K cup coffee making without electricity - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2017, 03:10 PM   #1

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
K cup coffee making without electricity

For those campers who love the no mess convenience of k cups we now have a way to use them in a French press setup that works with hand pressure and does not require a big machine to lug around or electricity to run it. This setup is very similar to using the Aero Press coffee maker.

Right now there seems to only be one of these non electric K cup systems available. It is called "Cafejo My French Press". This product does come with the ability to use your own ground coffee as well as the K cup adapter option which is part of the product kit. So it is quite versatile and can please the various preferences of people who travel together. Here is the video showing how to use it.

I am going to seriously consider adding this coffee maker to my Christmas wish list. I love my Aero Press but grinding beans makes a mess to clean up. Plus the Aero Press is finicky about just the right grind and not all the grocery store grinders get it just right the way I can with my home grinder where I have figured out the perfect settings. Plus carrying my home grinder means one more bulky electric appliance that I have to make space for. Water savings of less mess to clean is also nice. An interesting compromise solution to think about that can work for off-grid to minimize electric and water use.

But for making excellent coffee from your own favorite blend that you grind fresh the Aero Press is going to do a better job than this Cafejo system as you can let it brew in the cylinder before you press the plunger. My reason for posting this is for giving a viable off-grid option to those k-cup lovers
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
K cup coffee making without electricity

I actually have a different model that has been around a while but i can not get to it right now.
I got it at Walmart for under 10 bucks and it is a press too i think from Presto?
Works pretty well too!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:26 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The one I use

'Right now there seems to only be one of these non electric K cup systems available'

Here is another option https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...o+coffee+maker is what I use, and I think I bought it a couple of years ago.
It works very well and does k-cups and your own grind.
Charles Abel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
I love my Aero Press but grinding beans makes a mess to clean up. Plus the Aero Press is finicky about just the right grind and not all the grocery store grinders get it just right the way I can with my home grinder where I have figured out the perfect settings. Plus carrying my home grinder means one more bulky electric appliance that I have to make space for. Water savings of less mess to clean is also nice. An interesting compromise solution to think about that can work for off-grid to minimize electric and water use.

But for making excellent coffee from your own favorite blend that you grind fresh the Aero Press is going to do a better job than this Cafejo system as you can let it brew in the cylinder before you press the plunger. My reason for posting this is for giving a viable off-grid option to those k-cup lovers
I don't find grinding messy at all, and nothing, not the origin of the bean, the roast profile, nor the type of brewer will benefit the taste of a cup of coffee like fresh ground will do. My electric home grinder stays there and I bring along a good quality manual grinder, along with the AeroPress.

Clean up with the AeroPress is a breeze, the grounds go in the bushes (or garbage on the rare occasion of being in a campground), and the rest gets a quick rinse. Easy peasy.

I have had a few cups of coffee from these K-cups pods, and it always tastes stale to me. You obviously can appreciate the cup the AeroPress gives, why compromise that? Coffee is WAY to important to me to take any kind of short cut.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:03 PM   #5

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I agree with Jim (and I'll bet Karin mostly does too) but I know her point in posting was, just as she said, "for giving a viable off-grid option to those k-cup lovers".

I definitely have my opinion of these and all things like them...which I'm very proud of myself for keeping to myself
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:22 PM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have used the Cafejo since it came out. Works very well. You have to be a bit careful to remove the old K-cup before removing the plunger or it sucks the grounds up into the tube; otherwise, very easy to clean. Much easier to clean than a French Press; otherwise about the same concept. I don't use it all that often but when I don't have hookups it does a great job.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:59 AM   #7

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I agree with Jim (and I'll bet Karin mostly does too) but I know her point in posting was, just as she said, "for giving a viable off-grid option to those k-cup lovers".

I definitely have my opinion of these and all things like them...which I'm very proud of myself for keeping to myself
You have it pegged just right Zach I still use my Aero Press at home or for travel. Of course my favorite neighborhood coffee shop is even better yet, he is a master brewer to be sure.

But I do admit to taking advantage now and again of the free K-cup coffee at my optometrist's offices and a few other places such as waiting rooms at car service shops, etc. It is not as good of coffee as the Aero Press but it hands down beats the old vending coffee machines and overly stale pots of brewed coffee that were the previous standards in such places.

Just like with wine some folks truly care a lot and others don't worry so much about having less than perfection. That is not always a character flaw, sometimes it is either what we grew up on or a matter of sense of smell and taste not being as good as other people's. Our bodies differ and our taste differ and that is perfectly OK, keyword for this is "diversity".

My friend took some of the beautifully roasted beans from a well know Seattle roaster, coffee which he loves, to his cousins who live on a ranch in Idaho. They tried it and were very polite saying...."my that is strong coffee" and then served the Folgers for breakfast the next day.

I did not acquire the drinking of espresso shots until I went camping for a month in France where it is all you can get when you go into a Bar Tabac for your morning coffee and croissant. They don't serve lattes or drip coffee
Old 10-24-2017, 04:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Abel View Post
'Right now there seems to only be one of these non electric K cup systems available'

Here is another option https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...o+coffee+maker is what I use, and I think I bought it a couple of years ago.
It works very well and does k-cups and your own grind.

Thats the one I was talking about!
I love mine
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:39 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
coffee maker

I saw these 1 cup makers used at the Italian campgrounds we bought one but never got the hang of it. we continue to make our coffee the old fashioned way.

I like the taste of grounds!!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:15 AM   #10

Registry
I have an AeroPress in my home, and one in the trailer. Even when travel by plane or on the road without the trailer, I usually bring one with me, along with my manual grinder. I will bring a small kettle, but usually hope I can get hot water at my destination. This really is not much hassle at all, as it packs fairly compact.

If I want a coffee and all that is around is a K-cup machine, I am not going to turn it down. It is not terrible, there are just a whole bunch of methods of extraction I prefer, starting with fresh ground beans, using beans that are freshly roasted to. For those not in the know here, I do roast my own coffee. Heck, I just brought back a few kilos of green beans from Mexico last week to try, straight from the plantation.

It is very true about different folks attaining a different taste for good wine, even beer and liquor too. While I appreciate the taste of some of the more expensive varieties, and would rather pass on than drink some cheap stuff, I have found my own level of cost acceptance for alcohol. Like many things in life, I look for that point where I feel cost vs quality max out and buy there, as with most things after this point cost increased lots while quality only a little bit.

Some day I will have a nice espresso machine, as I do enjoy it, and also quite like an Americano or a rare cappuccino too. But for now, the AeroPress suits the bill quite nicely.

There really is no right answer to any of this. If you enjoy your coffee that is all that matters. No different than all the different trailers here, if you are getting out and enjoying the camping experience, all is good.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #11

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I agree, having the k cups in the office/shop waiting rooms is a huge improvement from the crap they used to serve. It's unfortunately just another step along the progression of divorced-from-the-source stuff. Meat comes in nice cellophane wrappers from the grocery store, coffee comes from little individual plastic containers

I love how no topic on coffee can be kept from taking on a life of its own!

Where I live, many, many people still love their Folgers. I can smell it in the office I'm working in. That stuff doesn't even smell good. I was nicely surprised when I stopped in to a local older rancher's house a couple weeks ago and he offered coffee, and it was k cup. I was expecting something more along the lines of the burnt-cardboard Folgers-style.

So all the waste of those little cups and our individually-packaged if-it's-not-completely-easy-and-requires-no-skill-or-patience-whatsoever-then-your-not-living-well culture aside, there are times when I'm thankful for those coffee machines. I guess
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:35 AM   #12

Missouri
coffee

I have been inside hospital kitchens big institutional kitchens they used to have those huge coffee pots some gas fired to make coffee right. Now everything is some sort of instant coffee syrup!

No one wants a mess now no one wants the little extra work to offer a quality product thus the advent of the coffee shop concept and we all fall for it. I was told sometime ago a hospital figures 10bux a tray for patient food!!

5 or 6bux is just a little expensive to me though I have yet to buy one!! I do like expresso in Europe a lot of bang for your buck.

bob
Old 10-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #13

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
If I have access to running water at the campground, I go old school. I have a stainless steel percolator!There is nothing like the taste of really strong percolator coffee. I like it better than espresso.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #14

Registry
One thing I must say now, is that the quality of truck stop and restaurant coffee has improved drastically over the last 10 years or so. Heck, while I can produce a better cup, even McD's coffee is quite palatable. A lot has to do with not leaving the pot on the warming plate for hours at a time. Also, many restaurants now fresh grind their coffee as opposed to the packs of grounds that can be who knows how old.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:49 AM   #15

Missouri
coffee

alex I am with you in the am I get out the old s/s perk and get busy.

oh that coffee smells so good while brewing!!

bob
Old 10-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I'm with Alex and Bob. We've gone full circle on this. My wife and I love coffee and grew up listening and smelling our parents and grandparents percolators. For some reason, when we were married and struck out on our own, we switched to the latest technology of the day. Remember Joe DiMaggio and Mr Coffee makers? We fell for that, like most people did for convenience I believe. We have gone thru countless drip coffee makers in the 47 years we've been married. Many were high end such as Bunn, and Bonavita etc. We have one now, but when it fails, as they all do; we will be using a stove top percolator exclusively.

I was looking for an alternative coffee maker when I stumbled across this Farberware Yosemite pot. I read hundreds of glowing reviews and thought why not? Sure it's slower, but the flavor, smell, and satisfying perk noise is worth it. All we need is coffee, water and a heat source. No worries about power outages, burned out elements, switches, timers, etc. You can make coffee on a campfire. We bought one and are not looking back. We love it. So it takes a half hour to brew a pot. We're retired, and that adds to the anticipation! Sometimes the old is new again. Stop by our trailer and have a cup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:19 PM   #17

Michigan
Great Little Pot

Photo of percolator
Attached Thumbnails
71DE+qVk-BL._SL1500_.jpg  
Old 10-24-2017, 02:34 PM   #18

Missouri
your pot

tom I sold institutional products in my sales life I always loved Bunn and we use that 100.00 model but now if it breaks down I have to throw it away due to a little part gone bad. They will not sell me the pot I still have my open account with them they say no parts sold due to insurance.

This makes me mad but they consider me just a homeowner on this! Running one of the s/s perks is an art to itself and for some reason we love it while camping.

of course we have no electricity! But the quality of the coffee made!!

outstanding

bob
Old 10-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #19

Oregon
I plan to experiment with cold brew coffee The reason for that being it does seem to reduce the amount of acid in the coffee versus other brewing methods.

Of course I still have yet to learn how to brew it for the perfect cuppa. I have started watching the DIY videos on youtube. Going to keep it simple for RV travel, unbreakable, lightweight, containers and easy to do clean up are a must.

There is also the appeal of only making it once a week and then just needing to heat it for it to be ready to drink. I am not a morning person
Old 10-24-2017, 03:04 PM   #20

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have an AeroPress in my home, and one in the trailer. Even when travel by plane or on the road without the trailer, I usually bring one with me, along with my manual grinder. I will bring a small kettle, but usually hope I can get hot water at my destination. This really is not much hassle at all, as it packs fairly compact.

If I want a coffee and all that is around is a K-cup machine, I am not going to turn it down. It is not terrible, there are just a whole bunch of methods of extraction I prefer, starting with fresh ground beans, using beans that are freshly roasted to. For those not in the know here, I do roast my own coffee. Heck, I just brought back a few kilos of green beans from Mexico last week to try, straight from the plantation.

It is very true about different folks attaining a different taste for good wine, even beer and liquor too. While I appreciate the taste of some of the more expensive varieties, and would rather pass on than drink some cheap stuff, I have found my own level of cost acceptance for alcohol. Like many things in life, I look for that point where I feel cost vs quality max out and buy there, as with most things after this point cost increased lots while quality only a little bit.

Some day I will have a nice espresso machine, as I do enjoy it, and also quite like an Americano or a rare cappuccino too. But for now, the AeroPress suits the bill quite nicely.

There really is no right answer to any of this. If you enjoy your coffee that is all that matters. No different than all the different trailers here, if you are getting out and enjoying the camping experience, all is good.
Jim, if I recall you recommended a certain style or model manual coffee grinder some time ago. Would you care to repeat that? I've had a couple of the electric grinders and was not impressed. I can tell you are serious about your coffee. Thanks in advance,

Tom