Microwave or Convection oven? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #1

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
I am looking for opinions on what is the better choice as a supplement to a 2-burner propane stovetop in a 13-foot egg, a microwave oven or a convection toaster oven.

Whichever I get, I likely would not permanently install either. It will ride on the floor while we are in transit and sit on a plank over the sink when we’re cooking.

The question is, what have you great cooks decided are the pluses and minuses of each? (I already know cooking a good steak in a microwave is a near criminal act, and you don’t boil a cup of water in a toaster oven.)

So, if you had to choose between them, which one is the chefs choice?
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Maybe a dutch oven.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:47 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I have a friend that fulltimes in a 30' aluminum trailer. He has a gas range with an oven that he does not use, and he got rid of his microwave in favor of a Convection Oven. He says that he would be happiest with just the gas cooktop and the convection oven.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:54 AM   #4
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
How 'bout a combination convection/mickeywave? I had one of those at my old house... I will have to admit it was probably too big for my Casita, but I probably bought it 20 years ago (and it's still in service, now at my sister's house!)

Here's one that's smaller than mine was (is):

Click image for larger version

Name:	amana.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	9299

External dimensions: 23 in. deep x 13-7/8 in. high x 23-3/4 in. max width.
(Ship weight = approx. 53 lbs.)

I found it just by googling for combination convection microwave
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
a microwave oven [b]or a convection toaster oven.
That decision is for you to make based on how you would like to "cook" while camping. Are you a heat-n-eat or "cook" person? I'd be lost without my microwave and can get it to do just about anything I need/want (including browning), but others wouldn't want to spend the time to learn or the effort needed.

I'm with Mary... I [b]had a combo micro/convection and loved it! Gave it up tho because it took up too much counter space in my new house... went with an over-the-stove micro instead... but, sigh miss the convection part...

Have you considered a microwave and then get a small toaster oven...the kind for toasting bread/sandwiches?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: In the market
Indiana
I think cooking while on the road is tough because it can be a challenge. I know that a convection oven was a necessary appliance for us. However, we had to get rid of the microwave in order to have it. Frankly, we have noticed much of a difference not having it. I was surprised, but it's been a great change!
ontheraodagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:47 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Walmarts has one for $199 20x20x13 microwave convection oven, the smallest I've seen so far.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I just bought a convection/oven for my camper and it is H-O-T on the outside enough to burn a person when baking a pizza if touching the outside.(the only thing I have tried so far is pizza)so I will definately not put it in the microwave spot in the camper. I think they might be kinda dangerous around small kids or just close to anything. I will be using mine in my storage shed at the river and not in the camper.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: In the market
Indiana
I agree that this can be the case with the ovens. I think in our homes we don't notice the heat or actual functionality of our appliances because they are surrounded by cabinets usually. However, everything is noticeable in the RV. I have kids, and I am always so nervous when we are cooking something.
ontheraodagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I bought a nu wave oven today. Hoping it will not be HOT like the other convection oven I bought. I am thinking of returning the Menards convection ovenI bought a couple weeks ago because of the danger of being burned.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #11

Trailer: (fiberglass)
i have a combo micro/conv.. by GE works good. my camper is alittle larger now but i did use it in the ct 13
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave