Road Trip Recipes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I just bought this cookbook at True Value. I think the cover photo was calling to me! Thumbing through the recipes, there's a nice bunch of easy to prepare, yummy sounding recipes that use a slow cooker or microwave or propane stove.

Gooseberry Patch - Take Along Road Trip Cookbook - Picnic, RV, Camp Out, Travel Friendly Recipes
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Have you tried any of the recipes yet? I'm a cookbook freak, so I'd be interested in knowing if this is one I should own.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #3

No Marsha I haven't. Sure is fun reading the recipes tho!
Old 05-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #4

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Hey Donna, thanks - I love camping cookbooks, I'm going to get this one (even if it's just for the cover ). Here's another one that I really like Campfire Cooking. It's divided up by method - like 'on the grill, pie irons, on a stick, DO', etc. I'm sure the campers next to us wondered what we were having for breakfast one morning when we had the grandkids roasting 'snakes' over the fire (recipe for 'donut snakes' using refrigerated rolls and cinnamon sugar). Anyway, lot's of great recipes from campfire fries to one pot lasagna.

Enjoy

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I was hoping that was recipes for things to eat on the road- while driving! Junk food, of course, is easy, but not good for you, healthier foods tend to be messier to eat and to store.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #6

Quote:
I was hoping that was recipes for things to eat on the road- while driving! Junk food, of course, is easy, but not good for you, healthier foods tend to be messier to eat and to store.
When I was a kid, last century... my parents and I took a lot of road trips. I remember my mom fixing everything into bite-size chunks. Cut apples, melon balls etc. that just "popped" into the mouth. No biting needed. Corn chips were Fritoes... no crumbs everywhere. Even sandwiches were not messy. Usually a potted meat or tuna or chicken salad. Cut into fourths... that took two bites, but not much more even for a little kid. My dad drove with a kitchen towel laying on his right leg. Easy to wipe off a hand! What was difficult was drinks. Remember, no bottled waters or soda with screw caps... they hadn't been invented yet! But there was Tupperware and my Dad drilled a hole through a couple of lids that were on small containers. We always had a cooler on the back seat to keep food cool.

Ahh the memories, thanks for letting me relive them
Old 05-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Here's another one that I really like Campfire Cooking. It's divided up by method - like 'on the grill, pie irons, on a stick, DO', etc.
Enjoy
What fun! Kathie, do you carry the cookbook in the trailer? I'd love to thumb through it at some future gathering
Old 05-18-2010, 08:04 AM   #8

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
What fun! Kathie, do you carry the cookbook in the trailer? I'd love to thumb through it at some future gathering
I usually do have that one with me so you can check it out (only 58 days to Bullards )

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
I ordered Campfire Cooking, the one mentioned by Dave & Kathie, from Amazon, hoping it arrives in time to go along on my Memorial Day camping trip. It sounds clever, that it is sectioned by types of cooking, and will probably be fun. Will let you all know if I have success with it...hehe

Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #10

Name: Tina
Trailer: Bigfoot
Quebec
I just saw this book on-line and ordered 2 copies.... Holiday Fun Year-Round with Dian Thomas

Looks like I shall keep it handy in the Boler. I love cooking while camping. Dutch oven, wok and grill are the main tools.

Below are 2 favorite camping meals... eggs Benedict and pork roast with spicy Brussels sprouts.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2440.JPG   IMG_2438.JPG  

Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Quote:
I just saw this book on-line and ordered 2 copies.... Holiday Fun Year-Round with Dian Thomas

Looks like I shall keep it handy in the Boler. I love cooking while camping. Dutch oven, wok and grill are the main tools.

Below are 2 favorite camping meals... eggs Benedict and pork roast with spicy Brussels sprouts.

Tina,
YUM!
Deb
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
You might want to check out Dian Thomas' earlier book "Roughing It Easy" I have one from 1975. I still pull it out occasionally. They are still available from Amazon
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote