Instant Pot? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Instant Pot?

Hi all,

Anyone in FG land have experience with the Instant Pot, pressure cookers etc?

Apparently one can make yogurt, etc. as well.
The 6 qt draws only 1000 W so Boondocking will be OK with our Honda 2K.
The 6 qt vs 3 qt has the advantage thate it cooks meat in < 4 hours vs 6 hrs.

Thinking ahead,

Still pondeering the upsizing to a 19 Escape...

Bat Dude
Old 02-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
It cooks meat far quicker than that. While it can be used as a slow cooker, it's main advantage is as a pressure cooker. Dinner usually in less than 30 minutes, not 4 to 6 hours. The 3 quart model should be fine if its just two of you. We like ours.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:07 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
We have the 6 quart model we use at home. Its definitely a time saver. For the rv I was going to look into a stove top pressure cooker to save on electricity.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #4

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
We have the 6 qt duo and love it. My wife uses it all the time at home, including making yogurt. And she even cooked duck in it for our New Years dinner. Makes short order of cooking up a batch of Navy beans and the like. Perfect for quickly preparing a home-made dish for an RV rally pot luck dinner.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
If you are "old school" like me, you should look at the small pressure cookers from Hawkins. I have the 2 liter and the 3 liter models. They work great at home, in the trailer or outside on a Coleman stove. There are several Youtube videos on how to use.

https://www.amazon.com/HAWKIN-Classi...70_&dpSrc=srch
Old 02-08-2018, 03:49 PM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
The yogurt setting is also great for bread dough. I also like that you can use the instant pot outside (in good weather, obviously) and save venting steam in the trailer. Makes a mean cheesecake, too. And you can cook things from frozen.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I know this thread is about the Instapot and my daughter is a huge fan. But she works and has kids and getting a nutritious meal on the table quickly is important to her. I'm retired... so fast isn't in my vocabulary I have four slow cookers that work at home just fine for me.

What I want, is something to cook with on the road. I'm buying a thermal cooker. Once the food is in the pot and it's brought up to temperature on the stove top, close it up and it continues to cook without any stove or power... SWEET. Fix in the morning, hot food for food dinner. All the while cooking when sitting in the trailer sink or a cardboard box in the truck. I'm seriously looking at this: Home Page | Thermal Cookers | Saratoga Jacks
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:37 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
What's the difference between the food from these Insta-pots, or thermal cookers and opening a can of Campbell's Chunky soup and dumping it into a saucepan?
Old 02-08-2018, 07:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
What's the difference between the food from these Insta-pots, or thermal cookers and opening a can of Campbell's Chunky soup and dumping it into a saucepan?
Nothing if you just consider all that food. But there's a difference in food... peanut butter and jelly sandwich versus steak sandwich.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:30 PM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Donna, if you get one, please post some of your experiences. I held off when I saw some comments (I don't remember where - probably Amazon user reviews) that the time that a stew will still be hot is closer to 5-6 hours than eight. That put a little damper on my vision of fishing all day and coming back after the evening hatch to a hot meal; that could be more like 10-12 hours, which is when I'd really want to be already set up for hot food.
Other than that, sure seems like the ticket.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingBob View Post
Donna, if you get one, please post some of your experiences. I held off when I saw some comments (I don't remember where - probably Amazon user reviews) that the time that a stew will still be hot is closer to 5-6 hours than eight. That put a little damper on my vision of fishing all day and coming back after the evening hatch to a hot meal; that could be more like 10-12 hours, which is when I'd really want to be already set up for hot food.
Other than that, sure seems like the ticket.
I'll be sure to post, if I buy it. Although I doubt I'll be cooking for 10-12 hours, more like 7-9 at most. I'l talk to my bud Kathie (Dave&Kathie) they've got a Sarasota Jack's thermal cooker and find out if Kathie thinks there's a downside or limitation to cooking length of time.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:02 AM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We got an 8 quart Instant Pot for Xmas when our slow cooker died. We love it (although I make Kevin do the pressure cooking. I am kind of afraid of it.)! We make the best home-made yogurt in it. Beef and pork roasts are done in a little over an hour, as tender as if I had slow cooked them for 8 hours. Lasagna and soup work well in the pot. Those are the things we have done so far. We tend to use it as the way to cook our main meal item. I know some people have several for a variety of items. I don't see us doing that, although I might get another liner at some point.

It might just go with us camping, if we are gone a longer time, probably not for short trips. Well worth the money!

CindyL
Old 02-09-2018, 07:48 AM   #13

Name: Mo
Trailer: Still looking
Texas
I have the Duo 6 instant post and it really is too big for just the two of us, both in the amount of food it can cook and in the foot print it takes up in the kitchen. The three-quart wasn't an option when I bought mine.

If I had to do it over again, I'd definitely get the three quart. And yes, I've thought it would be awesome for camping if there is electricity available. I think most people love it for the pressure cooker option.

It is interesting to me that Instant Pot has a cult following without ever advertising.

Googling "instant pot for camping" returns a lot of entries devoted to the topic.
June Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:51 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Instant Pot? Is that like instant coffee?
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #15

Registry
I am sure you could pressure cook instant coffee if you want to, but I urge you use it for something like a roast. We made chicken fajita soup tonight.

Interestingly, I found instant coffee as something I had to cook a recipe in using my Instant Pot.

CindyL
Old 02-10-2018, 07:24 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
Instant Pot? Is that like instant coffee?
Now that would be a great thing! Bring a bag of lightweight powder, add water and presto!... instant pot.

Guess we'll have to work on how you de-constitute it for the trip home.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Instant pot/ Thermal pots

I have 3- instant pots (6-6-8 sizes), and carry one of the 6 quart Instant pots in our trailer. I also have a Saratoga Jacks thermal cooker. I carry a professional food thermometer to test the temperatures of my food in the thermal cooker when using it. I don't think it is a good idea if you are going to be gone 10-12+ hours. I am a kitchen gadget nut because we like to eat good food and know what is in it and where it came from. None of these appliances sit on a shelf and go unused- they are used on a weekly basis. I garden and pressure can meats and other things at home during the year for the same reasons. I cook dinners for friends that are home-bound due to health problems and these appliances save me so much time. I am also doing dehydrated meals in jars or mylar with oxygen absorbers for camping and traveling. I call these my home made fast foods. I love all of my choices for camping plus my Cobb cooker.
I will probably be doing a short "class" demonstration at the Oregon Gathering at Bullard's Beach in Bandon, Oregon in July for any of you that have reservations for that and want to see all of these choices with a short explanation and demonstration of how they work. Possible taste tests too.

Deb
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:48 PM   #18

Registry
We may have to add a smaller one to take in the camper, although I wonder if the 8 qt and 6 qt have much storage difference. The 8 qt one we have might be fine. The meals and yogurt that it makes can't be beat. Besides, the time-savings of the IP give you more time to enjoy camping.
And for money-conscious people, here is what the yogurt saves. We use whole organic milk (have not tried other kinds) that costs almost six dollars and makes the best Greek yogurt I have tasted (Kevin makes it.). A gallon of milk fills three 4 cup containers of yogurt. A single container at the store of the same size and quality of yogurt is $6.00. Quite a savings! And great food!

Now, frankly, we have a Bigfoot Silver Cloud, so we have more space than others for storing an Instant Pot. it takes up less space than the large roaster we bought for cooking hot dogs at the Bourbon rally though.

CindyL
Old 02-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Instant pots

Cindy L. --- I have had the 2 - 6 quarts for a few years and at the time I bought them they were the only size offered. One was found at a return store for Amazon and heavily discounted so couldn't pass it up. I find the 8 quart stays home because it is so big and heavy compared to the 6 qt. but when I need to make a big batch of something I pull out the 8 qt. You probably know Instant Pot recently came out with the 3 qt. but I would only use that for small sides so I don't have one. I can do everything I need to including making yummy cheesecakes ( 35 minutes) in my 6 qt. when camping. (We only have a 21 foot Bigfoot not a 28 ft. )

Deb
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #20

Registry
Yes, I don't see us ever using a 3 quart, even with only 2 of us. Leftovers make good lunches or second meals. I don't see us cooking sides in a pressure cooker either. We have the Bigfoot stove and microwave. Maybe it is time to ditch the camper slow cooker for a smaller IP for fiberglass rally meals, although that argues for the larger IP. Hmmm another 8 qt? It would also give us 2 inner liners for the house when not camping. Maybe I can store it in our unused oven . I don't think we have used the oven yet since we got our Silver Cloud other than storage.

Certainly, we have a Keurig for both house and camper .

CindyL