little knife sharpener - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2016, 08:52 AM   #1

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
little knife sharpener

Looking for a stocking stuffer gift? I wanted an easy to use knife sharpener that was really small (only 4 inches long!) to keep in the drawer at home or in the RV.
I just bought one of these little portable knife sharpeners for myself. Easy to use and easy to hold in place with safety stops on the finger grip area. Does a great job on non serrated blades. The 45 degree groove on the base sits across the edge of the countertop and positions the sharpener at a very comfortable, ergonomic angle for the task of drawing the knife blade through the slots. The base and finger grips are a soft non slip material so the sharpener stays still while you draw the knife through. It works equally well for left or right handed use. I purchased mine locally in Seattle at Fred Meyer's in the kitchen accessory section for less than $5.00. Great stocking stuffer pricing

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: KitchenIQ 50009 Edge Grip 2 Stage Knife Sharpener, Black

Edgeware Grip 2-Stage Knife Sharpener is lightweight, portable, and easy to use on either a flat surface of the edge of your countertop or table. Carbide blades and…
amazon.com
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:21 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Sorry, but you couldn't have picked anything worse to run a good knife blade through. Those things just take too much metal off with each pass.

I own many fine knives, probably well over $3,500 worth, and most of which are for culinary purposes, and I would never use one of those, or anything like it.
Not so much the ceramic "Vee", but the metal "Vee" will definitely ruin any blade you run through it. I wouldn't sharpen a garden machete or hoe with it.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:28 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Astoria Oregon
little kniff sharpener

Greg what do you recommend for sharpening your chef's knife's?
stevesiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #4

Name: Jeff
Trailer: in the market
New York
Knife Sharpener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Sorry, but you couldn't have picked anything worse to run a good knife blade through. Those things just take too much metal off with each pass.

I own many fine knives, probably well over $3,500 worth, and most of which are for culinary purposes, and I would never use one of those, or anything like it.
Not so much the ceramic "Vee", but the metal "Vee" will definitely ruin any blade you run through it. I wouldn't sharpen a garden machete or hoe with it.
so, being that you seem to be an expert on knife sharpening, do you have any suggestions for an "appropriate" method or device for sharpening knives?
RV Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I think the issue here is to have something small for stowing in a trailer. A sharp knife is a safer and better tool to use. For years I have used flat stones, finishing on a fine Japanese wet stone. Finishing with a fine stone is very important to attaining an edge that holds for a while, and maintaining it on a fine stone only makes the edge last longer. I do it free hand, but you have to ensure that you keep the angle the same all the time, and different knives with different uses require different angles.

A few years ago I tried one of these sets from Lee Valley, at first quite sceptical, but it actually does a great job. It takes very little skill to produce a great result, and is pretty much foolproof. Used properly it will also not produce too much wear on the knives.

Click on images for links.

The set is fairly light and small, but I would only take it in a trailer if on a very long trip, otherwise a small fine wet or oil stone will maintain for many weeks. I plan to get a pair of these to take along in the trailer.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #6

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I use this (Amazon)

Smith's DCS4 4-Inch FINE & COARSE Diamond Combo Sharpening Stones

and this

Smith's #3001 10-Inch Oval Diamond Sharpening Rod

Not great but ok and fast

I too am interested in what Casita Greg has to recommend.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #7

Washington
Registry
I have a collection of several various ceramic wet stones that I mainly use. They are about 3" wide and about 8" long. I also have both diamond and ceramic edge dressers. Similar to the honing "steels" that many use to dress the blade edge, but these are much better IMO. I also do not recommend any of those electric sharpeners either. Again, for the same reason, they take off too much metal. Sharpening stones will give you an edge. "Steels" and such will only straighten and realign the edge, but if the knife is dull, then you need to sharpen it on a good stone. Hones only remove the "curl" on the edge and realign the vee of the blade.
Here's a few pics of just some of my knives and sharpening stuff. These are just the ones I have hanging in my kitchen. I also have a large knife roll which I use for a "grab and go" when I go prep and cook at the church's weekend dinners for those less fortunate. My ceramic sharpeners are 1000 and 4000 grit which I use to restore the edges, and work especially well with stainless steel knives, such as on the 20 or so Globals that I use daily. I also have some fine Bob Kramer, (from Lacey, WA,) custom carbon steel knives that are super sharp. I only use stones with coarser grits if I need to take nicks out of blades, (usually for someone else as a favor when they mistreat their knives.)

GLOBAL | MASTER CUTLERY CORPORATIONGLOBAL
https://kramerknives.com/store
Attached Thumbnails
new 004.JPG   new 005.JPG  

new 006.JPG  
Old 12-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #8

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1978 Burro
Michigan
Basic knife sharpening

I'm not recommending these to anyone but I use them quite a bit to sharpen my knifes and also utility blades sometimes also.

Worked with a machinest at my last job and saw him using these.

https://www.amazon.com/EZE-LAP-PAK4-...=diamond+hones
DuaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:25 PM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I use a Lee Valley combination water stone. The 1000x side is great for knives. Leaves enough tooth to easily slice meat and thick rind vegetables. The 4000x side works well for chisels.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #10

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16 Liberty
Washington
Knife sharp?

A knife becomes sharp when both sides intersect. Make sure your angle on the stone is the same angle for both sides and you will have a sharp knife.
I use a flat stone with water and in maintaining my angle sharpen my knives quickly.
DanielAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:50 PM   #11

Washington
Registry
With the exception of single bevel Japanese Yanagibas sashimi slicing knives. They are either right hand or left hand, but only have one beveled side. The other is flat with the main body of the blade.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:51 PM   #12

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Other than a few of our "corn starch" plastic-looking knives, we have only two metal knives in Peanut: Paul's pocket knife when Paul is in Peanut, and a smallish, 1975 German round-tipped serrated knife with a wooden handle Paul made when the original riveted-on handle cracked and fell off. I bought it when we first moved to Berlin, Germany in January 1975 at a local dime store like Kreseges or the 99-cent store. It has been an amazing little knife.

It has never needed sharpened--or else I'm so oblivious I don't realize it.

If we can't cut "it" with one of those two knives, then we will have to gnaw it into pieces with our teeth--or give it to the girls.

Impressive knives and information from those who are more discerning than I! (Which seems to be everyone else here.)

BESt
Kai
Old 12-12-2016, 05:05 PM   #13

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16 Liberty
Washington
Knife sharp?

Casita Greg sorry I missed that knife. Never used that one in my 40 years of working in the meat industry. Am always learning!!
DanielAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:01 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
As a traveling woodcarver sharp knives are important. My knives and other sharp cutting tools very rarely see a stone of any kind and I would never put carving knives in a kitchen sharpening device. Most of the time a few strokes on a leather strop will restore a dull blade. I use a was based material called "yellow stick" on the strop. The blades are highly polished a sharp and just a bit of strop use.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:28 PM   #15

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post

The ceramic V is what I typically use. But the knives I take camping are not the ones I keep in my knife block at home.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:30 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I think the issue here is to have something small for stowing in a trailer. A sharp knife is a safer and better tool to use. For years I have used flat stones, finishing on a fine Japanese wet stone. Finishing with a fine stone is very important to attaining an edge that holds for a while, and maintaining it on a fine stone only makes the edge last longer. I do it free hand, but you have to ensure that you keep the angle the same all the time, and different knives with different uses require different angles.

A few years ago I tried one of these sets from Lee Valley, at first quite sceptical, but it actually does a great job. It takes very little skill to produce a great result, and is pretty much foolproof. Used properly it will also not produce too much wear on the knives.

Click on images for links.

The set is fairly light and small, but I would only take it in a trailer if on a very long trip, otherwise a small fine wet or oil stone will maintain for many weeks. I plan to get a pair of these to take along in the trailer.

A "foolproof" sharpening set sounds just right for me, because I'm confident in my ability to muck up a blade edge. Maintaining the right angle is what gets me. My question is, if using such a kit as the Lee Valley, how would I tell what angle is the proper sharpening angle for a given knife? Can I tell by looking at the knife edge? Or would I have to know the knife's specs from the mfr, or what?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #17

Oregon
I travel with a "paper wheel" strop for touching up my wood carving knives. It works great as I run in with my variable speed, makita drill motor so it never gets too hot. I am using micro sized carving gouges so heat build up can happen very quickly with those tiny tools. I was taught how to make the paper wheels by a wood carving teacher.

It will work for knives as well but is more hassle to get out than reaching in a drawer for a little knife sharpener for a quick touch up.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
A "foolproof" sharpening set sounds just right for me, because I'm confident in my ability to muck up a blade edge. Maintaining the right angle is what gets me. My question is, if using such a kit as the Lee Valley, how would I tell what angle is the proper sharpening angle for a given knife? Can I tell by looking at the knife edge? Or would I have to know the knife's specs from the mfr, or what?
They give a guideline for various uses. You can kinda tell by looking though. It really does work great and produces a lasting edge.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:38 AM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
I had a little fella like this in my desk for my pocket knife, worked fine to keep the blade sharp. When I used the knife to cut rocks or some such I'd have to wait till I got home though. Never tried it on kitchen knives, but if you're like me and don't take along the good knives in the trailer, then one of the small V styles should be okay for keeping them sharp enough for the non discerning, if used often and they start off that way.

From my experience, it's what I cut on and how I store them that tends to dull the knives the most. Use a cutting board of some sort instead of a plate, and store them in blade guards or some such.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:17 AM   #20

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
From being a woodworker/turner most my adult life, I Came to the conclusion that tool sharpening is an art. Any body else can get bye with any method used. After all my mom used a burnisher to freshen up her kitchen knives all the time, but when they needed to have a new edge on them because someone cut something they shouldn't have, then they are taken to the knife guy as to what she called him. I have many grinders and stones and diamond abrasives to put a cutting edge on a woodworking tools. Some profiles are special to the task at hand and I never will know how to do it perfect,yet, but I have some life left yet, maybe someday. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote