Popcorn - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2014, 07:11 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Popcorn

How many people make popcorn without using a microwave, when you are camping? What is you method? Does anyone use the Rome popcorn popper over the campfire? terry r.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have used the wire mesh basket type over the fire with good results. Melting butter is usually the toughest part, but no problem if you plan ahead and have some in a small pot by the fire.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #3

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
We use the old time popper on the stove camping and at home. Thee type you hand crank.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
120v Hot Air Popper. Melts the butter while you are popping. http://www.amazon.com/Presto-04820-P...popper+reviews Have a LARGE bowl ready, it will throw out a bunch of popcorn quick!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #5

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Has anyone here ever had a Jiffy Pop work on anything? Not me! Looks cool in the package tho.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Jiffy Pop is evil! It brings no joy to the world, broken promises and false expectations.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Jiffy Pop is evil! It brings no joy to the world, broken promises and false expectations.
Still I sometimes succumb to its lure in the campground grocery store. The oily, burned kernels are just the ticket for late evening camping cravings.

What the world really needs is a healthy popcorn easily prepared while boon docking. Not likely to appear in my lifetime, though there are pre-popped bags available that sometimes are quite edible.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
there are pre-popped bags available
Prepopped, the very thought of it makes me all kinds of sad and mad all at the same time.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
I have one of these and love it. https://www.nordicware.com/store/pro...r#.U6SZYfldVuI

Note that you can find this thing a LOT more cheaply elsewhere, but the video here is interesting.

it's really a wok sort of thing but in a nice form factor. pass the butter....
Old 06-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #10

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
We use the old time popper on the stove camping and at home. Thee type you hand crank.
Chuck
The Whirley Pop is the ticket baby!

That and the Wabash Valley Farms Real Theater Popcorn is tough to beat - and their all inclusive popping kits are nice for camping too.

Addendum: Hey, I see they even have an open fire version. Who knew? Well someone probably knew but I didn't.
Attached Images

Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #11
KMS

Name: Kay
Trailer: Heading to Minnesota to pick up my Scamp 13!
California
I've never made popcorn any other way than in a saucepan. Little oil on the bottom, handful of popcorn, turn the stove to high, wait for the first pop, start shaking the pan, and in a couple of minutes you'll have popcorn. I've never figured out why anybody needs anything special to make popcorn with. For a standard size saucepan, just cover the bottom about one layer deep. That's it!
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
I use a whirly pop at home. I guess I will pack it with my non GMO popcorn and my extra virgin coconut oil in it and do things just like at home.

I do love popcorn and it is a little healthier snack than chips and such, especially when I use the healthier ingredients.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:34 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I have one of these and love it. https://www.nordicware.com/store/pro...r#.U6SZYfldVuI

Note that you can find this thing a LOT more cheaply elsewhere, but the video here is interesting.

it's really a wok sort of thing but in a nice form factor. pass the butter....
That's a neato lookin' thing.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #14

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I use the cast iron frying pan - bit of oil in the bottom- a not too generous handful of corn - keep shaking it as it pops. Oh yeah - don't forget a lid!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #15

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I'm with KMO and make popcorn in a saucepan. The heavier the pan the better although I have light pans for camping; the heavy ones are at home. I LOVE Jiffy Pop, probably because I have fond memories of making it at home as a kid. If I recall correctly, they had really fun TV commercials too. Now I only use Jiffy Pop while camping and recycle the aluminum when the popcorn's all done. There's no pan to wash and it's just fun to see the top grow! It's a bit hard to find in our local grocery stores and you want to find a fresh package as the out of date ones can taste bad. When I see Jiffy Pop in our local store it is in the summertime and I get one or two to cook while camping. I usually cook Jiffy Pop on the Coleman or trailer gas stove. When we cook it on the firegrate we get lots of burned kernels. That may make for a great camping experience for some but not for me.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:09 AM   #16

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
As most folks know at our Midwest gatherings [scrambled eggs] almost every evening I make around a bushel of corn. i grow my own corn, a special kind [South american mushroom].It is a non altered corn. I use colored canola oil ,equal amounts of corn and oil with level teaspoon fine pop corn salt I have several donated poppers. our friends pick these up for me.I use a small camp stove it must be good as it all disappears.
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Can't remember when I had Jiffy pop last. Have one hanging in the garage, when someone asks what it's for I tell them it's my fire alarm. Yup, I'm a redneck
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:28 AM   #18

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Fire alarm, that's funny. I gots to get me one of them. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Can't remember when I had Jiffy pop last. Have one hanging in the garage, when someone asks what it's for I tell them it's my fire alarm. Yup, I'm a redneck
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
We are lucky enough to enjoy camping carmel/kettle corn with our friends ,(thanks Chuck and Vicki), who make it in a Whirley Pop style popper on a propane burner when we camp together. So yummy!
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:25 AM   #20

Name: Trent
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
Jiffy pop for the win. 1 jiffy pop per night is standard operating procedure for my family whilst camping. The toddlers get a kick out if the process with all the shaking and popping and all.

I've also been making popcorn with my camp stove on backpacking trips for years. I made an instructional video some time ago. Enjoy.

Receo is offline   Reply With Quote