Provisioning the Camper Ice Box? - Fiberglass RV



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-07-2018, 08:49 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Gilda's Avatar
 
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Posts: 1,325
Registry
Provisioning the Camper Ice Box?

In 2011, when we purchased our 13' Scamp, we chose an ice box over a refrigerator for it's basic simplicity: put in a block of ice and you're done! Well, that's all fine as long as you can find blocks of ice along the road (it's becoming a rare commodity). Yes, one can use bags of ice, but they melt faster. The size of the storage area is greatly diminished due to the space taken by the ice. On the other hand we still prefer it's simplicity.

So, I have researched our Forum as well as the Internet and have not found a brilliant, nor adequate, solution as to how to provision, store and pack the ice box. I'm asking my fellow campers for ideas and solutions. Please include photos.
__________________

__________________
The Gleeful Glamper
Gilda (Jill-da)
"Here we go again on another amazing adventure"
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,861
Registry
The easiest thing to do is pack food that doesn't require an ice box or refrigerator. For idea on this you might try one of these books. LINK
__________________

__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 7,656
Registry
The OEM icebox is extremely inefficient for cold storage (and in our case way too small for 4 people). Insulation is thin, the front-opening door allows cool air to spill out every time you open it, and allowing melted water to drain is counterproductive.

We use the "ice box" for dry food storage (for which it works very well, being protected and temperature stabilized) and a 70qt. Coleman Xtreme for cold storage. Short of the super-heavy, super expensive Yeti-type coolers, I've found it to be one of the best available. Costco 20# bags of cubes, when available, are cheap and last 3-4 days depending on temperatures. Cubes melt faster but cool better (it's a trade-off). Rubbermaid bins keep contents out of the melted water.

If I were to use the icebox for cold storage, I'd add insulation around the box, install plastic flaps over the opening behind the door (like a walk-in fridge), and use lots of pre-frozen foods in addition to a block of ice. Cook as they thaw. In the field, you often end up with cubes because that's all that's available. Putting ice in a container to retain melted water improves cooling.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Posts: 158
Assuming you've made your own block ice at home (using milk bottles or such) but need longer term advice, and that you open it as little as possible (I've seen a suggestion to tape a schematic diagram of what's stored where to the outside, which I guess could save precious seconds), you've may have already gotten the best advice; don't use it for cool stuff. In addition to shifting to a carry cooler, maybe a 12-volt cooler in the car?
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,688
I must say, this is a cool topic!
__________________
Did you hear about the butcher
who backed into the meat grinder?
He got a little behind in his orders....
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Civilguy's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 1,027
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Well, that's all fine as long as you can find blocks of ice along the road (it's becoming a rare commodity). Yes, one can use bags of ice, but they melt faster. The size of the storage area is greatly diminished due to the space taken by the ice. On the other hand we still prefer it's simplicity.

So, I have researched our Forum as well as the Internet and have not found a brilliant, nor adequate, solution as to how to provision, store and pack the ice box. I'm asking my fellow campers for ideas and solutions. Please include photos.
Gilda,

There's been a lot written about the issues with propane (absorption) refrigerators. Although I really like having one, I have to agree that they can be a real pain in many respects.

However, the newer 12V compressor refrigerators are very simple, reliable and are reported to perform quite impressively. Some are refrigerator-freezers which can make ice. There are many chest-style units that would avoid the need to redo your in-trailer installation, and a few cabinet-style that might be "installable". They don't require sidewall vents in your trailer to install.

One of their biggest drawbacks is that they are expensive. Engel, ARB, and Whynter are all known name brands. I see there are also now some inexpensive brands being offered on eBay and Amazon which I've never heard of including SMAD and Alpicool; I don't know how good or bad those might be.

Anyway, it's something you might want to consider as another option.
__________________
~ "This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects." ~
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
Posts: 303
Icebox ?

Gilda and friends, Julie and I also have a 13' Scamp that came with an Icebox. But we removed it and installed a wooden cabinet with two shelves that slide way out on rollers. An icebox is not very useful for shelves because you lose a lot of space to the insulation ; our 'cabinet' is much deeper, wider, taller. and the door is thinner. If your built-in icebox is on the side of the trailer that is facing bright Calif sun, ice hardly lasts at all !
We use a very good Ice Chest , but just a moderately priced one. It can travel in the trailer where we eat, or be put in the Pickup if we are taking a day trip, and it can be moved to the cool side of the PU bed or even brought into the air conditioned cab. And we always try to park in the shade even in the desert, or we run the magic fan with windows open and a big white painters dropcloth over the trailer or windows. Never put warm beer or drinks in an ice chest; charts show it brings up the temperature immediately. I freeze gallon cartons of ice in milk cartons, plus even milk and orange juice, any liquids. And have read that when the ice melts from a block of ice, don't drain it. The cold water helps maintain the cool temps.
As someone mentioned, unless you are where there are no stores, don't bring much perishable food, or even canned food. Boondocking is a different situation, but some of the same ideas work then too.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Posts: 1,979
Registry
Walmart sells a Yeti knock off in lots of sizes. Much Less than half the price compared to Yeti. Store it in your tow vehicle and use the original ice box for food storage as someone else recommended.
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:31 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
francene's Avatar
 
Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Washington
Posts: 454
Registry
Hi Gilda,
Have you tried those Blue Ice packs? Probably last longer than ice bags, and not messy.
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 7,656
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by francene View Post
Hi Gilda,
Have you tried those Blue Ice packs? Probably last longer than ice bags, and not messy.
After they thaw, unless you have a means to refreeze, they become dead weight. For a weekend... maybe.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post

As someone mentioned, unless you are where there are no stores, don't bring much perishable food, or even canned food. Boondocking is a different situation, but some of the same ideas work then too.
Just curious about the canned food comment, in relation to refrigeration/cooler. If you're willing to consume a can of soup or the like, without leftovers, I don't see why it's an issue (other than controlling general storage space).
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Posts: 944
In addition to ice, some of the food in the ice box can act as additional ice with reasonable results. Cartons of milk and bottles of juice are examples. I assume turnover in an icebox is rapid. So frozen strawberries for smoothies or cocktails could work. Same with frozen meat. Not only do they add to the chill, they aren't relying on the ice to stay chilled, in the short run.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #13
Member
 
Name: Eddie
Trailer: 1989 Casita 16 footer
Tennessee
Posts: 43
I'm Thinking an icebox,insulated like a Yeti,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The OEM icebox is extremely inefficient for cold
storage (and in our case way too small for 4 people). Insulation is thin, the front-opening door allows cool air to spill out every time you open it, and allowing melted water to drain is counterproductive.

We use the "ice box" for dry food storage (for which it works very well, being protected and temperature stabilized) and a 70qt. Coleman Xtreme for cold storage. Short of the super-heavy, super expensive Yeti-type coolers, I've found it to be one of the best available. Costco 20# bags of cubes, when available, are cheap and last 3-4 days depending on temperatures. Cubes melt faster but cool better (it's a trade-off). Rubbermaid bins keep contents out of the melted water.

If I were to use the icebox for cold storage, I'd add insulation around the box, install plastic flaps over the opening behind the door (like a walk-in fridge), and use lots of pre-frozen foods in addition to a block of ice. Cook as they thaw. In the field, you often end up with cubes because that's all that's available. Putting ice in a container to retain melted water improves cooling.
A little ice maker works great,don't draw much current,makes cubes quick.
Then put the cubes in the ice box.
Eddie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 7,656
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie B. View Post
A little ice maker works great,don't draw much current,makes cubes quick.
Then put the cubes in the ice box.
Might work, but it takes a whole lot of cubes to maintain a safe temperature due to the inherent inefficiencies of the icebox design. Seems like it would be more efficient to cool food directly with 12V power.
__________________

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ice ice baby - an alternative to traditional a/c or hocus pocus? glamourpets Modifications, Alterations and Updates 24 02-02-2013 09:38 AM
Burro Ice Box Free jimtesla Classified Archives 6 10-25-2006 01:49 PM
Wanted: Ice Box for Boler Trailer Kurt in BC Classified Archives 1 10-15-2006 09:39 PM
Boler ice box wanted mrsfisher Classified Archives 0 02-17-2006 04:44 PM
Ice Box - Where to find? Sandy Gilpin Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 10 12-09-2005 10:26 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.