nnot a camp oven but good deal on Lodge - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-29-2016, 11:20 AM   #15

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Have to ask. Why does the cast iron have to be smoother than it is, if properly seasoned?

Old 08-29-2016, 12:06 PM   #16

Name: James
Trailer: Trillium 4500 & Hunter Compact II
New Jersey
A well seasoned "rough" cast iron skillet is definitely sufficient, and better than an insufficiently seasoned smooth skillet. But you can appreciate the upside of the smooth skillet once you've used both. The 'rough' ones are slightly harder to clean, especially if you get gunk on them from bacon or chicken or something sugary (again not worth the premium unless you are a collector).

The smooth finished cast iron is even more non-stick and easier to clean, all things being equal. Although I like the smooth surface more, whether I use my 12" Lodge (which I have not gotten to sanding yet) or my smooth antique is dictated more by the volume of what I am cooking.

From what I understand the old manufacturers, including Lodge used to have an extra step in production using a round sanding stone after the skillet/oven was cast. However, the process as a whole was expensive which is partially why most are no longer in business and why Lodge no longer polishes their skillets.

Either cast-iron surface is still way more 'non-stick' than an enameled cast iron product or stainless and way healthier than anything with a chemical non-stick surface.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:21 PM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I collect and use cast iron. My DW says it's an illness not a hobby. I have 14 skillets, several muffin pans, a waffle iron, a stew pot, 2 inside Dutch ovens, and 5 camp Dutch ovens. I only buy old skillets. My oldest is a Wapak #12 skillet that is more than 100 years old, and my newest skillet is an unmarked Lodge from the 1960s. Nothing cooks better than old, smooth skillets. For camp Dutch ovens, any will do; even Chinese "junk". By the way, I never travel with more than one small Dutch oven unless I've giving a class.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:33 PM   #18

New Jersey
Tom forgive me for feeding the cast iron addiction but speaking of Chinese cast iron, take a look at these cast iron woks. I got the 16" wok a few years back (and have a flat bottom carbon steel hand hammered for when I can only cook on a regular 'western' stove. They are both pretty cool, they are all of about 2-3mm thick. They cook great, look great to serve in and the cast iron holds a season much better than the carbon steel woks. You need a very high heat flame to cook properly in a wok but a camp fire sounds perfect to me and these are pretty light; nothing like the pretend woks you see out there... Traditional Cast Iron Wok
Old 08-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #19

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13 Deluxe Birch w/front dinette
Wisconsin
Registry
you tell 'em Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I have a bunch of cast iron pans, but I don't want to drive them around in the trailer.
I've replaced them with T-Fal Pro Series non-stick pans, which were give top rating by America's Test Kitchen for being inexpensive, yet long-lasting ( for non-stick ), and they are less than half the weight.
Well Mr Baglo...you go ahead and tell them..you go

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:49 PM   #20

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Cast iron is a religion, like real BBQ.
I'm not going to try to convert anybody, especially since I have a half dozen cast iron of my own.
Speaking of. A burger or a steak tastes better when cooked in a cast iron skillet than on a BBQ grill. Corrals the fat that makes the flavour, instead of fanning the flames.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:28 AM   #21

New Jersey
Glen,
I hear you you on the weight considerations. Until I had my kid last year, I considered going into the woods with more than an alcohol ultralight stove and 1 liter aluminum pot excessive. But I do love cast iron cooked food.

As I get used to the FGRV becoming base camp it would be silly for me to not carry a little extra weight. I've already traded my 25lb pack for a 1000 lb trailer.

Tom,
What size dutch oven do you use when camping? I am having trouble wrapping my head around packing my 6 quart/20lb dutch oven.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #22

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I need to get a cast iron skillet. I baked naan at our last campout and it would have worked so much better with a skillet that retained heat better (but was delicious anyway). I wonder if I can find one that uses the same lid as my DO? (Which I think is a 5 quart tall.)

Oh that reminds me my extra camp oven lid turns over to work as a griddle. But it needs some work- I'll have to tell the story of why in another post!
Old 08-30-2016, 10:35 AM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Jim,
I travel with a 8" Lodge (2 qt.) when it's just the 2 of us.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #24

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Under the sea
Registry
Lodge cast iron is well made, but also I agree that they are a bit rough on the cooking side "out of the box." I have several, and the first thing I do is spend some time in the garage with my vibrating sander, and sand the interiors smooth as a baby's butt. Then I wash, dry and do a proper seasoning on them. It really quickens the seasoning and greatly increases the non-stick characteristics of the pans. I also have some "classic" cast iron skillets which I love as well. I love my Erie's and Griswalds. One thing I've noticed is that many of the older cast iron pans are a bit thinner and lighter, not an undesirable asset. They're still heavy enough to retain good residual heat but aren't quite as "clunky" as most of today's cast iron products are.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:33 PM   #25

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I need to get a cast iron skillet. I baked naan at our last campout and it would have worked so much better with a skillet that retained heat better (but was delicious anyway). I wonder if I can find one that uses the same lid as my DO? (Which I think is a 5 quart tall.)

Oh that reminds me my extra camp oven lid turns over to work as a griddle. But it needs some work- I'll have to tell the story of why in another post!
Bobbie, I would like to know more about baking naan in a cast iron skillet!
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:34 PM   #26

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I just used a recipe I found that didn't require yogurt (as I didn't have any) and mixed and let it rise (in the DO in the sun) and then my plan was to bake pieces in the DO over coals but it wasn't getting hot enough, so I ended up just cooking in the frying pan over propane. I think it would have been easier in a cast iron pan over propane, though. It was surprisingly easy and turned out tasty. Took a few minutes per side to bake but I kept the pieces warm in the DO (since I was no longer using it to cook them).