LARD - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-24-2009, 10:14 PM   #15

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I tought my wife to make biscuits with bacon drippings saved in a covered bowl in the fridge. So... I have to drink extra raspberry/cranberry juice to flush out the arteries etc... But OH THE BISCUITS!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Old 06-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #16

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
nobody mentioned fried chicken, we were brought up in New England and moved to SW Virginia in 1977, bought 25 acres and raised every animal that Noah had on the arc. We rendered the lard from the 2 pigs we raised per year (sold one). my wife is known for her pies wherever we have lived (even here in Florida) but, they never tasted as well as when we had the home rendered lard. The hardest part of rendering came with keeping the right temperature. As I remember it would burn real easy and get a brownish color to it. It had to be pure white to taste right. Did I mention Fried Chicken

Old 06-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Pork rinds floating on rendered oil....scooped up and dipped in dark soy, vinegar and chopped green chillies mmmmmm
Old 07-11-2009, 12:47 AM   #18

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
My mother had a little aluminum container with GREASE in raised letters on the front & a lid with a little knob on top. She carefully drained all of the bacon grease into it, to use when she cooked green beans, cornbread and lots of other good things. There was nothing better than the flavor that bacon grease added to food!
Sandra
Old 07-11-2009, 06:44 AM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
My mother had a little aluminum container with GREASE in raised letters on the front & a lid with a little knob on top. She carefully drained all of the bacon grease into it, to use when she cooked green beans, cornbread and lots of other good things. There was nothing better than the flavor that bacon grease added to food!
Sandra
My mom did the same thing In fact, when she sent me a bunch of family recipes that I had asked for she thought it was important enough to include a recipe card! I may be a bachelor, but I could have figured out the recipe for saving bacon grease!
Old 07-11-2009, 07:55 AM   #20

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	3pa3o83ldZZZZZZZZZ978b92fbe5308be1bc8.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	21564
--------------> NEVER use it.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #21

Name: Bobby
Trailer: Thor fifth wheel
New Mexico
If you ever traveled in Mexico you ate a lot of lard cooked food, still do away from the bigger cities. I was raised in north east Texas, lard was a staple in every house. If it wasn't lard it was bacon greese. The best food I ever ate was from those country kitchens. I don't reccomend any one using only lard but once in a while I'll use lard for fried chicken or biscuits etc. Gravy is always made with bacon greese.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ditto on Bacon.

We have one egg, one slice of bacon and a piece of toast virtually every morning.

Norm
Old 08-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #23

Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
I was raised here in Alabama and as a young kid we lived right next to my Grandparents and we raised everything and slaughtered it, gathered our own eggs and rendered lard after the butchering of our hogs. had a Jersey milk cow and all...The hog killing always happened right before Christmas...My Grandfather would salt the hams, shoulders and middlings(Pork Bellies ).We made our own sausage and I can still remember the big sage patch my Grandmother had and the smell of it...I also remember having to strip the fat from the intestines, it would hang in thin sheets off the intestines, other pieces of fat we cut into chunks but we never render it with the skin on..After the lard was render out the small bits that was left behind would be strained out and my Grandmother would make crackling cornbread with it and it was great..I was raised with 2 cousins, one my age the other a couple years older and it was our duty to find the hens nest and gather the eggs, we would take all the eggs and leave a egg gord in the nest this would trick the hen so she would not relocate the nest, and we gathered all eggs from ducks, geese, turkey and chicken and I've ate them all..A goose egg is a real plate full and very rich, the best I remember the yellow would really stand up on the white part..My mother and Grandmother cooked with lard all thier life and my mother still does to this day....She says shes too old to change now she's 78 years young now..OH those were the good old days....Never wore shoes hardly execpt in the winter not even to sckool until the 3 grade and I remember keeping both of my big toes stubb til the nails would nearly fall off..In the fall school was let out for cotton picking and I remember it paid 1 1/2 cents pulled (that was burr and all) and 3 cents picked per pound, in some fields they required it to be pulled but mostly they wanted it picked, had to drag a toesack..I wonder how many people know what a toesack is..
Old 08-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
I was raised here in Alabama and as a young kid we lived right next to my Grandparents and we raised everything and slaughtered it, gathered our own eggs and rendered lard after the butchering of our hogs. had a Jersey milk cow and all...The hog killing always happened right before Christmas...My Grandfather would salt the hams, shoulders and middlings(Pork Bellies ).We made our own sausage and I can still remember the big sage patch my Grandmother had and the smell of it...I also remember having to strip the fat from the intestines, it would hang in thin sheets off the intestines, other pieces of fat we cut into chunks but we never render it with the skin on..After the lard was render out the small bits that was left behind would be strained out and my Grandmother would make crackling cornbread with it and it was great..I was raised with 2 cousins, one my age the other a couple years older and it was our duty to find the hens nest and gather the eggs, we would take all the eggs and leave a egg gord in the nest this would trick the hen so she would not relocate the nest, and we gathered all eggs from ducks, geese, turkey and chicken and I've ate them all..A goose egg is a real plate full and very rich, the best I remember the yellow would really stand up on the white part..My mother and Grandmother cooked with lard all thier life and my mother still does to this day....She says shes too old to change now she's 78 years young now..OH those were the good old days....Never wore shoes hardly execpt in the winter not even to sckool until the 3 grade and I remember keeping both of my big toes stubb til the nails would nearly fall off..In the fall school was let out for cotton picking and I remember it paid 1 1/2 cents pulled (that was burr and all) and 3 cents picked per pound, in some fields they required it to be pulled but mostly they wanted it picked, had to drag a toesack..I wonder how many people know what a toesack is..
Absolutely great story. You've provided a point in time that provides perspective for us all. Thank you.

Norm
Old 08-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #25

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
Randy it sounds like we lived parallel lifes though mine was in north east Texas. You didn't mention it but I suspect you also made your own Lye soap. Our's was made in a big cast iron kettel over a fire out back. That same kettel was used for washing large loads of cloths, sheets, quilts etc, smaller loads and baths were in wash tubs. I had my own cotton sack and when we pulled the husk and all we called it pulling boles. Pulling (husk) was a lot faster than picking but paid a lot less and really tore up your fingers. My cousins and I would have guinny (sp) egg fights their eggs were about the size of a golf ball and just as hard. Ever reach under a hen to get eggs and find a bull snake under her sucking the eggs, you can tear down a fair sized hen house getting away. I got .25 cents for gathering eggs, feeding the chickens and picking pullets every other Sat. when we went to town to sell them. Also remember walking to buy kerosene(coal oil) for the cook stove. I remember more than I could ever put here. For a kid yep the good old days not so sure about the adults. Oh nearly forgot I have about a dozen toe sacks in my barn.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #26

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
GREAT stories!!! and i'll bite---what is a toe sack?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #27

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
GREAT stories!!! and i'll bite---what is a toe sack?
burlap bag, holds about a bushel. We still use them a lot in New Mexico. We buy pinto beans and green chili in them.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #28

New Mexico
I just noticed something the other day. You can still buy flour in printed fabric. Mabe I just hadn't paid attenion over the years. When I was a kid my mother and grand mother would shop for patterns alike, go to several stores trying to match them. Most of my shirts were made from Robin Hood flour sacks.