Oregon
I'm starving!

Old 07-21-2014, 06:44 AM   #30

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
As to the corn muffins, when Ginny went to get the corn I said pick up a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix. Only slight modifications to the mix. I cut all the corn off the cob, adding it to the mix, added a teaspoon of baking powder, stirred it after adding the required egg and milk and then let it rest for about 5 minutes while the oven warmed to 400 F. They were obviously loaded with corn, keeping them very moist.

I do this too, but sometimes use cream corn. And sometimes half and half, cream and whole (1/2 can of each). I found some beautiful corn last night. Big plumb juiccy looking kernals. Its' microwave corn on the cob tonight!

Old 07-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #31

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Sally, we had 3 ears of corn, cooked for 12 mins in our 1,400W microwave, and it was perfect. Not at all mushy or soggy.

Tim and Norm, I like to add corn to cornbread too. Usually frozen from a bag, because we always have that on hand, but I also sometimes add creamed corn, chopped bacon, chopped onion, jalapeño, cheddar cheese, etc. Not at the same time though! I like to cook it in cast iron.

OK, now I'm hungry.

Tom
Old 07-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
No microwave in my trailer. I use an asparagus steamer. I can fit up to 3 modest sized ears, shucked in the one I have. 5-6 minutes after water starts to boil in the steamer. The Coleman grill/stove comes in handy. Steak or brats or whatever on the grill side, corn on the stove side.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #33

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
It would be great if you all would refrain from discussing your thoughts on power costs, and the governing of the power system here. Let's keep to the topic at hand, that being the total yumminess of corn on the cob.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #34

North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Tim and Norm, I like to add corn to cornbread too. Usually frozen from a bag, because we always have that on hand, but I also sometimes add creamed corn, chopped bacon, chopped onion, jalapeño, cheddar cheese, etc. Not at the same time though! I like to cook it in cast iron. OK, now I'm hungry. Tom

Oh yeah, corn bread in a well oiled or greased 10" cast iron skillet. One box of the Jiffy mixed up with a little corn flows out to about 1/2"-3/4" thick and makes a great cake.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #35

North Florida
Humm, while I kind of dislike bumping an old thread that I was the last poster on, here goes. I have been eating a lot of microwave corn the last couple of weeks. Seems to be a lot of it in the stores and the price is coming down (25 cents an ear). Anyway, I have taken to slightly longer cooking times, around 4 ½ minutes for corn left in the fridge. Like when I bring it to work and throw it in the fridge with the rest of my lunch. A good hot ear of corn on the cob adds a nice touch to a lunch of what is otherwise leftovers. Sad to say that a post on the FGRV Forum about cooking corn in the microwave brings me the most joy recently.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #36

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Cheer up Tim, you're living in paradise! Palm trees, sandy beaches, flip flops, Tervis cups and now cheap corn. You're livin' the dream!

Tom
Old 09-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #37

North Florida
Dang, cheap corn was the dream? All this time I thought it was a very inexpensive, local, highly optioned, and very lightly used Escape 19!