Loose tea leaves - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2012, 06:19 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Loose tea leaves

Do we have others that prefer loose tea to bags? What is your method for making it while camping?

I recently found a wonderful gadget for brewing my tea that lets no leaves escape. It is a little cup/pot like thing that you pour the water into with the leaves, brew and then set on top of your cup you plan to drink from. Once you set it on your cup, the tea comes out the bottom, a lot like a drip coffee maker but much faster. No leaves, just beautifully strained tea.

I have always struggled to find the perfect strainer.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #2

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Terry,
We use loose tea at home and just use a small regular strainer over the cup. On the road we use teabags because it's easier. We have a stainless steel teapot in the trailer so no worries about it getting broken.
Can you share a photo or the brand of strainer you have? Where did you find it? Also, did you find a brand of tea you like? We find it a bit difficult to get "good" tea in the US. (No offence to Americans, it's just that they're not into hot tea as much as their neighbours to the north )
Phil
Old 06-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Yes to loose leaf tea, noticeably better tasting than tea bags. I prefer white tea for a hot cup, but black tea if it will be iced.

I have several infusers. I have also tried (and it works) a French Press coffeemaker with loose leaf tea instead of coffee; you still get some fines in the cup, but they settle to the bottom so they're no big deal.

As for source, we are fortunate to have a specialty tea shop here in Tulsa. But even so, I usually order my tea from Darlene's Tea Port of Wichita KS... the shop sells their teas on eBay, too.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #4

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Tea balls work great. And... they are dirt cheap.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #5

This is the little brewer. I have used all kinds of infusers and I have always gotten some leaves in the bottom of the cup. This gaget strains tea better that any thing I have ever tried. It is nice to see exactly what is going on when brewing.

I will be ordering one for the camper.

I think oolong is one of my favorite tea. Darjeeling brings up a close second. http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...r=yfp-t-701-14
Old 06-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I have that tea brewer also, Terry, and it works great. But I tend to just bring tea bags when camping, for simplicity.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:11 AM   #7

Name: Gail & Tom O
Trailer: Eggcamper 2010
Maryland
I love the Serengeti Tea Company's tea. It isn't a teabag but a disposable infuser called a ticolino. Check it out Serengeti or for Canada Serengeti. Now they are putting coffee in the ticolino and it is pretty good.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Nothing fancy. A hand full of King Cole tea from Sussex, NB in a pot of cold water set at the back of the fire until it is as black as a black cat at midnight night of the new moon. Jump starts your heart on those cold predawn hours in the winter at hunting camp.
A little strong for the locals but as originally a Nothern New Englander it works for me.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerseyBA View Post
Nothing fancy. A hand full of King Cole tea from Sussex, NB in a pot of cold water set at the back of the fire until it is as black as a black cat at midnight night of the new moon. Jump starts your heart on those cold predawn hours in the winter at hunting camp.
A little strong for the locals but as originally a Nothern New Englander it works for me.
When I used to backpack many many moons ago it was strong tea that I went with for the morning brew. Don't like instant coffee and the coffee pot and makings were too much to haul.

Must have worked, I woke up enough that I never broke camp and left the pack or the tent behind.

Now I generally just do sun tea for iced, still like it strong. Takes me back to some fond memories as does your post.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #10

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
yes i love exploring different tea,, i find the best at asian grociery stores and shops. loose only
bag tea isn't tea,,,its teadust, appairently swept from the floor where they package real tea.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
yes i love exploring different tea,, i find the best at asian grociery stores and shops. loose only
bag tea isn't tea,,,its teadust, appairently swept from the floor where they package real tea.
So that's why teabag tea has such an earthy flavor!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #12

Yes, John, I have noticed the very same thing with a lot of teas. I rarely get my tea from the grocery stores. Another reason is, they rarely have loose leaf tea. The oriental store has the best Bancha tea leaves. It is so mild.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #13

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
This reminds me of a story I heard when I was working with an oil exploration crew in the early 70's. One of the guys on the crew had been on an exploration ship near Ceylon. He went to the island and visited a tea plantation where they showed him the sorting shed. "Here's the finest leaves... we send those to India. The second grade leaves...we send them to England. The leftovers? They go to Liptons!"
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 1985 13 ft Burro
For the finest, try THE UPTON TEA CO,Jeffery ave,Suite 100.Holliston MA 01746.Excellent.56 page catalog of the finest teas, etc, in the world. Or,www.uptontea.com.Nice people to do business with. please let me know what you think. There catalog addresses water temperature,steep time,and some of the different tea regions of the world.also a brief bit of information on each tea.Enjoy.
Al POGUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #15

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Dittos Alwin
They also have reasonably priced sample packets to try something different
Have ordered from them for over 15 years and always pleased

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #16

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
I'll third the recommendation for Upton Tea. Lovely stuff. I actually use Japanese tea bags for loose tea because it makes clean up so much easier. Amazon.com : In Pursuit of Tea Empty Tea Bags 60ea : Tea Strainers : Grocery & Gourmet Food But having said that, these prices are ridiculously high. Go to an Asian grocery store. I usually bring mine back from Japan where I get them for a $1 a package.
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #17

Name: Greg(lee) and katie
Trailer: Parkliner
Virginia
I agree that loose is better than bagged tea.
I order from Harney & Sons from CT.
www.harney.com
Sorry I do not know how to insert a link.

Lee
wandererlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #18

Name: Greg(lee) and katie
Trailer: Parkliner
Virginia
Oh!! It worked.

Lee
wandererlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #19

Name: steve
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Registry
not a caffeine drinker here so it's loose peppermint/spearmint leaves in a tea ball. good for a strong first cup and a mild 2nd. even cold water poured over the spent leaves will give a nice flavored beverage. flavored water? waaaayyyy better than the crap you buy $$$$$ in a plastic bottle!

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #20

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... We buy gift baskets from http://www.murchies.com They sell loose and bags. I really hate it when my tea gets loose!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote