How do you make Coffee? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2006, 02:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
[Moderator's note: A later topic on the same subject has been merged with this one.]

Original post:

We are going on our first campout in our Scamp, and I have our old tenting camp utensils including a small coffee pot thing--but it has nothing inside. Am I missing parts i don't remember, or can you make coffee in this thing. Most rv sites say get a percolator pot for stovetop or campstove. I do have a french press, but it's glass.
any suggestions, recipes???
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I think one possibility would be a Melitta drip thingy. Boil your water on the stove and pour it into this coffee grounds filled filter frame placed over your coffee pot.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium
Quote:
We are going on our first campout in our Scamp, and I have our old tenting camp utensils including a small coffee pot thing--but it has nothing inside. Am I missing parts i don't remember, or can you make coffee in this thing. Most rv sites say get a percolator pot for stovetop or campstove. I do have a french press, but it's glass.
any suggestions, recipes???
We like strong coffee so we use a stovetop (stainless steel) espresso contraption from the kitchen store (try looking for one at an Italian deli). We also sometimes use a french press that we got at Ikea for 12.00 so no big deal if it breaks. Someone told me about another Italian kind that you flip over or something?? I'm still looking to see one as I don't really know how it works or what it would look like.
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have Grandmas old espresso pot. It makes real coffee, in small amounts.

I actually make it more strong than anyone would drink, and then "thin" it with water a bit. The problem with this type of pot is that you cant make large amounts and then keep it warm. You have to make each cup, unless you use the thinning method WHILE IT IS STILL FRESH.

Here are my pots.. the red one is a regular perc maker that serves double duty for making many cups at once, or keeping the strong stuff warm. (Pour the strong suff in it and leave on burner).

Click image for larger version

Name:	coffeepots.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	4535

Also, look up "cold brew" coffee. It is basically making coffee paste and adding water for a full brew "instant". I tried it once.. was not overly impressed, but some folks swear by it.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:11 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We found an insulated French press that works good for us.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:44 PM   #6

Name: Roy
Trailer: Boler 1975 13 ft
California
Quote:
We found an insulated French press that works good for us.
I found a new unbreakable french press (acrylic) at the kitchen store lately and a a;; metal 12 oz one that is a commuter mug at the same time at Starbucks. And for expresso I use an old stove top expresso maker along with a stove top milk steamer... Yes I am into coffee.

Roy
Roy Massen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:14 AM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Yes I am into coffee.
Me Too!
Attached Thumbnails
Drink_Coffee.jpg  
Old 08-20-2006, 07:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Folgers makes coffeee dunking bags like teabags. We use those with a teapot and/or water that I heat in the 30-cup percolator. The rest of the water goes to wash the dishes. (When I have more time, don't need as much hot water, or want more flavor, I percolate flavored coffee in this pot.)
You could buy these bags and use the hot water from your pot.

CindyL
Old 08-21-2006, 04:34 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
We have an older, large camp cook kit that came with a coffee pot perculator. It may be the same coffee pot you have but your missing the guts. It makes about 6 cups (3 mugs for me) and has a holow tube that holds a basket on top where you put the coffee grounds. / when the water boils it comes up the center tube and spills over the grounds and on a cool damp morning it is just the smell you need to get things started.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:36 AM   #10

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
[quote]
Attachment 4535

They still sell the expresso machines exactly like the one on the right at Target stores here.

When we went out for a week recently, we used a French press.
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:45 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Here's what we use.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Old 08-21-2006, 03:14 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
We have a french press like Byron's that we use at home, but I find it awkward to clean the press while camping. Spooning out wet coffee grounds into a garbage sack was a big nuisance. Now we use Frederick's suggestion of Melitta coffee filters. Ours is called Ready Set Joe and it's particularly nice because it has a hole at the base of the plastic funnel that lets you see the level of coffee in your cup, to help you avoid adding too much water. It works best with very finely ground coffee. It makes a great cup of coffee, with instant cleanup!

Jeanne

Click image for larger version

Name:	coffeeontheroad.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	4596
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 1994 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I, like Roy, can't imagine camping without that first cup of coffee in the AM. And I collect coffee pots! I have four currently in my camper, all of them purchased at second hand stores, (Goodwill, Savers) for very little.

They are all (except one) based on adding boiling water to grounds. The big one is a three section aluminum drip pot consisting of a top section for the boiling water, a center basket for the filter and grounds, and a large bottom pot to hold the brewed coffee. It will make about 6-10 oz cups. Next is a Melita one cup filter, great for making one insulated mug of coffee, with very easy clean up. One is an Italian expresso maker, making coffee with steam that fits in those Little Bitty cups that hold about two thimblefulls of very strong stuff. The last is the French Press. I also have the metal one, that makes about two good size cups, or can be used as an insulated mug. And I also carry an old fashioned coffee grinder (yes, the kind with the crank on the top).

Now you see why I had to get the Scamp 5th Wheel, only way to carry all the coffee makings.

All of these beat making anything drinkable out of those "crystals" they call instant coffee.
Judy N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:05 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Thumbs down

Just a little food for thought:
Unattended Coffee Pot Ignites, Destroying RV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:04 PM   #15

Trailer: 1973 Trillium 13 ft
Thumbs up

You mean that people actually camp in places WITHOUT a Starbucks??????Isn't that taking roughing it a bit too far ?

Personally I have 2 percolators in the egg- one for the stove top and a small electric one. That way no matter where we are I can have my cuppa joe.
Then there is my itty bitty drip pot that only makes 1 cup at a time that I found at a flea market- great for a quick cup for 1. I carry pre-ground coffee and some round filters that fit all 3 pots. Nothing makes the egg feel more like home than the smell of decent coffee brewing.

For those of you who can't remember the OLDEN days of truely roughing it, you can still make boiled coffee in any old thing that will hold water- Set the water over the fire and throw a handful of coffee grounds into it when it boils. Let it simmer till dark enough to suit you. Just remember to let it sit for a few minutes so the grounds will sink to the bottom before you try to ladle it out into cups. Not recommended for the weak of heart or sensitive taste buds.

We have tried the "Coffee Bags" and I guess they might do for someone who only drinks a cup of coffee once a year, but we could not handle them as being anything like real coffee. Don't even get me started on instant coffee!!!!
Patricia Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Patricia,
What ever happened to the old idea of putting the grounds in an old sock which acted something like a filter. One didn't have to wait for the grounds to settle out.

Personally, when at home, I prefer a one cup Mellitta funnel and filter set-up which I have to use by filling twice with water because of the size of the mug. When camping, my insulated mug only holds one filling of water so I don't often get to consume as much.

I think I enjoy the smell of the coffee as much as the actual drinking of it.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:50 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Perc missing inside coffee ground holder = camp coffee. Any old container that can hold water, throw the grounds in, let boil.

Pour carefully! Or don't sip the last bits. (Not "good to the last drop"?)

My mom had an elegant old perc, beautiful to look at, shined to a gleam, that she would watch over, knowing exactly the moment when the colour of the liquid in the bubble at top meant it was ... Perfect Coffee.

You can also get little round coffee filters with a hole in the middle to put in before spooning in the ground coffee. Very classy.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:20 AM   #18

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
If you perk coffee without the inner thingy (boiling water with grounds dumped in) you can at the last moment dump in a little cold water. This is supposed to bring the grounds down to the bottom of the pot, so you can pour out just brewed coffee.

I remember a discussion on fgrv.com a while ago about "cold brewed" coffee. People made coffee "essence" and kept it in the fridge. They then mixed this with warm water when making a cup of coffee.

Can we revisit that discussion?? Who was it??
Jeremy Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:44 AM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
That would be me (I think). I had Cold Brewed Coffee over thrity years ago and it was great. It is sorta like SunTea only with Coffee and much stronger. So you add Hot water with the Cold Brew to make a cup of coffee. This is Really Rich, Smooth, Great Tasting coffee. (No Acid bite.)

Just found these links,
http://www.toddycafe.com/customerser...structions.php
http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/product.php?productId=67

PS: I can’t seem to duplicate the coffee my friends made. Maybe my tastes have changed.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 17 ft 2001 Casita Freedom Deluxe (one eyed CatSita)
when i was a kid, about 55 years ago, we hauled bees in the spring into the northern calif. mountains and slept on the gound.
coffee was made in an old coffee can....throw in a handfull with water and put it on the fire untill it boiled for awhile.

today, we have a cuisinart that grinds the beans first.
of course that means starting the generator first, which means, with others in camp, waiting untill after 0700.
Lou & Lora E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffee, okra