Instant Pot? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-11-2018, 06:28 AM   #29

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Boon dcoking with IP?

Great replies all.

We may actually start shopping for one

Looks like the 6 qt is only 1,000 watt so the Honda 2K watt generator would handle it especially if cook times were only a few hours.

Does anyone use theirs with a generator?

Bat Dude

Old 02-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #30

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Great replies all. We may actually start shopping for one Looks like the 6 qt is only 1,000 watt so the Honda 2K watt generator would handle it especially if cook times were only a few hours. Does anyone use theirs with a generator? Bat Dude
Look for the "Duo" model if you anticipate wanting the option to cook at low temp, too, and make things like yogurt. We also have a Honda 2K generator, and haven't used it to power the Instant Pot yet, but we wouldn't hesitate to if needed.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:41 PM   #31
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot (8), Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape (3), Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
Mike Magee....Gosh, too bad you are so far away in Oklahoma. I'll bet you have some great garage sales!

Deb
Old 02-11-2018, 10:32 PM   #32

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Chuck View Post
Mike Magee....Gosh, too bad you are so far away in Oklahoma. I'll bet you have some great garage sales!

Deb
Nope, she's also a pack rat... never gets rid of anything.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Trailer: Bigfoot (8), Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape (3), Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
Hmmm...

Mike Magee....sounds like I "might" be related to your wife .

Deb
Old 02-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #34

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Chuck View Post
I have 3- instant pots (6-6-8 sizes), and carry one of the 6 quart Instant pots in our trailer. I also have a Saratoga Jacks thermal cooker. I carry a professional food thermometer to test the temperatures of my food in the thermal cooker when using it. I don't think it is a good idea if you are going to be gone 10-12+ hours. I am a kitchen gadget nut because we like to eat good food and know what is in it and where it came from. None of these appliances sit on a shelf and go unused- they are used on a weekly basis.

Deb
Thanks for the real world experience. What is your normal max length of time on the thermal cooker? 4-5 hours? 6-8?
Old 02-12-2018, 05:56 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Washington
Thermal Cooker times

The most I have left the thermal pot cooking and then checked the temperature is about 6 hours before eating.

Deb
Old 02-12-2018, 11:50 PM   #36

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
I agree with Deb on the Instant Pot. It's great and so versatile! I talked to Donna about the thermal cooker. We have the Saratoga Jack, so does Deb. I have the 5.5L. It is foam insulated. The company does not recommend going longer than 8 hours and I would be hesitant to go that long without a good thermometer or reheating. If you had a long day on the road you could, in theory, reheat it at lunch and be good until dinner. You can get a more expensive vacuum insulated model and I have seen tests that go 8 hrs on those but I have not found one with the double pots which are very handy. It's nice not having to use power. There are loads of reviews on the IP - here's a great one for the thermal cookers: https://theboatgalley.com/thermal-cooker/

Kathie

Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #37

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner
Georgia
Thanks for the responses on my thermal pot questions. And sorry for the hijack from Instant Pot.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #38

Name: Mike
Trailer: In the market
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Meats pressure cooked turned out tender but did not taste as good somehow... not caramelized the way they are in the oven, I guess.
Yep, it's the same issue that people who cook sous vide run into. I would recommend cooking meats to within 10-15 degrees of done and then searing them on a grill of some sort or a cast iron pan.

Brown is Beautiful, or, Why we love bark, crust, caramelization and the Maillard reaction
Old 02-18-2018, 09:30 PM   #39

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I haven't yet purchased an Instant Pot, still thinking! However I spotted this earlier today and thought I'd give you a heads up. No idea who uses what model but I'd hate to hear about campers and homes going up in flames.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2015/in...double-insight
Old 02-18-2018, 10:43 PM   #40

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
I haven't yet purchased an Instant Pot, still thinking! However I spotted this earlier today and thought I'd give you a heads up. No idea who uses what model but I'd hate to hear about campers and homes going up in flames.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2015/in...double-insight
Any Instant Pot purchased in the last year and half is past the recall for this brand. Only 1,140 were affected. The recall was for a shock hazard, not a fire hazard.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM   #41

Name: Chase
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Ontario
My GF and I bought the 6 quart InstantPot a few weeks ago for the trailer. We've done fajitas, shepherds pie, and lemon chicken as trial runs. The texture of the meat is more consistent with what one would expect of the pulled variety, think pulled pork or pulled chicken or pulled beef brisket. The flavor is still there, but the texture is a little different although not undesirable. We've really enjoyed the meals so far and get a serious kick out of being able to cook raw chicken in ten minutes, and cubed potatoes in 8 minutes. It actually took me longer to fry the peppers for the fajitas than to cook the chicken, and it took longer for me to mash the potatoes than to cook them.
I don't exactly trust the wiring in my trillium, so the 1000W pot will likely only get used when we can plug it directly into our extension cord, but we are happy that it opens up different path to meals since cooking inside the trailer can make it very hot inside, and camp fires aren't the most consistent. We have a small BBQ as well, but somethings just aren't practical to cook on the BBQ.
-Chase

« Rum Ribs | - »