Pressure cooker cookies? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Burro (Dance Hall Edition ''The Casbah'')
Greetings!

I love using my pressure cooker at home and I have been using an ancient Presto. It does seem to give off quite a bit of steam when it's jiggling at pressure which I don't mind at home with a fan blower on but I'm concerned about using it in my burro because we try to keep the moisture down in it to prevent mold.

So I'm wondering if the newer pressure cookers give off less steam?

Now I also would like tips on baking in the pressure cooker. When I use to live on a sailboat, I used it to make cornbread but that's been over 20 years ago so I need a refresher on how to bake in the pressure cooker.

If I buy a new one, I have my eye on a 6 quart is that large enough to bake.

And has anyone been bold enough to try to bake cookies in one? I'm not sure that would be feasible or not. Yet after seeing Robert bake cookies at the San Antonio Lake Rally in his oven equipped fiber stream, I've been hankering to discover a way to bake cookies in our ovenless burro.

Celebrate life!

Laurie
Laurie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:55 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Rosemary started a topic waaay back in September 2006 and there's a link to "baking" with a pressure cooker...that you may find interesting.

Pressure Cooker meals, and, yes, I mean the stovetop appliance, not "having a bad day"

I know more people probably bake with a Dutch Oven (which for some unknown reason goes with fiberglass trailers ) than pressure cookers....but maybe you'll start a new trend
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Rosemary started a topic waaay back in September 2006 and there's a link to "baking" with a pressure cooker...that you may find interesting.

Pressure Cooker meals, and, yes, I mean the stovetop appliance, not "having a bad day"

I know more people probably bake with a Dutch Oven (which for some unknown reason goes with fiberglass trailers ) than pressure cookers....but maybe you'll start a new trend
Thanks Donna, I actually researched the archives before posting my question and though the post with the link mentions that she uses a pressure cooker to bake it doesn't offer the 'how to' and that's what spurred the question I posted because I realized I really don't want to have to lug around a heavy dutch oven when I could bake in my pressure cooker.

So any one have the 'how to's' to share??

Warmly,

Laurie
Old 05-23-2007, 12:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, goes to show I should have read the link before I posted it for you. I'm sure you're like me, everything you've Googled has turned up cakes, not cookie receipes. So, I'll be interested in seeing what others post.

I guess that's what a microwave is for...Cookies don't brown, but taste just fine!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Well, goes to show I should have read the link before I posted it for you. I'm sure you're like me, everything you've Googled has turned up cakes, not cookie receipes. So, I'll be interested in seeing what others post.

I guess that's what a microwave is for...Cookies don't brown, but taste just fine!!
Thanx Donna, I appreciate your help!

And you know I wasn't aware you could cook cookies in the microwave. We don't have one in our burro though if we had the space, I'd love the convection oven, toaster combo.

So can you bake cookies from scratch in a normal microwave or do you need to use the already made ones found in the refrigerator section of the grocery store?

Warmly,
Laurie
Old 05-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
So can you bake cookies from scratch in a normal microwave or do you need to use the already made ones found in the refrigerator section of the grocery store?

Warmly,
Laurie
Found on Google Search...

Microwave Raisin Spice Drops

[b]Ingredients<blockquote>
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup cold coffee or milk
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts </blockquote>
[b]Method

Put butter in micro proof mixing bowl. Cook on roast Medium HI for 45 seconds, or until melted.
Add sugar, egg, and coffee to butter. Blend well.
Add remaining ingredients. Mix. Take a piece of cardboard, approximately 11 by 14 inches. Cover with wax paper. Drop 16 rounded teaspoons of batter on waxed paper. Cook on HI for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, or until cookies are done. Rotate cardboard one half turn during cooking time.
Remove cookies to cooling rack. Repeat with remaining batter.

Yield: 4 - 5 dozen

You can store the batter, covered in refrigerator for up to one week.

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:52 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Yet after seeing Robert bake cookies at the San Antonio Lake Rally in his oven equipped fiber stream...
Quote:
[b]...use the already made ones found in the refrigerator section of the grocery store?
That's what Robert does, use the pre-made frozen ones.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #8

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
That's what Robert does, use the pre-made frozen ones.
Shame on you Fred, you were not suppose to mention that.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2000
Yikes, I came here looking for information on how to take the old decals off our trailer and started reading, dang there goes my morning.

I have a recipe for making cheese cake in the pressure cooker. I'll post it in case anyone is interested in trying it. The most difficult part is finding a small enough springform pan to fit inside of the pressure cooker. The recipe calls for a 7" pan. While our kitchen was being remodeled we used the Casita as our kitchen and this was a favorite way of making a lovely dessert for special occasions. The remodel from hell took six months so the Casita stove got much use.

Pressure Cooker Lemon Cheesecake
For the crust:

1 tsp softened butter for greasing the pan
1/2 c chocolate wafer or graham cracker crumbs

Filling:

16 oz regular cream cheese, room temp (Don't use reduced fat, the cake won't set properly)
1/2 c sugar
2 large eggs
1 TBSP fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 - 2 tsp grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla

Garnish (optional)
Berries, cherries, sliced fresh fruit
Cherry pie filling (from a can)

Need to make a strip of foil to lower the cake into the cooker. Cut about a 18" long piece of regular foil. Double two times longwise to make a long strip.

Grease bottom & sides of springform with butter. Coat sides with crumbs and sprinkle remaining crumbs on bottom.

In my home kitchen I use the food processor but on the road you can just whip these ingredients together well: cream cheese and sugar until very smooth. Blend in eggs, lemon juice and zest and vanilla. The original recipe says to not overwork the batter but they are referring to using a machine - in the first step just be sure to get the sugar mixed in well so it's not grainy and in the second step just fold it all together well. Pour batter into pan.

2 cups of water into a 6 quart or larger cooker. Set a trivet on the bottom to raise the cake above the water. Center the uncovered pan on the foil strip and lower it onto the trivet. Fold the ends of the strip to the inside so they don't interfere with closing the cooker.

Lock lid in place. Over high heat bring to high pressure. Reduce the heat just enough to maintain high pressure and cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat. Allow the pressure to come down naturally. Remove lid carefully to let steam escape.

Let steam subside before lifting the springform from the cooker with the aid of the foil strip. Set on a wire rack to cool. If there is a little condensed water in the middle of the cake blot it up gently with a paper towel. Serve warm or cool to room temp. To cool and store cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 4 hours. Release and remove the rim of the springform pan. Serve the cake on the base of the pan - garnish if you choose. This cheesecake also freezes well. Defrost at room temp or in the microwave.

Enjoy!

Roberta
Terry F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:54 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
As to the question as to why don't more people use one, I really don't know about others but we have one and the wife is askeerd to death of it.Fears it's going to go KABOOMBOOM!!!!!
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
I wouldn't use a pressure cooker in the Casita. Years ago my mom had one explode all over their kitchen - ceiling too. What a mess.

Do you have an outlet outside. That would work - just in case it happens.
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:49 AM   #12

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I have no experience with baking in a pressure cooker. I don't think moist heat will result in a very satisfactory baked good. A Dutch oven will bake any cookie recipe though you would be limited to a few at a time due to the small interior size. I do have a small cookbook ( "Sweet Micro Magic by Marshia Yarberry) with four cookie recipes for the microwave.

Peanut Butter Cookies
Cream together; 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup white sugar, and 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter.

Add 1 beaten egg and mix well

Blend in; 1 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla

Shape dough into small balls - arrange in circle on waxed paper or baking tray

Flatten with fork dipped in sugar

Microwave 2 1/2 to 3 minutes on level 6 - cool. Cookies should be slightly doughy.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:04 AM   #13

Registry
Chow Mein Noodle Nests

6 oz. package chocolat chips
6 oz. package butterscotch chips
microwave in 2 1/2 quart casserole dish for 4 minutes - stir until smooth

add: 4 oz. can chow mein noodles & 7 oz. can cocktail peanuts
stir until well coated

drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper & chill
Old 10-24-2007, 05:10 AM   #14

Registry
Unbaked Oatmeal Cookies

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup canned milk

microwave 60 seconds - stir - microwave 60 more seconds and stir

add; 1/2 cup cocoa, 1/2 cup chuncky peanut butter, 3 cups oatmeal, 1 teaspoon vanilla

mix well and drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper - cool
Old 10-24-2007, 05:16 AM   #15

Registry
Raspberry Streusel Bars

microwave 3/4 cup butter in a 8"square dish for 1 -2 minutes until melted

stir in; 1 cup brown sugar, 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 cups quick cook oatmeal, 1 cup chopped pecans - blend well

remove 1/2 crumbs - save. press remaining crumbs on bottom of dish - spread with 1 small jar raspberry jam - sprinkle on saved crumbs

microwave 7 to 10 minutes - cool
Old 10-24-2007, 06:14 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2000
Hi Laurie,

For some excellent pressure cooker information/recipes check out books by Lorna Sass - you may be able to find them at the library. There has been mention in this thread re the dangers of using a pressure cooker - seems to me no more dangerous than many other cooking methods. Usually when there is a problem it is operator error - dirty seals or the seal not put in properly or in the old "jiggle top" pressure cookers the steam vent plugged, etc. The newer second generation pressure cookers operate with a spring-valve pressure regulator. They are designed differently and foaming foods like beans don't need to be as closely monitored. The newer pressure cookers don't hiss and there is none of the chugging sound of the jiggle top. When it comes to full pressure there is a little rod that pops up. Many advantages over the old type - they are also a bit more pricey but I find mine quite handy. I also have a skillet that came with the set and uses the same pressure lid. There is not as much steam as with the old type. Hope this info helps.

Roberta
Terry F is offline   Reply With Quote