New dutch oven! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2008, 09:47 AM   #1

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
So excited! Got a dutch oven! A 12" Camp Chef on clearance for $21 at a store in Port Townsend. Not a Lodge but can't imagine it matters that much for the price difference. Can't wait to get started! So glad there are lots of recipes on the forum--and I ordered a couple books off Amazon. If anyone has a favorite that isn't posted I'd sure like to see it! Especially since I've had such good luck with chili recipes in the past! :0)
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
So excited! Got a dutch oven! A 12" Camp Chef on clearance for $21 at a store in Port Townsend. Not a Lodge but can't imagine it matters that much for the price difference. Can't wait to get started! So glad there are lots of recipes on the forum--and I ordered a couple books off Amazon. If anyone has a favorite that isn't posted I'd sure like to see it! Especially since I've had such good luck with chili recipes in the past! :0)
A long time ago, a friend shared a recipe with me for peach cobbler that was fire friendly. 2 big cans of peaches and 2 boxes of washington white cake mix. (The small boxes). Dump in your cans of peaches and then the two boxes of cake mix. Cover with your lid and put it in your fire, covering the top with coals. (Probably the 325 degree follow thru...which for yours would be, what the 2/3rds on the bottom 1/3 on top??) Leave it in the fire for appx 1 hour. Serve with ice cream. No peeking, however! I have made one perfect one, then burnt one to smithereens, fell asleep before it was done. The whole mess turned into the biggest looking coal like thing that I ever saw!! It did clean up well, though...the pot had been well seasoned. You might have to play with the quantity of ingredients. I think the dutch oven was a bit smaller.

Pam
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:53 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Byron's Famous Breakfast.

I make this in an 8", for 12" you have to double the amounts where amounts are listed.

1 lb of Italian ground sausage,
6 eggs. (lightly beaten as you would for an omelet) (Egg beaters can also be used)
1 cup grated cheese,
2 packages of sausage gravy mix.
1 small package of refrigerator biscuits.

Heat the DO with several coal underneath and lightly brown the sausage.
Mix the gravy with half the required water and pour over the sausage.
Spread the cheese on next.
Gently add the eggs on top of the cheese.
Float the biscuits on top of it all.
Reduce to coals under to 4. Cover and add 8 - 10 coals on top.

When the eggs are cooked remove and serve.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Here is a cake that I adapted from Anne Byrn's "The Cake Mix Doctor".

Earthquake Cake

1 cup coconut
1 cup pecans
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1 box devil's food cake mix (18.25 oz.) prepared by directions on box
[ 3 eggs, 1/2 cup veg. oil, 1 1/3 cups water ]
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 box powdered sugar (4 cups)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 package cream chese (8 oz.) at room temperature

Grease bottom of Dutch oven and sprinkle in pecans, coconut, & white chocolate chips. Prepare cake mix by directions on package & pour over pecans, etc. Combine cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar & vanilla in a bowl. Drop cream cheese mixture onto surface of cake mix by spoonfuls but do not stir. Bake for 40 minutes with 8 briquets under DO and ring on the lid.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Northern Lite (The TARDIS)
I just picked up a 12" lodge myself on sale at Joe's. Not for the screaming deal you got but still a bargain at $55. Since we are in the middle of a kitchen remodel and are without a stove, I'll be trying mine out this weekend. Good luck with yours.
Wayne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Thanks for all the great recipes! Can't wait to try them!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote