menu planning for boondocking?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2018, 03:12 PM   #21

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
When I first bought my trailer and was camping for 3-4 day at a time, I bought 'camping' food. Foodstuffs I don't normally eat. Everything from chips to hotdogs. Then I started camping for longer days. After 8-9 days, I was feeling awful. Now I menu plan and buy food exactly as I would eat at home.

Whether boondocking or full-hookups, you have the ability to eat well. Coolers or icebox or refrigerator to keep food cold. Propane stove or fire to cook food thoroughly. Proper cookware and utensils.

Convenience foods are often full of sodium, dyes, fats and chemicals. Read the labels. Menu planning takes some effort, but it also assure you that you're not overbuying food that may go to waste.

This next trip for me will be for 51 nights. My travel buddy and I have already decided we're going 'clean' eat. Lots of fruits and vegetables. Sure we'll go off-the-rails occasionally. But when we do, we'll enjoy it.

P.S. 51 nights!

Write when you find work
Old 07-29-2018, 03:48 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
for our last 2 week trip, my wife made a series of really good pasta casseroles in the weeks before the trip, we'd eat 1/3rd of them for dinner that night, and froze the other 2/3rds as 2 dinner-for-2 portions, these went into the freezer on our Escape... put one in the fridge the day before to defrost, then into a foil lined stainless baking dish in the oven (yes, our escape has an oven) and they came out just like at home, very tasty.

one was baked ziti with pancetta and lemon (and mozzarella and Parmesan), another was penne with red sauce and spicy italian sausage, other was a meatball casserole with bucatini (thick hollow spaghetti). for the potluck at the Oregon Coast FRV Gathering we baked up both portions of the penne/sausage thing, and got lotsa yums from our fellow fiberglass RVers...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:34 PM   #23

Trailer: In the market
KY
Cowboy CookingW

We in the Bluegrass State are fortunate enough to have The Tim Farmer Show on our KET Channel. Tim and his wife almost every show prepares meals the Cowboy Cooking Way. That means.... using lots and lots of cast iron cooking ware over charcoals, preparing dishes for camping trips, and as well preparing meals the OLD FASHION Grandparents Way. He does have a web site where most of the shows can be viewed.
Liteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:32 AM   #24

Name: Rob
Trailer: Burro
New Mexico
Registry
More

Hi
We’ve been Boondocking for many years and have modified the trailer to extend the time before resupply to three weeks. We found the fridge size and water capacity to be the limiting factors. Adding more solar (210 watts) batteries (4 golf kart) water 37 gal. and a larger fridge 5.8 cu. ft. (12 volt only) over the years. Also a reinforce frame with larger axle and more ground clearance.

Since the bed in our burro is permanent we added 26 gallons of fresh water underneath, with a storage area in front.

I enlarged the opening for the fridge to accommodate a 5.8 ft.ł 12 V refrigerator. It sits on the floor and has a quarter inch space below the original cooked top.

Happy camping
Burro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:40 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burro1 View Post
Hi
We’ve been Boondocking for many years and have modified the trailer to extend the time before resupply to three weeks. We found the fridge size and water capacity to be the limiting factors. Adding more solar (210 watts) batteries (4 golf kart) water 37 gal. and a larger fridge 5.8 cu. ft. (12 volt only) over the years. Also a reinforce frame with larger axle and more ground clearance. ...
whaty did you do about grey water capacity? that was the limiting factor with our Casita 16, the 13 gallon grey tank, a couple navy showers, and blam, its full.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #26

Name: Rob
Trailer: Burro
New Mexico
Registry
No Shower, No gray water tank

We have a sturdier version of the 5 ga. solar shower we hang on an extension of the awning frame. There is also a pop up 3' sq. privacy tent that we rarely use as there is often no humans for miles. To extend our potable water when available we get the wash water from a stream and we don't shower every day. Some would say it is healthier not to.

The kitchen sink is the only gray water. It outlets through the wall behind the sink through a hose fitting. If we are in a place where it is not appropriate to let it spill on the ground (which is good for the soil in moderation) we connect a short hose to a 5 gal. plastic gas can.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7622s.jpg   FridgeS.jpg  

Burro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:04 PM   #27

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
We take plenty of veggies, but unless they are for salad or snacks, we carry freeze dried. I watch for sales from online stores. They taste great, way better than canned, more nutritious, less water used, fast cooking. The recipe possibilities are endless.

I also can and take jars of meat with me. If you are not a canner, you might consider some of the canned meats, such as Keystone,
(Walmart), or Grabils. They might smell strange when you first open the can, but taste and smell quite good when cooked. The liquid in the cans is just the juices from the meat, and makes a yummy gravy or flavor addition to soup, with no additional liquid necessary for a lot of dishes.

You can make soups, stews and casseroles easily with those items. Think, bbq chicken, pork or beef sandwiches, meat and gravy over mashed, hashed brown potatoes, noodles, or even biscuits. Use as a main course with veggie sides, and friut for dessert.

The beauty of freeze dried, is portion sizes can be determined so there are no leftovers, no throw aways, no long prep times, no refrigeration.

Not talking MREs, actually, nothing but the unadulterated, no additives, vegetable or fruit.

The fruits can be eaten just as they come out of then container, or rehydrated for recipes. Can be put in oatmeal or cold cereal.

Things like the mushrooms, peppers, onions, and tomato powders, are great to throw into your morning omelette, or casseroles. The tomato powder saves a ton of space and can be easily turned into sauce for pasta or pizza.

Another advantage is, they are extremely light weight.

I also dehydrate some items, but I find freeze dried has more advantages when trying to conserve water.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:13 PM   #28

Name: Betty
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13
TX
Camp food

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When we go camping I am the cook so I get to decide so we have a full breakfast
Bacon or sausage or steak with eggs , toast , juice and potatoes or pancakes
A snack during the day crackers , sausage , cheese , wine
For supper we cook on the grill , Hamburgers ,brats , pork chops , ribs , chicken plus a couple of side dishes or salad
We freeze a lot of our food ahead of time then place it in our Yeti cooler with dry ice
The food is still frozen solid after 5 days
We do keep some dried food in the trailer but only for emergencies
When I was younger I survived on pork and beans with hot dogs when we camped but at almost 70 years of age those days are over .

LOL at the last part. Thanks for the laugh!
bojetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:56 PM   #29

Name: John & Gloria
Trailer: Bigfoot 21RB
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Fred 762... Put wieners in a Thermos and fill with boiling water. Cap it and place the thermos in the sink and when it's time to eat just add buns, condiments, and your fav chips for a quick meal.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf, I have tried a lot of the things folks have mentioned here but your idea seemed to be as easy as it could get. I did just like you said, but I had a little trouble stuffing the buns in there. The condiments and chips went in OK. While it did take a little ingenuity to get it all back out when it was time to eat, it was tasty. Not sure though if it's gonna catch on with the "Four Star" crowd. I hope Fred enjoyed it also.
Travelin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #30

Name: Alex
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Registry
Our system centers around using the dutch oven. Guided by
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The book needs a revision to fix the index, and the table of coals to temp has top and bottom flipped. But it has simple recipes.

Get some water jugs to bring extra water. Get a charcoal chimney. At the start of the trip, put frozen meat in the fridge/freezer with lots of root vegetables. Maybe have the first meat serving thawed before you leave. Get a dishpan that fits in your sink.

I love a bacon and eggs breakfast, but when camping it's just too messy to start the day. Breakfast never requires more than boiling water (for coffee and oatmeal). If we're in camp for the day, bacon and eggs is a great lunch.

Dinner is usually cooked in the Dutch Oven over/under charcoal. We usually line it with aluminum foil to make easy cleanup, and to get the food out easily (unless its a soup/stew). We also like to do "hobo stew". Wrap meat and root vegetables in individually sized foil packets and cook directly on the campfire. We often cook lunch for the next day after dinner. The book has several sweet and savory baked dishes that we wrap up for the next day, if we're going to be out and about.

I don't usually have the water heater on. So for dishes I just heat up water in the teakettle. All the dishes go in the dishpan with a little soap and get washed outside. The dirty water goes on the ground. I use one of my water jugs to rinse outside too. Now I've done the dishes without adding to the grey tank.

Depending on water availability, we do or don't use paper plates/bowls.

This allows us to use less processed food and fresher ingredients. Of course, if you like running your generator you can microwave TV dinners and that is way simpler, and uses no water.
SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #31

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I have heard of people creating menus and shopping list for cooking at home but I have never done that even once.

I just head to the store and see what is on sale that looks fresh and appealing to me. Fortunately I don't have to worry about pleasing picky eaters anymore.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We cook and eat the same in the boondocks as we do at a campsite other than maybe plan for more meals at hand if we will be a ways from a food store. We do all kinda things for different meals, and very much love changing things up. When in the trailer we do eat good. There is not much you can't eat camping, even if in the boonies.

Even though we have a nice kitchen inside we usually cook outside if the weather is anything but real nasty. My wife does do some cooking inside if she wants to use the oven to bake something, and sometimes for some other meals when cold. When I do the cooking it has to be raining, windy and cold before I get chased inside, as I just love the outdoors. I did install outside taps on the passenger side for doing dishes.

We do have a decent sized water tank but still usually bring one or two 5 gallon buckets along as well. Our black tank can last well over a week if needed. The grey tank will not, but we disperse that as needed where allowed.

We have lots of solar to keep things charged, as I have never used a generator with a trailer and really don't want to. They are just too noisy for me. I do understand those in the deep south summer camping and needing it for A/C though, I just plan to avoid camping in too hot of weather. I would rather it be on the cold side that the hot side if I get a vote.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking