How do you make Coffee? - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-21-2007, 03:15 PM   #113

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
Ok all you caffeine lovers here's the deal on the Kona coffee I got on Wednesday. lets start with GREAT!
The full story
My brother-in-law lives in Truckee Ca near Donner pass (another story). Anyway next to him is a smaller cabin. One morning we were having coffee and he told me he got the coffee from his neighbor how lives in Hawaii and owns a coffee farm! This was like 5 years ago we had this conversation. So when I decided to try and get some REAL Kona coffee not that Kona "Blend" junk this all came back to me. Long story short.... emailed brother-in-law who answered with info on this guys farm.

Here it is:
http://www.makahikifarms.com/index.htm
Jonathan & Nancy here at Makahiki Farms have some GREAT coffee. And for those of you who like to roast your own you can also get green coffee from them too. I personaly bought their sample pack of the 3 types of coffee beans they sell all 100% Kona. This pack came with:
1/2 pound of their "Extra Fancy" which is their best sorted bean the larger nice bean.
1/2 pound of their "Estate" which is a mixture of the extra fancy and other smaller beans
1/2 pound of the "Peaberry" which is when a single bean comes from the coffee cherry and is like only 4% of a crop.

So far I have been drinking the Extra Fancy only as I don't want to crack the seal on the other bags until I'm ready to start brewing it. This coffee is realy something different. I had never had 100% Kona before and there is NO bitterness to the coffee.

I have been emailing back and forth with Jonathan and Nancy at the Makahiki Farm and sure are nice. I learned a lot about Kona from their website. Their coffee is also stamped by the Kona Coffee Council that regulates an insures the quality of 100% Kona coffee. I learned a lot there too http://www.kona-coffee-council.com/

I was having so much fun I even Google Earthed their coffee farm near Captain Cook, Hawaii!

Click image for larger version

Name:	GoogleEarth_Image__4_.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	10593

Oh, and I bought a shirt too for the heck of it because their label is realy nice looking!

Click image for larger version

Name:	MakahikiFarms_label_unlettered.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	10594

Yesterday I saw our local coffee roaster at a farmers market and I brought her some of the coffee beans I got. She seemed impressed with the coffee and I think she is going to order some green coffee from them too. One of the guys she works with that was there actualy took a bean and chewed it up.... Something I have yet to try myself!

I have been using my regular drip pot and also my new Aeropress and I'm starting to go tward the Aeropress as I can control the strength better.

Anyway check them out I thought I would pass this on and any of you home roasters or people looking to try something different could look into it.

By the way they will roast it to your roast type preference too. The roast they typicaly send out is fairly dark so if you like a lighter roast consider that. The green coffee bean prices are not on their website but Nancy told me they are per pound:
Peaberry $16.50
Extra Fancy $15.00
Estate $13.50

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
products.jpg   t_shirt.jpg  

Old 10-21-2007, 08:05 PM   #114

Trailer: Play Mor II 1987 and Home Built Teardrop
Quote:
By the way they will roast it to your roast type preference too. The roast they typicaly send out is fairly dark so if you like a lighter roast consider that. The green coffee bean prices are not on their website but Nancy told me they are per pound:
Peaberry $16.50
Extra Fancy $15.00
Estate $13.50

Dave
I'm just on the verge of ordering a pound of each of the green. That's some expensive bean!! I'm accustomed to paying from $3-6 for a pound of green. However, I understand ( I think) why the Kona brings such a price. I have some Ethiopia Peaberry that is outstanding!! I'm just going to have to experience the Kona peaberry I guess. It's a toll free call from the US -- maybe just call the order in.

Geron

Old 10-21-2007, 09:28 PM   #115

Quote:
I'm just on the verge of ordering a pound of each of the green. That's some expensive bean!! I'm accustomed to paying from $3-6 for a pound of green. However, I understand ( I think) why the Kona brings such a price. I have some Ethiopia Peaberry that is outstanding!! I'm just going to have to experience the Kona peaberry I guess. It's a toll free call from the US -- maybe just call the order in.

Geron
Yes I'm sure you can call the order in to them and they would be happy to help you with what ever you need. They don't show the green in the order area I don't think. When I ordered the roasted coffee I just did it online and they use Paypal for payment so it was very easy for me. But they mention if you don't like Paypal or you have any questions just call them up.

Tell um Dave from Fresno sent ya and you may even get a discount.....

I wish it wasen't so late so I could have another cup right now.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:42 PM   #116

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
However, I understand ( I think) why the Kona brings such a price.
Does anyone here order the GEVALIA coffee?
Old 10-22-2007, 01:00 AM   #117

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
No, never got to try it. One of our wedding presents years ago was someone that ordered the Gevalia Coffee that came with the free coffeemaker and they regifted the coffeemaker to us, but kept the coffee for themselves.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:03 AM   #118

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Quote:
We did for a while. It was good, but expensive.

We now like and use Seattle's Best. We buy it at our local grocery store. cost about $7.99 to $9.49.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:16 AM   #119

Quote:
I never have. I have found from readind different coffee info that the best coffee is not only ground fresh beans and make the coffee immediatly but also getting beans that have been roasted within a few days. Coffee in a bag with a use by date of a year is not any good. Coffee you order and it is roasted just before being sent to you is the way to go. I Have noticed the difference in the coffees I am drinking now. I have been buying from a local roasting company that roasts thier different coffees just prior to going to the farmers market where I catch them. They roast Friday night and sell Saturday morning. You can tell the difference. Now I have gotten some fresh roasted Kona and realy like that even more. Roasted one day and onits way to me the next. No more cans from the store for me. Or Bags from Starbucks. I figure if I stop buying coffee drinks from Starbucks I can afford all the fresh Kona I could ever want.

I am now huntting for either a home roaster or the right type of old popcorn popper so I can try roasting my own. Really more for fun than expecting to start always roasting my own coffee. I love a good science experiment.

Dave
Old 10-22-2007, 05:17 AM   #120

Trailer: Play Mor II 1987 and Home Built Teardrop
Quote:
I am now huntting for either a home roaster or the right type of old popcorn popper so I can try roasting my own. Really more for fun than expecting to start always roasting my own coffee. I love a good science experiment.
Dave
Dave,

You've gone this far -- aero press and Kona coffee -- You just gotta try some home roasting. I've a couple or three "modded" poppers and the iRoast2 from Sweet Maria's. It's not really a problem or all that time consuming.

Grab a good book and after a couple or three hours you've got a good week's supply of fresh roasted coffee. A roast takes 7 to 12 minutes with a 20 minute wait between roasts ( 2-3 roasts per hour). The iR2 will roast about 140-150 grams of coffee per patch. 150 grams almost fills a pint fruit jar (roasted coffee) - depending on the bean. Go big time and get a drum roaster for your grill!!!
Matter of fact have to roast today - I'm getting low on coffee.

Geron
Old 10-23-2007, 01:28 AM   #121

Quote:
Dave,

You've gone this far -- aero press and Kona coffee -- You just gotta try some home roasting. I've a couple or three "modded" poppers and the iRoast2 from Sweet Maria's. It's not really a problem or all that time consuming.

Grab a good book and after a couple or three hours you've got a good week's supply of fresh roasted coffee. A roast takes 7 to 12 minutes with a 20 minute wait between roasts ( 2-3 roasts per hour). The iR2 will roast about 140-150 grams of coffee per patch. 150 grams almost fills a pint fruit jar (roasted coffee) - depending on the bean. Go big time and get a drum roaster for your grill!!!
Matter of fact have to roast today - I'm getting low on coffee.

Geron
Funny you should mention it. I just got a Poppery 2 today for 5 bucks. I don't have it yet as I found it on Craigsist in Sacramento and had my daughter who lives there go pick it up for me. I have come accross a whole BUNCH of websites showing how to mod these things I I think even without modding it you can roast in them as long as you put a can on top. I will be getting this popper this weekend and all I need is some green coffee for my first try. I'm gona do it!

Dave
Old 01-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #122

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
After reading some reviews I got one of these Bialetti Mukka Express stovetop cappuccino makers from Target ($90). It's very similar to the standard Bialetti coffee/espresso maker that Gina has, which works by putting it on the stove and heating the water in the bottom chamber, which pushes hot water through espresso grounds and into the pot on top, but this version has a steamer attachment in the top chamber that steams milk to make cappuccino or latte.

I haven't tried the cappuccino yet, but I've been using it at home and it makes pretty reasonable lattes and mochas. Not Starbucks quality, but still good, and it's easy to use and clean, too. It'll be nice to take it with us when we go out with the Scamp.

Name:   Bialetti_Mukka_Express.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  8.6 KB

--Peter
Old 01-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #123

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
this version has a steamer attachment in the top chamber that steams milk to make cappuccino or latte.
Attachment 11236

--Peter
We've had one for a little over a year now. The foam is a little "soft" when making cappuccino but when you are out in the woods it's a pretty good stand-in for the real thing.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #124

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
The stainless steel French press has been mentioned, and I just noticed Amazon has it on a 4 hr discount so the total is $49 instead of $69. Press doubles as an insulated carafe.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_to...7650469-8142309
Old 02-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #125

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I found a nifty little device at Tuesday Morning for $5. It is a Melitta Lilypod Espresso maker. It makes one cup from coffee pods (comes with 18 of them.) You put water and the pod in the bottom, milk if you want it in the cup, then put it in the microwave for 3 minutes. Voila, you have a latte or espresso.

http://www.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=66+324

I just tried it out and it works like a charm. Easy to clean- the coffee pod is in a filter pack, so comes right out, and the cup can be rinsed out like any cup.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:13 PM   #126

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I think one possibility would be a Melitta drip thingy. Boil your water on the stove and pour it into this coffee grounds filled filter frame placed over your coffee pot.
I'm soon to be a new owner of a 2008 Casita 17ft. SD April 7 and new to the camping world. So we've been preparing to buy the things we need to use and store in the Casita. Today I went to Walmart and bought a 8 c. stainless steel stovetop perculator not knowing there was something like this. When I came across this Melitta stander one cup drip. I ordered one today. So I'll just have to use the Stovetop perculator to heat the water for the coffee and use the hot water for dishes and other things to. Since we decided to buy this trailer last November 2007 I'm so excited about buying the things we need for it. But I'm being careful on what can fit and store in it .
Doreen/ Indiana

Tags
coffee, okra