hungry boys - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #21

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Family Fresh Meals..........

Homemade Healthy Hamburger Helper Recipe - Family Fresh Meals
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #22

NE Oklahoma
Our all-time favorite is what we call a Taco-Salad.

Lettuce/onions/shredded cheese/ranch-style beans, drained/tomatoes/fritos/catalina dressing

Bowls always come back home completely empty where it's a pot luck, church dinner,
family dinner. Everyone seems to like it no matter what other foods are there.

We mix it ahead and add the fritoes and dressing just before serving.
Some people add ground meat to it. Cooked of course. I can eat the whole bowl
myself in one setting.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #23

NE Oklahoma
I love cornbread and beans. BUT.............
Today I fixed myself some beans but didn't have cornbread.
We've found that we can substitute crunched fritoes instead.

Beans + corn = complete protein

Fritoes is nothing more than corn product.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Were talking about boys here try Chips and salsa, buy the smaller jars and bags so they open it and eat it all no refrigeration. Jiffy pop and Beef jerky to fill the voids. find out what dried cerial they each want and portion out a service size and pack in ziplock bags, pack the whole box load and leave the box at home. if they eat it like popcorn thats ok, if they want milk pour it in the bag. Top Ramen is eaten wet or dry out of a ziplock too. Look into going boil in a bag for all the finiky eaters. Make up meals and freeze them in the bag. at a time to eat in off hours boil water and plop in a bag or two. We carry individually wrapped cheeze, beef jerkey, jello, fruit and pudding cups. They will all want stuff they can pick-up and run off with. A big ol tub of licorice works well too. We also use Koolaide and lemonade packets you add to a bottle of water. much easier than 5 cases of different types of soda to keep everyone happy. Might look into making your own ice cream while camping. kinda like a fun time killing treat to get past the I'm Bored syndrome. Dont forget a boat load of squirt guns, keeps them busy for hours. plan on at least 3 for each person in the camp. there are always other kids out and about. the easier you make it for them the easier your vacation will be for you. The last thing you want to do is plan on having 3 square sitdown meals a day or you wont get much vacation time for yourselves and you'll just be the caterer.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #25

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
You've got some great ideas here! Steve, especially, has the right idea. Lots of easy to prepare food and lots of fun activities. Teen boys are bottomless pits when it comes to eating. Plenty of yummy food and they are happy. The "homemade Hamburger Helper" recipe says it serves 4 but I'll bet it serves ONE teenage boy!

I recently discovered "pie irons" for cooking over the campfire coals. While certainly not required, it is fun to make pies, sandwiches, cakes, etc. Check out this website to answer all your questions Welcome to Pie Iron.com - home of the original Rome sandwich cooker. I bought my pie iron from Eddie Bauer, of all places, for half price! Perhaps your friends have some tucked away.

Remember that the following fresh produce packs easily and requires no or little refrigeration: potatoes, onions, cabbage, head lettuce, carrots, garlic, apples, oranges.

Aside from using Zip Loc bags for mixing, cooking and eating you might have dishes to wash too (Even though I'm an environmentalist, I have nothing against using paper products while camping. Used paper products can be burned AND they save a ton of water and human power). I suggest each person have their assigned cup, bowl and dish (perhaps matching colors). The camper is required to eat (or wipe with newspaper or paper towel) their plate clean AND wash it. They then put the wet dishes and utensils in a net "ditty bag" (a lingerie bag works well...just call it a "ditty bag") and hang them from the clothes line with clothespins. When it's time to eat they just grab their ditty bag, eat and repeat!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #26

California
Registry
Here's more:
Have you ever cooked in orange rinds or onion cups? See below...
Orange Peel Campfire Muffin
Wow, this site shows cooking in an orange, lemon, onion AND pineapple!
Studio 5 - Cooking on a Campfire

I was a Girl Scout and sometimes camped with my parents and brother. Truthfully, the only food I remember is S'mores! You simply can't go camping without them!

If you choose instant oatmeal (I see no reason why as old fashioned oatmeal is very easy to cook. The secret is to let it sit awhile after cooking, letting the moisture absorb) I suggest that you buy a large container and don't bother with the little envelopes. Those boys will want a lot of oatmeal (if they like it). Top it with brown sugar, butter, milk, nuts, dry fruit.

We always bring some of our favorite homemade items that keep well; Italian biscotti, granola and GORP (trail mix). Following is my Italian Biscotti recipe. Make lots as they keep forever and everyone loves them!

Lastly, (I think) I suggest planning meals for one week only and repeating it each week. Remember the KISS principle. Keep It Simple Sweetie!

Here are some simple meal ideas:
Make - Ahead Meals

1. Jambalaya
  2. Spaghetti
  3. Spanish Rice
  4. Chili
  5. Beef Stroganoff
  6. Tacos
  7. Potatoes au Gratin with ham
  8. Enchiladas
  9. Stew (do not overcook)
  10. Pulled pork or chicken for sandwiches
5 Meals for Hot Days

1. Gazpacho
  2. Vegetable Salad
  3. Rice Salad
  4. Sandwiches
  5. Stuffed tomatoes

Italian Biscotti
Twice-Baked Cookies
Original Recipe
and
Trail Mix Variation

• 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup (½ lb.) butter melted (Note: works with ½ cup butter)
    • (Optional, but authentic: 4 TBLS. Anise seed, ¼ cup anise-flavored liqueur )
  • Original: 3 tbls. Bourbon or 2 teas. vanilla and 2 tbls. water and 2 cups coarsely chopped TOASTED walnuts or almonds (Roast nuts or 20-30 minutes, turning frequently)
    • OR: Trail mix variation (see below)
      1. Mix sugar with butter, vanilla. Add “optional” anise seed and anise-flavored liqueur here.
            • OR add bourbon (OR vanilla and water) here.
  • 6 eggs
2. Beat in the eggs.
  • 5 ½ cups all purpose flour (1 LB. 9 3/8 oz.)
  • 1 TBLS baking powder

1. Measure flour and sift with baking powder, add into sugar and egg mixture.

• Optional Ingredients: oats and cinnamon
4. Using heavy-duty dough paddle attachment, add original nuts
    • OR trail mix ingredients here.

5. Weigh out 8 (9 oz.) sections of dough, wrap in waxed paper formed into “fat sausages”. Place in lasagne pan. Chill for 2-3 hours or overnight.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured board shape dough with your hands into a 1” thick “snake” as long as your cookie sheets. Flatten “snake” to make loaves that are about ½ inch thick and 2 inches wide. Place no more than 3 loaves, parallel and well apart, on a buttered (or parchment-lined) cookie sheet (an insulated one without rims is best).

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes. Check the bottom of the cookies. They should be very brown but not burnt.

Remove from oven and let loaves cool on pans until you can touch them, then cut carefully with serrated knife in diagonal slices that are about ½ to ¾ inch thick. Lay slices close together on cookie sheet and return to the oven (375 degrees) for 10 or more minutes until lightly toasted. Cool on wire racks and store in airtight containers. Makes about 9 dozen.

Trail Mix Variation: (Trail mix variation: 2 teas. vanilla and 2 TBLS. water and 5 cups trail mix; almonds, walnuts, cranberries and raisins [Note: soak raisins so they don't burn])

Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #27

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Here are a few suggestions we use with our boys 11-16.
1. Trail mix of a variety of types (nuts, granola, chex mix, raisins, favorite candy - M&M's...) Be creative, let them choose...
2. Dried fruit - apples, cherries, bananas...
3. Hobo pies/tonka pies/other names for the two pieces of bread with stuff in between metal cooker. Our kids love this. Pizza toppings, pie filling from a can, cheese....
4. ziplock bags of precooked fried hamburger easily turns into any of the hamburger helpers or for us more likely spaghetti, chili, tacos...
5. pasta dishes where you just have to add a little meat don't take up tons of fridge room
6. chips and salsa
7. dried food (Mountain House: Freeze Dried Food, Food Storage, Camping Food, Backpacking Food, Emergency Preparedness. for example) has a variety of good dried food dinners. We are fond of the rice/chicken/spaghetti versions. Desserts are good too .
8. Breakfasts like pancakes, french toast, omelets... are all possible with basics like eggs/milk/bread.
9. I would do as much prep work before as possible (precook, bag, measure...)
10. I would bring up a big cooler with block ice and frozen meat and some eggs, cheese, and basic stuff. It should get you through a few days. When the 17 year old comes have him bring another cooler with xyz (assuming he isn't coming the same day you are).
11. Lots of boxes of crackers and snacks.
12. Assuming you have a water source, we bring flavored drink powder. We drink 90% plain water, but if the water "tastes funny" the lemonade or ... is priceless.
13. We do big breakfast and supper and smaller lunches so we don't feel like we are spending all day on food.
14. Kids love to cook anything over a fire. Dutch oven cooking even if you just do desserts are always a treat with the family.
15. If you have the room and have electricity we sometimes borrow a "dorm fridge" for extra fridge space.

I don't think making it a week without a run to the store is too hard, and with some work you could do all two weeks without a run to the store. Detailed planning has always been key for us.

Have a great time. Our family memories of camping with multiple relatives have been worth every effort.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #28

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
precooked bacon. No refrigeration required.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #29

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
precooked bacon. No refrigeration required.
Forgot about that one. It's been years since we've bought
any of that.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #30

California
Registry
I love orange TANG made with real sugar. I'll only drink the stuff when camping! It's a great substitute for orange juice (OK, it doesn't taste anything like fresh-squeezed, but it's good for camping) I have found it at LUCKY stores in the States.

Eggs are versatile yet can be difficult to transport while camping 'cause those paper cartons "melt" when wet and the plastic ones just don't hold up. We love this carrier, "Snap n Stack", which holds 2 dozen eggs (much better than those egg holders you find at the camping store) http://www.containerstore.com/shop?p...117&N=&Ntt=egg