pressure cooking - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #15
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
It's common for smaller cruising boats to carry a pressure cooker. First of all, they often do not have an oven. Also, when you're far from stores, you tend to use lots of dried beans and grains, and to have to conserve on fuel.

Anyway, that's just building up to what I was really going to say, which is pressure cookers can easily bake bread (not just quick breads, but "regular" sandwich type bread) and cakes. They're quite good, the main difference being the round shape and the fact that you don't get quite the same crust.

I figured some people might like to bake bread while camping, and probably not that many of us have ovens in our eggs.

PS If anyone is interested, I can post recipes or links to them.

PPS There are some pressure cookers (namely the foreign ones) that have two stubby handles instead of the one stubby and one long. Maybe not quite as handy for handling, but better for stowing.

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:42 PM   #16
Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
One word of warning about pressure cookers is that if they are made out of alumnium don't use them on a gas stove (it says so right in the directions , but who reads those).I was canning some fish and instead of doing it inside the house I used the side burner on the bbq, everything was going fine until the pot fell off the bbq! it was hissing steam the jars inside were smashed, what happened was the aluminum bottom of the pot got really hot and the pressure inside pushed it out into a concave shape untill it rocked itself off the BBQ. I tossed the whole thing in the trash

Rick kl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #17
Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I own a 30 year old Mirro pressure cooker that is aluminum and it has never been used on anything other than a gas stove. It still works great. And, I have a new GSI hard anodized pressure cooker that is aluminum and is used only on a 2 burner Coleman stove. Nowhere in its instructions is there any caution about using it on a gas burner.;p=40500&
1980 Bigfoot 17' & 1973 Compact Jr
Tom Trostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:04 AM   #18
Before the fish incident my pressure cooker worked great, I liked to put ribs in the pot to soften up before the bbq.

I what I meant was don't put a cheap pressure cooker on a gas burner (see instructions 1 and 13)

1. Read all instructions.

2. Always check the vent pipe before use. Hold cover up to light and look through vent pipe to be certain it is clear.

3. Always check the air vent/cover lock to be sure it moves freely before use.

4. Do not fill pressure cooker over full. For soup, grains, and dry beans and peas which expand during cooking, do not fill cooker over full. Overfilling may cause a risk of clogging the vent pipe and developing excess pressure. See food preparation instructions.

5. Do not pressure cook applesauce, cranberries, rhubarb, cereals, pastas, dried soup mixes, or any dry beans and peas which are not listed on the chart on page 29. These foods tend to foam, froth, and sputter and may block the vent pipe, overpressure plug, and air vent/cover lock.

6. This appliance cooks under pressure. Improper use may result in scalding injury. Make certain pressure cooker is properly closed before operating; cover handle must be directly above the body handle. See “How To Use Instructions.”

7. Do not place the pressure cooker or attempt to pressure cook in a heated oven.

8. Extreme caution must be used when moving a pressure cooker containing hot liquids. Do not touch hot surfaces. Use handles or knobs.

9. Do not open pressure cooker until internal pressure has been completely reduced, air vent/cover lock has dropped, and no steam escapes when the pressure regulator is removed. See “How To Use Instructions.”

10. Caution: To ensure safe operation and satisfactory performance, replace the overpressure plug every time you replace the sealing ring or sooner if it becomes hard, deformed, cracked, worn, or pitted. It is recommended that the sealing ring and overpressure plug be replaced at least every two years.

11. Close supervision is necessary when the pressure cooker is used near children. It is not recommended that children use the pressure cooker.

12. When normal operating pressure is reached, the pressure regulator will begin to rock. Gradually lower the heat to maintain a slow, steady rocking motion. If the pressure regulator is allowed to rock vigorously excess steam will escape, liquid will be evaporated, and food may scorch.

13. Caution: Do not use pressure cooker on an outdoor LP gas burner or gas range over 12,000 BTU’s.

14. Do not use this pressure cooker for other than intended use.

15. Do not use this pressure cooker for pressure frying with oil.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #19
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
PS If anyone is interested, I can post recipes or links to them.
Yes please. We had someone looking for Pressure Cooker Cookies recipe(s) a while back, don't think anyone was able to help at that time.
Pressure cooker cookies?
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:58 AM   #20
Name: Scott
Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
that's good to know. it's exactly what I was thinking of doing.
My Mom just offered me her hardly used aluminum monster for
use at the lake.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:05 AM   #21
I should mention mine was a Presto 4 quart from Canadaiantire.