New Method for Corn on the Cob - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The Secret Recipe

Carl,

My mother will kill me for giving away the secret corn muffin recipe...

One time when I ran a soup kitchen I made spaghetti with homemade sauce. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, I burnt the sauce. With a 100 or so people coming I was in trouble so I dumped it into another pot and finished the cooking. After the meal people came up to me asking what spice I used because they thought it was great. I told them it was a family secret.

(Nothing to do with the above but one lesson that I learned at the soup kitchen was that people were generally not hungry for food but rather starving for companionship, as the Beatles sang "all the lonely people...")

As to the corn muffins, when Ginny went to get the corn I said pick up a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix. Only slight modifications to the mix. I cut all the corn off the cob, adding it to the mix, added a teaspoon of baking powder, stirred it after adding the required egg and milk and then let it rest for about 5 minutes while the oven warmed to 400 F.

They were obviously loaded with corn, keeping them very moist.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I first did corn this way over 35 years ago, right after we got our first microwave. We still do it this way at times.

What we MUCH prefer is to soak the corn in water with the husks on for 5-10 minutes, then put in either on the coals of the fire, or on our BBQ grill, and rotate until heated through, with hopefully a few slightly browned areas.. I can't explain why, maybe this crystallizes the sugars further, but it seems to have way more flavour.

But heck, I have eaten lots of sweet corn raw. Plenty good that way too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Carl,

My mother will kill me for giving away the secret corn muffin recipe...

One time when I ran a soup kitchen I made spaghetti with homemade sauce. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, I burnt the sauce. With a 100 or so people coming I was in trouble so I dumped it into another pot and finished the cooking. After the meal people came up to me asking what spice I used because they thought it was great. I told them it was a family secret.

(Nothing to do with the above but one lesson that I learned at the soup kitchen was that people were generally not hungry for food but rather starving for companionship, as the Beatles sang "all the lonely people...")

As to the corn muffins, when Ginny went to get the corn I said pick up a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix. Only slight modifications to the mix. I cut all the corn off the cob, adding it to the mix, added a teaspoon of baking powder, stirred it after adding the required egg and milk and then let it rest for about 5 minutes while the oven warmed to 400 F.

They were obviously loaded with corn, keeping them very moist.

Norm,
I promise I will not tell your Mom that you gave me one of her favorite recipes!
Ha! Sometimes the quickest recipes are the best!
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #24

Name: Tom
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I first did corn this way over 35 years ago, right after we got our first microwave. We still do it this way at times.

What we MUCH prefer is to soak the corn in water with the husks on for 5-10 minutes, then put in either on the coals of the fire, or on our BBQ grill, and rotate until heated through, with hopefully a few slightly browned areas.. I can't explain why, maybe this crystallizes the sugars further, but it seems to have way more flavour.

But heck, I have eaten lots of sweet corn raw. Plenty good that way too.
Jim, just the opposite here. We've been roasting corn on the grill for years. Same method as yours. This microwave in the husk method is new to us.

We found some really tasty sweet corn today. We did the microwave thing and couldn't believe how good it tasted. It squeezed out clean as could be. Amazing! I wish I knew this years ago.

Norm, I grilled some midwest lobster (porterhouse steak) to go along with the corn. What a meal! We bought a new little propane grill to take camping, and I'm learning it's quirks. So far, so good.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #25

Florida
Beef

Tom K,

We've been known to detour through Nebraska to get a good steak. Steak does go with everything.

Our grandson works with a lobster man during his summers. Our first thanksgiving with our daughter-in-law's family was lobster, lobster and steak, a real feast. Love those Mainers.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #26

Name: Sally
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Massachusetts
Corn

I tried the microwave corn for supper. To tell you the truth, I didn't like it at all. It was over cooked and soggy. I usually shuck the corn, put them into a pot, and pour boiling water over them and just let them sit for 5 minutes or more. They warm up more than they cook. Raw is the best way to eat corn, IMO. If you haven't tried it, you are missing out!

BTW, you should NEVER use any kind of plastic wrap when cooking. It gives off nasty chemicals and is very unhealthy. The same goes for paper towel. If you notice, all the ads for paper towel talk about cleaning, not cooking. The manufacturing process uses all sorts of chemicals that are not safe to eat. For Saran wrap, the problem only occurs when you add heat. For storage in the fridge, it's fine.
Sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #27

Florida
Sally,

Interesting. Our corn did not come out soggy, crisp kernels I thought. I guess if you want them closer to raw one could try shorter cooking times. We cooked three ears for 12 minutes. Next time I'll try 3 minutes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #28

Name: Sally
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Massachusetts
Microwaves vary

Well, microwaves vary, and so does the juice delivered by the power company. I have a pretty "hefty" microwave, so maybe I over cooked them.

But then, lately, the power company has been delivering less juice. I know because I have to toast my toast twice lately.
Sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #29

Name: unsubscribed
Trailer: Shopping
Oregon
I'm starving!
LindaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:44 AM   #30

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
As to the corn muffins, when Ginny went to get the corn I said pick up a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix. Only slight modifications to the mix. I cut all the corn off the cob, adding it to the mix, added a teaspoon of baking powder, stirred it after adding the required egg and milk and then let it rest for about 5 minutes while the oven warmed to 400 F. They were obviously loaded with corn, keeping them very moist.

I do this too, but sometimes use cream corn. And sometimes half and half, cream and whole (1/2 can of each). I found some beautiful corn last night. Big plumb juiccy looking kernals. Its' microwave corn on the cob tonight!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #31

Michigan
Sally, we had 3 ears of corn, cooked for 12 mins in our 1,400W microwave, and it was perfect. Not at all mushy or soggy.

Tim and Norm, I like to add corn to cornbread too. Usually frozen from a bag, because we always have that on hand, but I also sometimes add creamed corn, chopped bacon, chopped onion, jalapeño, cheddar cheese, etc. Not at the same time though! I like to cook it in cast iron.

OK, now I'm hungry.

Tom
Old 07-21-2014, 07:07 AM   #32

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
No microwave in my trailer. I use an asparagus steamer. I can fit up to 3 modest sized ears, shucked in the one I have. 5-6 minutes after water starts to boil in the steamer. The Coleman grill/stove comes in handy. Steak or brats or whatever on the grill side, corn on the stove side.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #33

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
It would be great if you all would refrain from discussing your thoughts on power costs, and the governing of the power system here. Let's keep to the topic at hand, that being the total yumminess of corn on the cob.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #34

North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Tim and Norm, I like to add corn to cornbread too. Usually frozen from a bag, because we always have that on hand, but I also sometimes add creamed corn, chopped bacon, chopped onion, jalapeño, cheddar cheese, etc. Not at the same time though! I like to cook it in cast iron. OK, now I'm hungry. Tom

Oh yeah, corn bread in a well oiled or greased 10" cast iron skillet. One box of the Jiffy mixed up with a little corn flows out to about 1/2"-3/4" thick and makes a great cake.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #35

North Florida
Humm, while I kind of dislike bumping an old thread that I was the last poster on, here goes. I have been eating a lot of microwave corn the last couple of weeks. Seems to be a lot of it in the stores and the price is coming down (25 cents an ear). Anyway, I have taken to slightly longer cooking times, around 4 ½ minutes for corn left in the fridge. Like when I bring it to work and throw it in the fridge with the rest of my lunch. A good hot ear of corn on the cob adds a nice touch to a lunch of what is otherwise leftovers. Sad to say that a post on the FGRV Forum about cooking corn in the microwave brings me the most joy recently.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #36

Michigan
Cheer up Tim, you're living in paradise! Palm trees, sandy beaches, flip flops, Tervis cups and now cheap corn. You're livin' the dream!

Tom
Old 09-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #37

North Florida
Dang, cheap corn was the dream? All this time I thought it was a very inexpensive, local, highly optioned, and very lightly used Escape 19!