propane bbq or grill - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #1

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
propane bbq or grill

Hubby has been hinting that he would like a propane bbq to take along when camping. He wants it small (mostly just the two of us) likely what would be called a tabletop model. He says he saw one that had both flat and angled grill surfaces that looked useful- but doesn't have a brand name. Who is happy with what they have?
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Hi Hazel, not sure your budget, but we love our Dickenson Spitfire 180 BBQ. We hook it to a low pressure quick connection on our Escape 19, but you can just use bottles, or a connection to the trailer tanks. Here is a review I did on it a while back. We are loving it even more since then, it is one of the best quality things I own.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...bbq-54271.html
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Hazel there was a lengthy discussion with lots of suggestions on the topic a few weeks back. The thread was called Good Gas Grill?

I have used small Weber BQ's for many years now and have been pretty happy with how long they last.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #4

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this topic. Hubby is happily comparing brands, models and prices.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Well thanks a lot Jim!

You just cost me $325.00 for that Dickinson Spitfire 180. LOL

I was looking for a replacement portable BBQ for my tired old Weber Baby Q, and that is the one I just ordered after reviewing it. Looks really well made.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #6

Registry
Yeah, sorry about that Greg. But that does not negate the fact that you still owe me a nice steak grilled on it some day.

There have been a few people buy them after my review, and all have been very happy. A very high quality piece of camping gear. It will likely outlast 3 of the small Webers.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
The main thing I care about on a propane grill, Hazel, is BTU's. Most other features are window dressing as far as I'm concerned. Supercheap units can be as low as 7-8,000 BTU's...takes forever to cook a steak, and it really comes out sorta grey looking due to the low, slow heat.

Fullsized bbq's are available with some honkin' hot burners, but tabletops tend to stop in the early teens, BTU-wise.

This one at Camping world is 12,000 BTU's- good and hot for most purposes and under a hundred dollars.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
We've got a coleman combo unit. 1 stove burner on about 1/3 of the surface and a BBQ grill on the other 2/3. The BBQ then converts to a flat griddle with the optional griddle plate. I don't see it exactly on the Coleman site, but this looks to be a newer version.
Coleman - Signature PerfectFlow
Although it runs off a 1 lb. tank, we use a hose and tap into the 20 lb tank we use for the propane lantern on a propane tree.
Lots of room for 2 people, I'm pretty sure we've BBQ'd enough wings and spuds for 6.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #9

Registry
Jim,
If you're down this way, I'll be happy to burn you a nice steak! I can't wait to get it...
Old 07-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #10

Registry
I found a solid steel (7 Gauge) grill, similar to their "Aussie Grill", but this one will cover virtually the entire 11" X 16" grilling surface. It is actually 10" X 16", so you'll have about a half inch on the front and back, but that's probably better for more even heating anyway. The "Aussie Grill", which is only 14 gauge steel, only covers one half of the cooking surface, so it didn't seem to me to be an adequately sized grill surface at only 8" X 11". This one is really well made and solid, twice as big, twice as thick, and cheaper in cost too. Just thought I would share this "find" with any others who might be interested.

Link: Rocky Mountain Cookware - RM1016 - 2-Burner Home/Outdoor Griddle - Best Price Guarantee! | Prima Supply
Old 07-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #11

Registry
The Aussie grill is nice to grill veggies on while you have a couple chicken breasts on the other side. That does look like a good grill for doing more stuff. We have one simular that is a little too big that we use with the open door stove.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #12

Registry
I was thinking more along the lines of being able to make more than one pancake, or other stuff where a flat top griddle would be handier to cook on. I will still keep the regular grates underneath, and it can just be lifted off the top to use them too. The smaller (1/2 grill) Aussie griddle just didn't appear to offer me a large enough surface area for what I'm looking to do. Probably would be ok for a "mixed grill platter," where you want to be able to grill and griddle at the same time, as you mentioned.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #13

Name: Jay
Trailer: former class c now an egg hunter
New York
Weber Baby Q.. we love ours! Very easy to store...set up is screwing in the propane tank in. Table top or handy cart which also folds down. The baby Q has more than enough grill space.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There is always the Cobb Grill Cobb Premier Portable Grill Store - Cobb Portable Grill Home
Old 08-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post
Weber Baby Q.. we love ours! Very easy to store...set up is screwing in the propane tank in. Table top or handy cart which also folds down. The baby Q has more than enough grill space.
I too had a Weber Baby Q for many years. I loved the way it cooked, and the amount of room it had for a small unit. But, alas, it finally succumbed to old age and it wasn't worth rebuilding it. The parts would have cost as much as a new one. I like the fact that the Dickenson unit is stainless steel and easy to clean and maintain. No regrets on having had the Weber, but I really like the Dickenson a bit more now that I have it.

Tags
propane