Question re: Using stovetops - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2007, 02:06 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
In one of the other forums on this site, someone asked what things owners most wanted and could most easily do without in their RVs. In the latter category, I think stovetop burner was most often mentioned, and one person cited a reason (hard-to-clean grease).

I suppose this means folks eat outside alot, using the grill which has some health disadvantages (can contribute to cancer).

What I'm wondering here is whether anyone here uses a pressure cooker in their RVs and whether that stovetop is suitable. A good one is so multipurpose (serves as a dutch oven and you can saute and steam in it), clean (no grease problem), energy saving and darn quick (soups in a few minutes for example).

Unless there's a problem I don't know about with the burner, it could be that so many folks I talked to--even some who cook frequently--have never used one, partly because of old lady's tales about exploding pressure cookers, food on the ceiling, noisy jiggle tops, etc. In some cases they recall seeing something like that happen as a kid.

I've got to tell you--the modern pressure cookers which use a valve are quiet and fool proof (they have four different ways of letting off pressure if you forget). You can make delicious soups in a few minutes and roasts iin an hour without using a great deal of heat. You put it on high until the pressure goes up and then you turn down to relatively low for a few minutes (I usually set a timer). How about risotto without stirring?

Another nice thing is that when you chop things up, you can have the pot sitting right by and often--since most recipes are mostly one stage--you can throw everything in the pot as you chop. The food is delicious. There's lots of great recipe books available for the inexperienced cook but you soon learn to adapt any recipe to pressure cooking.

My recommendation is to go with the best-- Kuhn-Rikon (the so-called "Cadillac of pressure cooking"), in the 7-quart model. You probably won't find it in local stores but can find it online (I got mine at Amazon).

If you want any ideas for cookbooks (and you can find some good used or "remainders" online for a few bucks), I'll be glad to suggest a few titles.
Frank G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Frank, you are not the only peressure cooker person. I use mine at home every day. Yep, the stove top does work for pressure cookers. I did not op for the "Cadillac" of PC for the egg. I found the one at Fred's Dept. Store Chain for about $10 gets the job done, fits under my range hood, and fits one of the burners in the egg.

I love fresh peas & other veggies when camping. The PC gets the job done and leaves me more time to do the things I want to do.
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Quote:
Frank, you are not the only peressure cooker person. I use mine at home every day. Yep, the stove top does work for pressure cookers. I did not op for the "Cadillac" of PC for the egg. I found the one at Fred's Dept. Store Chain for about $10 gets the job done, fits under my range hood, and fits one of the burners in the egg.

I love fresh peas & other veggies when camping. The PC gets the job done and leaves me more time to do the things I want to do.

Using a pressure cooker while scamping is something I would have never thought of. I cook for a living too. I'm going to have to buy one and try it out.... Thanks for the idea folks.
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The reason for the response about not using the trailer's cooktop is due to heat and odors in a very small space. We travel with a two burner Coleman propane stove and a small table. This is set up outside under the awning and it's where I do 90% of our cooking. We also use a small charcoal grill, cast iron camp Dutch ovens, toaster oven, pie irons, microwave, and a GSI pressure cooker.

Tom Trostel

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/...zed/40500.html
Old 03-25-2007, 06:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
be carefull if you use a cooktop oven the plastic stuff under the vent cover likes to melt
like fan blades and outside flappers and other stuff that is annyong to replace

Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:11 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
What I'm wondering here is whether anyone here uses a pressure cooker in their RVs and whether that stovetop is suitable.
"Pressure Cooker Meals" was a previous topic. Thank you for revisiting it.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:24 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot (25B21RB) 2007 Bunkbed version
Quote:
The reason for the response about not using the trailer's cooktop is due to heat and odors in a very small space. We travel with a two burner Coleman propane stove and a small table. This is set up outside under the awning and it's where I do 90% of our cooking. We also use a small charcoal grill, cast iron camp Dutch ovens, toaster oven, pie irons, microwave, and a GSI pressure cooker.

Tom Trostel
Does the GSI pressure cooker have more than one pressure setting? I'm interested in it for the size since usually I'm just cooking for one or two persons.
Bernie Seward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:11 AM   #8

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Only one pressure setting on the GSI pressure cooker - 12.7 PSI. It's 10" wide and 9.5" tall. Weighs 4.2 lbs. Inside diameter 7.5"

Tom Trostel
Old 04-08-2007, 02:13 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have a teeny tiny one that I've been experimenting with - so far I've mastered brown rice and steelcut oatmeal - Haven't been brave enough to try beans yet. It really is a great way to cut down cook time and therefore fuel.

So far, I'm pretty happy with it (but a little sorry I didn't get a bigger one)
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Have you guys tried this pressure cooker site? I didn't try to download any of the recipe "books", but I think it is free stuff. This is a huge group of recipes.

http://missvickie.com/index.html

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote