Peanut Butter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2003, 10:32 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Peanut Butter

What's your favorite Peanut Butter recipe? Here's one of mine, to get things started.
Of course we make these ahead, for camping trips.
:sporty

Peanut Butter & Oat Bran Cookies

1/2 c. melted margarine (of course, butter tastes better)
1/2 c. granulated (white) sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 egg (or 2 egg whites)
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. white flour (unbleached, all purpose)
1 + 1/2 c. Oat Bran (Oat Bran Cereal)
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix melted margarine (or butter) with sugars. Add egg; mix well. Stir in peanut butter and vanilla; beat until smooth. Add remaining dry ingredients (I generally sift together first, but many cooks don't bother); mix well. Drop by teaspoonsful onto ungreased cookie sheet. Criss-cross on each cookied with the tines of a fork. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes about 3 dozen.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 11:27 PM   #2

I love PB and OB cookies but have never tried both together.

Why is it that peanut butter cookies don't taste the same without the fork marks on top? :E :E

Old 02-19-2003, 07:40 AM   #3

Because without those fork marks on top, you've accidentally picked up the sugar cookie that's sitting on the plate right next to the p.b. cookies...? :o

Old 02-19-2003, 08:14 AM   #4

Peanut butter

I don't think this really qualifies as a recipe, but it's great to have on hand when you absolutely, positively, HAVE to have a tasty, pick-me-up snack...

Put a couple of heaping tablespoons of crunchy lo-fat PB into a bowl. Pour on honey until it reaches the "right" consistency (see how precise a recipe-er I are!), and mix them together. Add shredded coconut in the "correct" amount and mix all together. (You can toast the coconut for an an even more sinful mixture.)

Put it on crackers when the urge hits.

Old 02-19-2003, 08:26 AM   #5

Robert
I like that.:)

Old 02-19-2003, 08:42 AM   #6

I grew up on p.b.

Robert, Your recipe reminds me of the crazy way we used to eat p.b. when I was a kid. (Hey, it was my dad's idea!) We mixed it with white Karo syrup. Also ate that on crackers. Probably way bad for you, and I don't recommend it to Charles (not that Pam would allow it anyway) but, hey, we were kids! (Of course, my dad ate it along with us...)

:sunny

Old 02-19-2003, 09:03 AM   #7

Peanut Butter and Karo

Yep, That is some good, good stuff. YUM! I haven't eaten that in a long time.

Somewhere deep in my recipe file of things I use to make before I shouldn't, I have a recipe for a PB Cake with Chocolate Frosting. Talk about GOOD! But, Charles wouldn't like it. And Pam certainly wouldn't let him have that!

Old 02-19-2003, 09:05 AM   #8

>>But, Charles wouldn't like it

Hey, Suz. That's no reason to refrain from posting it. (I'll bet he doesn't even really like okra either.)

Sounds kind of like a Reese's p.b. cup cake.

Hey, want my peanut butter pie recipe?

:cblob

Old 02-19-2003, 09:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Orginally posted by Mary F
What's your favorite Peanut Butter recipe?
it says right here (see above) that we are getting a peanut butter recipe. so where is it?? (I don't think I'm getting enough rest.)
But thank you so much for the cooky recipe. I also LOVE Peanut Butter cookies and Oatmeal Cookies. always causes a decision problem. which one do I eat. so I eat both. this way I can just have one. :) or three or more :cblob

Old 02-19-2003, 12:15 PM   #10

Peanut butter and banana sandwiches. mmmmmm :)

Old 02-19-2003, 01:28 PM   #11

>>a peanut butter recipe. so where is it??

Take a handful of peanuts and put them in a food processor. Process until consistency resembles that of peanut butter.

:jester

Old 02-19-2003, 07:15 PM   #12

Yum Yum Peanutty Butter

My kids absolutely won't leave the campfire late at night unless I drag out the pie iron and make peanut-butter-in-a-round-things for everyone. Put a piece of white bread spread with peanut butter on each side of the pie iron, squash them together and toast over coals just long enough to brown the bread and make the peanut butter hot and soupy! We sometimes make them over the range at home just to remember camping out. Matter of fact, I think I'll make some tomorrow night:banana ! Wahoo!

Old 02-19-2003, 08:37 PM   #13

this is a good thread.
first a cookie recipe, then sandwiches, then memory lane with the karo. (that honey and shredded coconut I have not had - yet) now something to do with that toaster thing one of the kids gave me for christmas. I was polite, but I thought what in the world do I need this for? but we can have peanut butter in the round uh square. it was a square one, but I bet it will work. bring on the sun.

Old 02-20-2003, 07:45 PM   #14

Peanut Butter Cake

I haven't made this in a long time, and I cannot imagine who's diet it could possibly be on, but it was really good as I recall.

Peanut Butter Cake with Chocolate Frosting

2 cups cake flour plus 2 Tablespoons
3/4 tsp soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/3 creamy peanut butter
1 1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup orange juice
2/3 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease and line 2 9’’ layer pans.

Mix flour, soda, salt and baking powder. Cream butter and peanut butter until smooth then add sugar gradually and cream well. Beat in eggs one at a time until satiny and fluffy. Remove beater and use wooden spoon. Add flour and buttermilk and mix with the orange juice in 3 or 4 portions, beginning and ending with flour and beating smooth after each addition. Pour into pans and bake 25 – 27 minutes or until cake barely tests done. Let cool in pans about 5 – 10 minutes before moving to cooling racks.

NOTE: It has been a very long time since I made this cake, but I’m sure I used regular flour instead of cake flour and instead of buttermilk, I probably used sour milk (add a little white vinegar in a cup before measuring the milk.

Frost with Chocolate Frosting between layers and on tops and sides. Your favorite will do, but here’s just a suggestion.

1/4 cup butter
3 Tbsp cream or milk (approx)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 tsp salt

Melt butter over low heat; add 2 Tbsp of cream; add vanilla. Mix sugar, salt and cocoa. Add to butter mixture and stir. If too thick, add more cream or milk.

NOTE: Heating the ingredients makes it dark and glossy.

Old 02-20-2003, 09:36 PM   #15

Suz
That looks good.I like all that (not good for you stuff).

Old 02-21-2003, 08:46 AM   #16

Theres a lot of good for you stuff here, Ches.
peanut butter
buttermilk
orange juice
milk
cocoa - boy is this good for you. yum
eggs - yes they are. Doc said they were the easiest thing for your body to digest. found that out when Tom had his colon surgery. All those eggs Tom ate keep him going.

this is whats left :)
cake flour
soda
salt
baking powder
butter or margarine
sugar
Grease
more butter
vanilla
powdered sugar
more salt

I think this cake is a necessity.

Old 02-21-2003, 08:55 AM   #17

And don't tell any chefs, but...

I never put the salt in mine - ever. You don't tell anyone they won't know!;)

You are correct, as far as that kind of thing goes, it really isn't that bad, healthwise. Also, I have always used cocoa instead of the squares. Even before I new it was healthier ;)

Old 02-21-2003, 04:06 PM   #18

Peanut Butter Pie

Okay, even though nobody is clammering for my peanut butter pie recipe, Okra! is back on top of the index again. So here's my peanut butter pie recipe. (Actually, it was my grandmother's.)

Peanut Butter Pie
Makes 2 pies

2 scant cups sugar
2 cups sweet milk
3 Tbsp. peanut butter
5 Tbsp. flour
butter size of walnut

Mix together and cook until thick. Pour into 2 unbaked pie crusts. Top with meringue:

3 egg whites - beaten stiff, gradually add 6 Tbsp. sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla.

My grandmother always assumed folks reading her recipes already knew how to do basic things, such as make pie crusts and make meringue... and boil custard. Notice there is no temperature, cooking time, etc.

Old 02-21-2003, 05:37 PM   #19

well, clammer clammer. I lover all recipes. and I love Peanut butter. :) thanks

and cocoa is healthier?? I thought it was because it was chocolate. :) well, there you go!!

Old 02-21-2003, 07:37 PM   #20

Cocoa vs Chocolate

>>...and cocoa is healthier??

Indeed, it is. Or at least that was the belief at one time. The square of baking chocolate contains things that cocoa does not. For one, it is the cocoa butter I believe. The other is whatever they use to make is so solid. Both are big no-no's for people with cholesterol problems. Cocoa, on the other hand can be used with an okay oil like canola. Butter has been debated for years. Some actually believe it is better than the hydroginized oleo or margarine.

I always used cocoa simply because that is what I had on hand!