Mock Short Ribs with Pasta - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2007, 08:24 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe 2006
Send a message via AIM to Patt Weaver
Mock Short Ribs with Pasta

Name:   short_ribs.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  21.8 KB

I was watching the Food Network the other day and saw this recipe being done but it was called Short Ribs With Tagliatelle. I was so hungry afterwards that I decided to try it and not having the short ribs on hand or the Tagliatelle pasta shape I improvised and it was excellent. I used a small beef roast cut into "short rib" sized pieces, having no bones made it easier too. And I used fettucini pasta.

3 tbsp olive oil
2 oz. chopped pancetta or thick sliced bacon (I had bacon)
2 ½ pounds short ribs or beef cut to size
salt
black pepper
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 med. onion chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
½ cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14 oz) can tomatoes, whole or diced (Delmonte tomatoes with basi, garlic and oregano worked great)
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
½ tsp dried oregano
1 bay leaf
2 ½ cups beef broth
3/4 cup red wine (or 1 can chicken broth)
1 pound fresh or dried pasta
4 to 6 tsps shaved bittersweet chocolate

Place olive oil in a heavy soup pot over med. heat. Cook the bacon until brown and crisp. Meanwhile, season the beef with salt and peper and dredge in flour. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon from the pan and set aside. Add the beef pieces to the pan and brown on all sides, about 7 minutes total.

While beef is browning, combine the finely chopped onion, carrot, garlic. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Mix well by hand or in a blender, if available.

Once the beef is browned, carefully add the tomato mixture to the pot. Return the bacon to the pot and stir. Add herbs, broth and wine. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer , covered for 1 hr and 15 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer another 1 hr and 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the meat and bones (if using short ribs) from the pot. Discard the bones and using two forks, shred the meat and return it to the pot.

Prepare the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the pasta to the pot of shredded beef in sauce and stir to combine. Add the reserve pasta water, ¼ cup at a time, if needed, to moisten the pasta.

Transfer to serving bowls, top each bowl with 1 tsp of shaved chocolate. Serve immediately. O, I put 5 or 6 chocolate bits on top instead. Interesting flavor.

When we camp, a lot of days are spent right around the campsite and this dish could be prepared on one of those days. It smells up the whole place and goes surprisingly fast. I was really happy with the finished dish, since I had to substitute a few things. My husband loved the dish and has asked for a repeat. A lot of it could be prepared ahead of time, processed and put into baggies. I would definitely prepare this for a company dinner, with a salad and hot rolls and a good red wine, perfect! as Giada would say.
Patt Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I haven't had breakfast and I'm salivating.

Thanks for sharing Patt
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote