How often do you cook inside? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-30-2019, 10:47 AM   #1

Name: Art
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
How often do you cook inside?

I've camped out of tents, Popups, Travel trailers and a Teardrop. I typically cook outside with a coleman stove, over the fire pit or with dutch ovens. I've never done much cooking inside. I am getting a Casita and am wondering how often people actually cook inside? I can see rainy day cooking and using the microwave to warm up food that's already been cooked, but how many actually cook inside and do most of their food preparation inside their camper? Seems like I see more people putting cutting boards over the stove and over the sink to add more counter space. In bear country, is cooking inside a camper even a good idea since the smells will linger for a long time? I am sure this has been hashed over many times, but I am new to the forum and haven't seen the posts.

Art
ae6black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:05 AM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Art,

We have a 13" Scamp, we cook inside. A large portion of our trips are in excess of a 1000 miles one way. When we are on the road, we seldom use RV parks. Most of our one the road meals are modest, prepared, and cooked in the camper.

We try to think ahead and not cook meals that messy and have a lingering aroma. There is a lot to be said for simple foods, small portions, and no left overs.

BobH.
BobH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
About the only thing we ever use the trailer stove for is to boil a pot of water. We don't want the cooking odors and grease getting into the carpeting on the walls. We do all our meal cooking outside on our portable Camp Chef double burner propane stove, set up next to the campground picnic table wherever we are. Some people don't mind the odors, but some people smoke in their trailers too. It's your trailer, so whatever you want to do with it is up to you. I enjoy cooking and eating well, and I also enjoy a good cigar once in a while too, but not in the trailer. It's all done outside. YMMV
Casita Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:22 AM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
We never cook inside, unless it is raining, and then we use the microwave, not the stove. The stove has only been used to heat water for pour-over coffee. Just me, but I consider outside cooking as quintessential to the camping experience. Sometimes, to avoid nuked food on rainy days we use the rain as an “excuse” to go to a local restaurant.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:26 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
So far, never.

We sometimes bring our plates inside to eat when it's cold and/or windy, and I always pack a few simple-to-prepare emergency meals just in case. We've been known to grab to-go meals from a restaurant when we're arriving late to a destination.

But in camp we enjoy more elaborate, made-from-scratch meals that involve frying, grilling, seafood boils or other messy and smelly operations that don't adapt well to a tiny trailer. I'm with Carl on camping and food!

I love having the inside kitchen, though. We never have power, so the propane cooktop is our back-up. Options are good.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:26 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We almost never cook inside. The stove in our Uhaul has been removed and the Casita stove has a cover on it that is screwed down. If we have to heat up anything inside because of bad weather we use a small electric hot plate.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #7

Name: Allison
Trailer: 2016 17' Spirit Deluxe
Texas
We've only cooked inside twice...once to try it and once because we had no other choice. It works, but it's a tiny spot to work in and makes a mess. We much prefer to cook outside.
Alli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:25 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I frequently cook inside. Not counting steaks or brats which get grilled outside. Such an old topic, but whatever. Breakfast and dinner gets cooked. Lunches are almost always just a sandwich and pop.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:37 PM   #9

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp 16
Wisconsin
We cook inside!

While we are fairly new to our Scamp (purchased fall of 2017), and have only used it for a couple dozen days total, we do cook inside. Stove top, oven & broiler. I guess we are not particularly concerned about lingering odors - the food we prepare smells good, and we haven't noticed lingering offensive odors! We do have a range hood. We also cook with a single burner butane stove outside as well as over the fire (pit).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0466.jpg  
Brian5305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:47 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
We grill outside most of the time. In bad weather we cook inside, using both the stove top and microwave. The inside of the Oliver is fiberglass and odors are not an issue.
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
99% of our cooking is inside. If the weather is good, I'll make coffee outside, as I am up before my wife. Everything else is cooked inside.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
We tend to cook outside, at home and camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Smok'n.jpg  
Old 01-30-2019, 03:19 PM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Cook odoriferous foods outside and only boil cook items inside (oatmeal, string beans, peas, etc). My wife has to make coffee inside, its my alarm clock!
Old 01-30-2019, 03:23 PM   #14

Name: Brett
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13'
Oregon
We've only used our Scamp 13' a few times so far, but we cooked inside multiple meals. My wife is of the mind that we got a camper that has a stove, so use the stove! That's what it's for!
Branklins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:30 PM   #15

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I cook inside 99% of the time. I live in Montana (aka Bear Country).

Even storing dry goods in the camper is possibly as much a bear attractant as cooking inside.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:42 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm thinking I'd rather have a bear trashing the BBQ over at the picnic table than checking out the trailer for food scraps ( me ).
Old 01-30-2019, 04:53 PM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
We stay mostly in RV parks on extended winter getaways and cook almost exclusively in the boler. I'm no good at BBQ and Mar doesn't use it. Every so often I'll mess up a perfectly good steak serving it red or black,,, lol
SO,,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_00000362.jpg  
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:10 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I cook inside 95% of the time. The only time outside is I'm using the BBQ... and that's if I even pack it. I bought a FSC (fully self contained) trailer for a reason. I got tired of schlepping stuff out of the garage to go camping. Gave up the tent, Coleman stove, etc. when I bought the trailer and have never looked back. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:37 PM   #19

Name: Susan
Trailer: Scamp
New Mexico
Almost always cook inside- but we've only been camping in chilly weather. Its really the main reason we got the camper. I became very tired of trying to cook in rain, snow, 50 mph winds, dust storms, pitch dark etc. with the tent.
We cook pretty basic, (left over from tent camping I guess) with a stove top coffee percolater & a Coleman stove top oven- no microwave.
Poodlesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:38 PM   #20

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Mostly inside. Hauling all the stuff out to cook (with multiple trips to get the thing I didn't think of at first, or at second!) gets tedious. Easier to do it inside where everything is stored. But grilling that will create smoke is done outdoors. Also, if it's really nice outside and no bugs (so I can leave the door open for an extended period), I'm likely to cook outside.

Note: I don't have carpet or rat fur on the walls, to hold the odors.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote