Popcorn - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #15

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I'm with KMO and make popcorn in a saucepan. The heavier the pan the better although I have light pans for camping; the heavy ones are at home. I LOVE Jiffy Pop, probably because I have fond memories of making it at home as a kid. If I recall correctly, they had really fun TV commercials too. Now I only use Jiffy Pop while camping and recycle the aluminum when the popcorn's all done. There's no pan to wash and it's just fun to see the top grow! It's a bit hard to find in our local grocery stores and you want to find a fresh package as the out of date ones can taste bad. When I see Jiffy Pop in our local store it is in the summertime and I get one or two to cook while camping. I usually cook Jiffy Pop on the Coleman or trailer gas stove. When we cook it on the firegrate we get lots of burned kernels. That may make for a great camping experience for some but not for me.

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:09 AM   #16

Name: Lyndon
Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Minnesota
As most folks know at our Midwest gatherings [scrambled eggs] almost every evening I make around a bushel of corn. i grow my own corn, a special kind [South american mushroom].It is a non altered corn. I use colored canola oil ,equal amounts of corn and oil with level teaspoon fine pop corn salt I have several donated poppers. our friends pick these up for me.I use a small camp stove it must be good as it all disappears.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Can't remember when I had Jiffy pop last. Have one hanging in the garage, when someone asks what it's for I tell them it's my fire alarm. Yup, I'm a redneck
Old 06-22-2014, 06:28 AM   #18

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Registry
Fire alarm, that's funny. I gots to get me one of them. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Can't remember when I had Jiffy pop last. Have one hanging in the garage, when someone asks what it's for I tell them it's my fire alarm. Yup, I'm a redneck
Old 06-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
We are lucky enough to enjoy camping carmel/kettle corn with our friends ,(thanks Chuck and Vicki), who make it in a Whirley Pop style popper on a propane burner when we camp together. So yummy!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:25 AM   #20

Name: Trent
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
Jiffy pop for the win. 1 jiffy pop per night is standard operating procedure for my family whilst camping. The toddlers get a kick out if the process with all the shaking and popping and all.

I've also been making popcorn with my camp stove on backpacking trips for years. I made an instructional video some time ago. Enjoy.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #21

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Here is the oldest Jiffy Pop commercial I found. I DO remember it. Those were the days...

VINTAGE JIFFY POP GENIE COMMERCIAL - YouTube
Old 06-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #22

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
While Jiffy Pop is fun to watch, for me the taste is too much like cardboard. Even less a fan of microwave stuff at all either, WAY too much salt and fake butter....gross.

Any method that uses fresh raw kernels, with just a bit of oil needed to pop, wins out in my books. This way you get to flavour to suit your tastes, PLUS you get to use REAL BUTTER, not the refined vegetable oil substitutes.

My name is Jim, and I am a popcorn snob.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #23
KMS

Name: Kay
Trailer: Heading to Minnesota to pick up my Scamp 13!
California
Okay, so what do you put on your popcorn once you have popped it? Back in my hippie days, hard to believe this but the fashion was kelp powder, brewer's yeast, and tamari (soy sauce). It wasn't as bad as it sounds. The soy sauce made it soggy though.

I have retained a fondness for brewers yeast (Red Star, a tasty flake style), but have reverted otherwise to simple organic butter and sea salt.

I also love popcorn balls but I never get the caramel right. Not a candy maker I guess.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #24

Alberta
Registry
Brewer's Yeast is a great topping for popcorn. I also have added a sprinkle of cayenne powder too, just enough to give it a bit of a kick. We picked up a few toppings sold at a farmer's market once that were quite good. Low on calories, and high on taste. Not sure if I could find them again.

Most of the time though, I just lightly salt and butter it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #25

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Most of the time though, I just lightly salt and butter it.
Keep it simple, it is just popcorn after all!
Old 06-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #26

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Not a fan of microwave at all, but willing to give Jiffy Pop a try. It's been years. My favorite popcorn maker is an Aladdin No-Shake Corn Popper. Basically an aluminum pot with a lid that incorporates a thick wire loop. The loop goes down to the bottom of the pot. You twist the top around to agitate the kernels that are cooking in oil or butter. When I was a kid in the 50's my grandmother used it. I told her how good her popcorn tasted, and she gave me the popper after we got married. Not as good as Grandma's, but still better than any other method I've tried. I think even Jim would approve!

Tom
Old 06-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #27

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I think even Jim would approve!
LOL....But first I would have to try it. Maybe next time either of us are in the others territory, okay?

I did check out that popper online, it seems like a great unit.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #28

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Been using the same flat bottom pan with a slide over screen on a long handle for nearly 30 years. If one masters the Zen of not burning the stuff it works great.

Butter, salt, seasoning salt, and natures seasons. Grated parmesan cheese for a gourmet touch. But my favorite is just butter and salt. Wife does not want butter, dog and myself are in the butter camp. The dog sort of seems to favor the cheese version most of all.