Instant potatoes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2016, 09:06 PM   #21

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Well, if you are having instant mashed potatoes, you might as well cover the potatoes with some great Country Gravy Mix....instant, of course...just add water! I like the pepper gravy mix.

Problem is there are so many different instant mashed potatoes available! Four Cheese, Buttery Homestyle, Applewood Smoked Bacon, etc.

Most instant food products have come a long way, and other than those sold as Trail Backpacking Food, i have found quite good. nothing like my dear old Granny used to make...but quite tasty!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #22

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
[QUOTE=Hazel in Sk;566766]I have eaten instant, dehydrated potatoes a few times. Thought they were better than going hungry! Today I spotted this site on my screen -

How to Make Dehydrated Potato Flakes from Scratch | The Homesteading Hippy

my 2 cents worth Good spuds are hard to find this time of the year As I like a waxy spud that dont crumble up when boiled such as yokon gold ( no Russets) Trouble is Yokon's don't keep well and if you find some they mostly have been treated with a chemicle to preserve them! So March April and May are tough. And I think this would be a good way to keep good mashed spuds around.In my 80+ years i have the best spud for storage is called "Nicohle" Those are just begning to sprout in my root celler now so i have been expireamenting with the dried thing. I have had good sucess with them so far and I took the liberty to add some rutabeggi to mine
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #23

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
They're Yukon Gold, not "yokon", whatever that would be.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:04 AM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
They're Yukon Gold, not "yokon", whatever that would be.
It's the phonetic spelling of yukon .If you lived in Minnesota or ever saw the movie FARGO you would understand.

Lifelong Minnesotan
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:08 AM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
For what it's worth, Good Housekeeping has done reviews of instant potatoes: Instant Mashed Potatoes - Best Instant Potatoes
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #26

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I grew up on Betty Crocker boxed Scalloped potatoes. 😊I take a sachet of the garlic potatoes with me when I camp. Nobody dies. Former military, plenty of MRE's and other field chow covered in sand and ants and well you guessed it. I'm not overly fussy about my chow. 🐷

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:36 AM   #27
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
After spending over 30 years on various college campuses you grow a taste for cafeteria food. Some "potatoes buds", a can of turkey gravy, a slice of Wonder bread, and some sliced deli turkey (Boarshead no salt turkey is the best) makes a quick comfort food meal after a long day on the road. And with practice you can make it with one pot Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:24 AM   #28

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I'm smiling and remembering this dining fare and pleasure, Raz. 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:45 PM   #29

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Will be trying some instant spuds when camping in the summer. You guys have convinced me to at least TRY 'em.

We eat potatoes in a wide variety of ways (used to grow acres of them to sell at Farmers Markets and to regular customers all winter (big root cellars for them and carrots, cabbage, turnips, parsnips etc!).

Dudley said I should invite you up to see the outstanding beauty of northern Saskatchewan - so consider this an invite! Actually the southern part is quite outstanding too - prairie in all its glory.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:05 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'd like to say, I was not trying to convince you to eat instant potatoes. I was trying to explain the folly of making your own instant potatoes - the work involved and the cost of electricity.
I think the passion now is for fresh, locally grown produce - gluten free.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:04 PM   #31

Saskatchewan
I bought a box of Idahoan Instant Potatoes. Served them while camping with three teenage grandsons at Prince Albert National Park and they loved them. One said he is going to make his mum buy them because they are better than her regular mashed potatoes! ¥
Old 08-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
I bought a box of Idahoan Instant Potatoes. Served them while camping with three teenage grandsons at Prince Albert National Park and they loved them. One said he is going to make his mum buy them because they are better than her regular mashed potatoes! ¥
Better living through chemistry.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:29 AM   #33

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Happy to hear they liked he Idahoans. I get the packages rather than the box but a package wouldn't feed three teenagers so you probably did right. I get them at Giant Tiger and they carry about 5 different flavours. They are small and light, easy to carry in our boler without taking up much room and don't grow stuff in the hot humid weather.
Also, I've used them for a mashed potatoe salad when it's too hot to cook potatoes. I made potatoe latkes (pancakes) and I have also used them for a cream cheese and sour cream potato "bake" by simply replacing the boiled and mashed potatoes the recipe calls for.
I have family in both Sask, and Manitoba and yes it is beautiful out there. That big sky is simply amazing.
happy camping
Old 08-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #34

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Well now there you go! I read through the conversation and thought...man...what a lot of work for potatoes!

The wife and I do it a little differently. We never "boondock" (I have but not her) so most of the time, we'll travel VERY light (can goods etc) and go to a local grocery store somewhere upon arrival. I'd MUCH rather do this than haul 100lbs + worth of groceries!!

Quote:
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
I also use the packaged Idahoans when it's way too hot to turn the stove on (like right now in Southern Ontario) - to make creamy mashed potatoe Salad. We like the mashed potatoes in a salad rather than the chunky and if you do too, I'll gladly share if you want the recipe.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #36

Saskatchewan
Inviting the posting of recipes using instant mashed potatoes. I've never even heard of a salad with mashed ones. Wondering how they'd work for potato soup?
Old 08-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Inviting the posting of recipes using instant mashed potatoes. I've never even heard of a salad with mashed ones. Wondering how they'd work for potato soup?
My family always preferred creamy potato salad, rather than chunky. Matter of taste for everyone, but here's the recipe using the Idahoans. I may try making potato soup with them now that you have suggested it. I'll let you know if I do. Bon Appetit.

Salad: Instant Idahoan Potato Salad

1- 113g Pkg Buttery Herb Idahoan Instant potatoes made with 2 cups boiling water as per instructions. (or measure out 113g from boxed Idahoans. I haven’t tried the other flavours of this product yet)

1 cup Hellman’s Mayo or Mayo lite
1 Tbsp prepared yellow mustard
1 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp splenda or white sugar
¼ cup sweet relish
Pepper to taste (there’s enough salt in the packaged potatoes)

Whip everything together and let set in refrigerator until cold.
Option: top with sliced boiled eggs, lemon slices, mint leaves etc. as preferred.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:20 PM   #38

Got instant T-bone and instant carrots to go with that?
Old 08-11-2016, 04:21 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Got instant T-bone and instant carrots to go with that?
Funnnnnnnnnnnnyy! Different strokes for different folks. I already know what you think about "living with chemistry". But it works for me.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:46 PM   #40

Actually, I keep several cans of small white cooked potatoes on hand. They come whole or sliced. Drain the can, pat dry the potatoes, wrap in foil with garlic cloves and salt and pepper and place on the BBQ ( medium ) for 20 to 30 minutes.
Also great for pan fry using bacon grease, salt and pepper, red and yellow pepper.