My favorite camping meal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2002, 04:49 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My favorite camping meal

Okay, there's already a thread for everyone to lay claim to their favorite camping meals. And, so far we got two entries: Chili and Grilled Bratwurst.

Well, since my favorite camping meal is Breakfast, I thought I'd start this new thread, asking for suggestions.

I already know I love pancakes, breakfast tacos, or a steaming bowl of oatmeal (especially on a chilly morning). But I'm looking for other ideas.

Does anybody have the recipe for Shipwreck?

Thanks for your help, folks! :sunny

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 05:19 PM   #2

How do you cook?

Mary,

Do you have a Dutch Oven? If so, I will post a wonderful one-pot meal known as "Mountain Man Breakfast". I can tell you that it is very hearty and suitable for a Mountain Girl as well!

Old 10-06-2002, 05:27 PM   #3

Post! Post!

Kim, I don't personally at this time have a dutch oven (not a cast iron one, at any rate), but I have access to a dutch oven, and if I ever found a reason to buy one, I would!

(We do currently own a cast iron pot, but it has no lid. Precludes the dutch oven cooking I remember so well from Girl Scouting. Alas!)

So, please, POST!

(Thanks!)

Old 10-06-2002, 05:58 PM   #4

Camp breakfast

Hi Mary,

Actually I have found that a 10" Cast Iron, kitchen-style (means no legs, glass top) dutch oven is an essential utensil for camp cooking, including in the trailer. I bought a cast iron camp lid as an alternative to the glass top, available separately from Lodge.

When cooking outside, with charcoal, I use a little triangle lid stand to set the DO on to take the place of the legs. And, since it doesn't have legs it works well on the trailer stove or an outside camp stove. I love the way cast iron is for spreading and holding the heat.

When Michael and I are traveling and want to have a quick breakfast, I fix breakfast burritos. I scramble eggs or egg beaters. I often add diced tomatoes, bacon, chilies, or whatever strikes our fancy at the moment. I heat a 8-10inch flour tortilla on the stove (that 10 inch cast iron camp lid, upside down, works very well. I figure everything has to be able to do at least double duty, right?) Then, I add the eggs and some grated cheese, and voila', wrapped in a sandwich paper or paper towel, we're good to go.

When in camp and I have the time, one of the breakfast dishes I do is a:

Chili Relleno Casserole

3 cups grated mozzarella or jack cheese
1 small can diced green chilis
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
6 eggs
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 Tbl flour
1 1/2 cup milk
1 can tomato sauce

Mix grated cheese with green chilis in Dutch oven. Beat together eggs, milk, baking powder, flour and salt. Pour over cheese and chilis. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Use 5-6 coals on bottom, full ring on top. Check after 15 minutes and adjust coals as necessary. It is done when center is no longer liquid. Remove coals. Cover with tomato sauce, replace lid, and let sit for a few minutes. Feeds 4-5.

Old 10-06-2002, 09:12 PM   #5

Mmmm

Chile Relleno for breakfast! That does sound good, and not even difficult (definite plus!) Thanks Lori. :sunny

So, you haul a glass lid around in the trailer? Or you leave it at home and just take the cast iron lid when you travel?

The 10 inch lid, inverted on the two burner stove - doesn't take up all the space? (I've always just done my tortillas in my skillet, but it does make it difficult to get everything done at the same time... although, one thing we do carry is a tortilla warmer.)

Thanks again!

Anybody else?

Old 10-06-2002, 09:39 PM   #6

Lid for DO

Mary,

I don't take the glass lid with me camping. Actually, I use it at home with one of my skillets. I have a 10 inch non-stick skillet in the Casita and I use the DO lid for that too.

Old 10-06-2002, 10:00 PM   #7

Rats!

Quote:
I don't take the glass lid with me camping.
I'm disappointed. I was hoping you had some ingenious method for transporting the darn things without breaking....

Thanks again.

Old 10-07-2002, 08:00 AM   #8

Mountain Man Breakfast

Here's the recipe, Mary. This is a common DO dish & there are probably many variations.

1# ground sausage
1# frozen hash browns
4 eggs, beaten with 1/4 cup water
1 C. grated cheese
1/2 C onion (opt.)
1/2 C bell pepper (opt.)

Crumble and fry sausage, pepper and onion over 21 coals. Remove and drain. Brown potatos in oil. Add sausage over potatos. Pour eggs over the top. Sprinkle with cheese. Cook about 20 minutes until eggs set.

Yield: 4 servings.

We use a 10 inch DO and cook with 14 coals on the top and 7 on the bottom. (Don't know why you couldn't cook it on a stove in a skillet - provided you have a cover for the skillet).

Yummy:lol and hearty, too!

Old 10-07-2002, 08:09 AM   #9

Sore tummy Breakfast

:wave Kim,

A friend of mine makes a variation using beacon and calls it “Sore Tummy Breakfast”. It is so good you eat too much and get a sore tummy.

Thanks, I had forgotten about that one.

Old 10-07-2002, 08:39 AM   #10

Pam and I

Pam and I are going on a three day camp-out this weekend to celebrate Columbus Day (why aren't you?).

Anyway, I'm printing off these breakfast recipes in hopes that one of them will be our first official Dutch Oven breakfast.

I bought them along time ago because Webmaster Michael said I needed them ... but have never used them, other than seasoning them properly.

But, I gotta tell you, these recipes are making me want to eat a real man's breakfast!

Pam usually makes me eat Fiber One Cereal for breakfast!

But since we're celebrating Columbus Day ... maybe I can talk her into letting me live a little bit!

Old 10-07-2002, 08:57 AM   #11

Fiber One?

Doesn't count. No thanks. :wak

But I do thank Kim for the Mountain Man Breakfast recipe! Is that really right? A whole pound of sausage to four eggs? (Wow! That's a lotta sausage! You weren't kiddin' when you said HEARTY!) :wink

Still looking for that Shipwreck recipe...

Old 10-07-2002, 09:38 AM   #12

If you have a cholesterol deficiency...

10 Eggland's Best eggs, beaten (they're really worth the price)
½ C flour
1 lb cottage cheese
½ lb cheddar cheese shredded
½ lb Monterey Jack cheese shredded
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ stick butter
8 oz can diced green chiles (Augie should use habañeros)

Bake in buttered baking dish at 350º F (177º C) for 35 minutes. After cooling, cut into serving size pieces. Wrap individual pieces in foil and freeze.

Heat in the foil in a covered skillet over low heat and serve with flour tortillas for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Old 10-07-2002, 09:48 AM   #13

Freezer!

Thanks, Morgan. I like that you can make it ahead an freeze 'em.

I also like your special directions for Augie. :sunny

Old 10-07-2002, 09:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Orginally posted by Mary F

Thanks, Morgan. I like that you can make it ahead an freeze 'em.

I also like your special directions for Augie. :sunny
Mary F,

Lee always keeps some of this in the freezer. It's quick and easy to fix.

It doesn't have a name. I call it "huevos ala Monte," literally "eggs on the mountain."

I was just tweaking Augie's leg ;)

Old 10-07-2002, 11:31 AM   #15

Let's see

Let's see, if I double up on my statin drug this weekend, I wonder if I could eat one portion of each of these recipes, to help celebrate Columbus Day AND Thankgiving Day (so I don't offend any of my Canadian friends) ... hmmmm.

Old 10-07-2002, 11:35 AM   #16

Oh, No!

You shouldn't double up on your medication. That could be dangerous...

Better to just plan more camping excursions, to try out all the new recipes. (Like you need more excuses!)

Old 11-06-2002, 08:44 AM   #17

Breakfast

I love all these breaky recipes and i will make them all at home .I cannot add anything that comes close . Did I mention Oysters and bacon??:jester :chased .Ok Ok I'm leaving !