question for Cobb cookers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1999 Casita Spirit Deluxe
South Carolina
Registry
Cobb - additional experiences...

OK, by now I've cooked pork chops, St. Louis style ribs, and (as I type this) doing a London Broil. Observations....wow, very, very good meat....moist and delicious. I did overcook the pork chops a bit, but still had good taste. Putting beer in the moat made the meat even more moist, gave it terrific taste, and made cleanup a bit easier. Still the unit is a chore to clean. I'm with the others, though, the hassle of the cleanup is outweighed by the taste of the grilled food! I've done veggies in foil each time as compliment. Amazing how much stuff you can get in there, and it doesn't seem to be a problem to stack it. I do find myself having to put more coals on after an hour (Kingsford) - lifting the cooking surface up to put more coals in is a 2 person job. Additionally I really need to find a smaller diameter charcoal chimney - it's hard to heat up 4 or 5 briquettes!

Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #16

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
What's the difference?

I'd never heard of the Cobb cooker until I read this thread. I'm very interested in getting one. Looks like a fabulous way to cook delicious meals on the road. So I googled Cobb cooker and learned there are numerous cookers from $69-300. So what's the difference in them. What's the best one to haul in a little 13' Scamp???

Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
They are all about same size, just different accessories and or finish. Stainless steel, porcelain finish.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #18

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Tom
The grill itself acts as a chimmney for starting the charcoal.
Eddie
Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The factory charcoal ignites itself and cooks for at least 3 hours.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #20

California
Registry
Cool. Definitely on my list, right after the new battery, fantastic fan and solar panel. I do have a dutch oven to use in the mean time.
Linda
Old 01-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #21

Pennsylvania
Registry
You will find the Cobb is more versatile than the dutch oven and a lot lighter!!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #22

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You will find the Cobb is more versatile than the dutch oven and a lot lighter!!
That's what I find appealing--only 9 lbs. How does it perform as a regular BBQ? For hamburgers or a steak?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #23

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Little Guy Teardrop
Ontario
I got one for Christmas. I used the self lighting charcoal instead of regular charcoal and fire starter and started just fine. It was about - 5C and calm. I used 12 pieces to compensate for the temperature and cooked a 1.7 pound roast beef and 2 baked potatoes in 1.5 hours. Could have cooked it slightly less and with the 8-10 pieces recommended. It was another 3 hours for the charcoal to burn out.
It's definitely going south with us next month.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #24

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
That's what I find appealing--only 9 lbs. How does it perform as a regular BBQ? For hamburgers or a steak?
Otters, We have the antique model made about 2002 and when doing regular grilling (hot dogs burgers etc) you can't keep lifting the cover off as it will never get hot enough to grill. We got so we only cook like whole chickens, pork, or a roast, put the cover on it and forget it till its close to being done. The book that comes with it gives you the approximate cooking time. We have a guy in our camping club that does baking biscuits, pizza, etc in it but he's an experimenter and usually has 3 or 4 grills with him
Old 01-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #25

California
Registry
Thanks Bill for the info. I was hoping it could replace my little grill and the chimney charcol starter I carry around. Still...looks like a great little cooker.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #26

Pennsylvania
Registry
Maybe it is the charcoal issue here, but one round Cobb charcoal and use of the platter without the lid and I'm grilling hot dogs, sausages and hamburgers in 15-20 minutes. Perhaps the heat out put is different but I have used mine as a griller since day one and a cooker since day two without any issues, other than I may have overcooked the roast. Perhaps the charcoal is not putting out enough heat but the Cobb brand round briquets self light and put out enough for cooking anything.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I love the way my Cobb roasts chickens and beef.
I even roasted corn on the cobb the last time I cooked a chicken and it was great.

If you like to keep your BBQ clean this is not the one for you.
The grate and roasting rack clean up well in the dishwasher.
The base that collects the grease is a real pain.

I going back to my small kettle BBQ that burns the grease.

John
Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #28

Name: Scott
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
I've been using my Cobb for two months. I've cooked a pork roast, pork chops, steaks and burgers. I tried cleaning it once but is huge pita, figure I can wait till I get home and clean it than. I like it and a small bag of charcoal goes a long way though I think I'll order some of the Cobb bricks for baking, the slotted grill and the wok.