Omelet in a Bag - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2006, 11:50 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Omelet in a Bag

I found this recipe somewhere online and thought that it would be fun to have this one in our recipe section. It sounded like something easy, that we could do at Bullards!

Have your guests use a permanent marker to write their name on a quart size freezer bag.

Crack two large or extra-large eggs into the bag (more than two will not work), shake and knead the bag to break the yoke and combine the eggs.

Provide a variety of ingredients such as cheese, ham, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc…

Have the guests add the prepared ingredients of their choice to the bag and shake. Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.

Place the bags into rolling-boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You can usually cook 6-8
of these omelets in a large pot. Use another pot of boiling water if you have more than 8 omelets to make.

After 13 minutes, have the guest take their bag, open it and the omelet will roll out easily onto their plate. Be prepared for everyone to be thrilled.

A serving suggestion would be with fresh fruit and a coffee cake, muffins, caramel rolls, jelly rolls, etc…

The omelets are a great conversation piece and everyone gets involved in the process. It's easy, convenient, delicious and low-fat!!
Elsie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:41 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
I just tried it this morning! Verry good taste and...idea!!!
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 35 ft Park Model
I made this for the two of us on Sunday morning. My better half was scoffing at me wondering just what the heck I was doing. Nevertheless I persisted and followed the directions exactly...

This recipe turned out fantastic. I never could make an omelette before - but I can now!

Thanks Elsie!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:05 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Thanks Elsie! That is my kind of cooking. This is a print it and save it, or as some would say...a keeper.
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: I've woken up many a morning feeling bagged...Now I can cook one Thanks... Gotta go I hear the water boiling... Alf A. north shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:23 PM   #6

Trailer: Apache
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news as i liked this recipe and posted it on another forum.
Just had a heads up from another camper that cooking in the freezer bags may be a health hazard, may or may not be a problem but i feel it should be passed on.
http://camping.about.com/od/campingrecipes...plocbaggies.htm
Denis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:00 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news as i liked this recipe and posted it on another forum.
Just had a heads up from another camper that cooking in the freezer bags may be a health hazard, may or may not be a problem but i feel it should be passed on.
Hi: Years ago my wife left instructions for the kids to put the pan of chicken wings in the oven @ 5 p.m. The only thing she forgot to say was to take off the plastic wrap before putting them in the oven... They were definately a health hazard Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:15 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
I’m glad you brought up this. We should be clear though. Zip Lock bags are different then Freezer bags. This article is talking about Zip Lock bags. I don’t know what the freezer bags are made of.

Several companies Do make bags designed to cook in. ie Renolds, etc.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I watched my daughter try this with standard zip lock bags. Ewwww, what a mess.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:04 PM   #10

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
We tried this on our Thanksgiving week-end. Great idea, just don't use dollar store zip-lock bags.
The bags split just as I went to lift each one out of the water.
jean
norman and jean mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 35 ft Park Model
I can vouch for the necessity of using ZIP-LOC brand bags (By Johnson and Johnson). The cheaper bags do not work as well. We buy our zip-locs in bulk from Costco.

PS: do not add any liquids like milk, etc - they will not work out.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote