Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Well, here it is. Sorry I am soooo terribly late posting.
We fix it like a casserole with the rice on the bottom, add the chili, add the onion, add the cheese. Then we top it with the celery. You can also mix in the finely chopped jalapenos if you know everyone is ok with that--since it kinda hides itself in the celery.
The way Jimmy made it was in a cup. See the description at the bottom of the information.

I got this info on this site:
http://dallashistory.freeforums.org/shangh...hlight=Shanghai

This is as written on the site, including the poster's comments.

Ingredients:

2 lbs. beef – lean chili cut (I have found that a nice lean roast ground into chili meat works best)
6 beef bullion cubes
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons cooking oil
4 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon red pepper (this is his recipe. He means cayenne pepper. You might adjust to your taste)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder (NOT garlic salt)
4 teaspoons ground cumin
4 tablespoons chili powder (again, adjust to your taste)
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons corn meal
4 teaspoons lemon juice (see alternative ingredient at the end of the recipe)

Recipe:

Allow about 2½ hours to prepare.

Heat two tablespoons cooking oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chili meat and fry for 15 minutes. DO NOT STIR THE MEAT.

Turn the meat, without stirring, and cook for another 10 minutes.

While you are doing this put 6 cups of hot water in a 4 quart pot and dissolve the bullion cubes. When the beef is cooked break it up and add to this stock. Add the bay leaf. Add one additional cup of water. Be sure to use the grease that cooks off the meat in addition to the meat itself. Cook this for 1½ hours over low to medium heat (slow boil). You may cover the pot if you wish.

At about 1 hour and 20 minutes combine the following ingredients in a mixing bowl: Sugar, salt, red pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder.

Stir to mix well. When mixed stir it into the stock and leave at a slow boil for 10 minutes (leave the pot uncovered)

Mix the flour and the corn meal well. You do not want any lumps in this. Then add ¾ cup of water to form a watery paste. Once again stir well to eliminate any lumps. Then add this mix to the chili. This is the thickening agent.

Stir well and continue stirring for 5 minutes at a slow boil.

Cut the heat to below a simmer and add the lemon juice. In place of the lemon juice you may use 2 teaspoons of cider vinegar or 4 tablespoons of sherry if you like. Whatever you use, stir it in well.

Transcribers note:

I have successfully multiplied this recipe to make up to 10 gallons of chili at a time. The only alteration was that I often used less meat than would be called for with a straight multiplication of the ingredients.

While the recipe on the LP does not mention the rice or the way to mix the chili with it, here is my method based on experimentation and memory of how Shanghai Jimmy did it:

I always use Uncle Ben’s Converted Rice. It seems to divide into individual grains and stay firm. When I use this rice it is most like what I remember eating at Shanghai’s places.

As I recall he would add a pat of butter to the bottom of the Styrofoam cup and then add a layer of rice. Next he would add a layer of chili. This repeated at least two times. I never had mine with cheese, onions or celery so I am not sure when he added these ingredients. My thought is on top but I could be mistaken.
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote