Slowcooker Recipes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2008, 09:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Ok everyone I need Help I got a very nice slow cooker for Christmas( 5 qt size) I have looked and looked everywhere for recipes using the meat prob,but have Not found any,that I think we would like. I have found some that call for wine but .......well I would much rather drink it,than cook with it,thank you very much. If anyone has any slowcooker meat prob recipes they would like to share I could sure use some.

I do like to take the slow cooker camping and being able to do meat in it would sure help..we do get tired of soups and stews all the time and in the summer it is just to hot to enjoy them.

so much for the help. Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Lynn,
Question---What is a meat prob? A device to check the temperature? If so, I'm not familiar with one designed to be used with a slow cooker.
Any book store should have books with crockery pot recipes. One such book in my wife's collection is "Extra-Special CROCKERY POT Recipes" by Lou Seibert Pappas.

Wishing you success---please share them with us all,
Ann & Kurt K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Kurt, Hamilton Beach makes a slow cooker with a meat probe: Hamilton Beach 33966 6-Quart Slow Cooker

I'm surprised it didn't come with a cookbook.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Thanks Donna!
I guess this goes under the heading of "learn something new every day"! No cook book does seem strange. I guess it is possible to overcook something in a crock pot, but we've never achieved that dubious distinction. We actually cooked a ham for 12 hours once and, other than being super tender, it was absolutely delicious.
Still looking forward to hearing about successful recipes.

Ann & Kurt K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:15 PM   #5

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Kurt, Hamilton Beach makes a slow cooker with a meat probe: Hamilton Beach 33966 6-Quart Slow Cooker

I'm surprised it didn't come with a cookbook.

Sorry I have been away from the "puter" for a few days..............Yes,Donna ...that is the one and no it did not come with any recipes. I love this cooker and it does cook great...I have learned that if the pot is not full cut the cooking time in half. I will keep on looking and anyway there are lots of things to cook in it now.

Thanks one nad all for the help.........Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008 / Jeep Wrangler 2008 Unlimited
Quote:
Sorry I have been away from the "puter" for a few days..............Yes,Donna ...that is the one and no it did not come with any recipes. I love this cooker and it does cook great...I have learned that if the pot is not full cut the cooking time in half. I will keep on looking and anyway there are lots of things to cook in it now.

Thanks one nad all for the help.........Lynn

Maybe this link will have the manual for you:
http://www.kitchenmanuals.com/ex/thr...idThread/24898
Anders Laurits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
A crock pot with a probe... I'm going to have to look at that one next time I'm in the department store. Intriguing.
Probably the best use of the probe would be in poultry roasting, where internal temp is critical for safe foods, and the product doesn't really benefit from extended cooking. My understanding is the probe turns the pot down to warm when the product hits temp, which should keep a chicken or a turkey breast from getting as mushy or shreddy if left in the pot longer than needed to cook it. And, with the probe, you won't have to lift the lid to get a temp and release all that nice steam and heat. I'm sure you can adapt a ton of great chicken and turkey crockpot recipes to work with your probe!

Otherwise, the old rule of lower the price of the meat, lower the cooking temp, longer the time is so perfect for pot roasts, ribs, and briskets in the slow cooker.... but they're not strictly internal temp driven. I learned the hard way years ago while cooking my first corned beef brisket that just hitting safe internal temp left me with nicely seasoned shoe leather.... It needs a lonnngggg time in low heat to tenderize. In my home oven, that's 300 or so for four hours, sealed with a little liquid (no peek!): in the crockpot, six to eight hours, ditto. I preheat my crockpot liner in the microwave (turntable off) for one minute to get it really hot in a hurry, then add the corned beef and carrots and enough liquid to almost cover the brisket fatcap up (leave an inch or two exposed... they're all injected plus a lot of fat melts,and you'll have more liquid as it cooks). On high till liquid is a steady simmer for an hour or so, then down to low (not warm) for 6-7 hours... Cabbage and potatoes go in about halfway through. Hold on warm till dinner time, slice across the grain not with it (critical). I usually put mine in the crock just after breakfast. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

By the way, I've done many small turkey breasts (bone in is best, I think) in my five quart, and they're great, but I have to watch them near the end so they don't overcook and fall apart, get chalky, mushy, etc.(Again, even if you start almost dry, unless they're natural or organic turkey breasts, they're injected with solution and you'll have extra liquid in the pot.) Set it up and season it just as you would in a regular oven, except be careful of pepper.. it gets strong in the broth from the extended cook time. Add a little liquid (broth or water) to get the steam going early... just a few tablespoons for injected product. My friend often roasts whole chickens in hers, no liquid, just butter dotted on top. (I haven't tried that, but I'll let you know if I do...)

Anything I slow roast in the oven that will fit in my 5 quart will roast in the crock, too... just takes longer.

Sherry

PS maybe you'll be the first author out there with the probe slow cooker cookbook! Happy adapting!
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
50+ Slow Cooker Recipes posted today on MSN:
Slow Cooked Comfort - Warm Up the Easy Way
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:33 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
These comments were in the link Donna posted for the pot:

6) Cooking Options- Various- Temperature, Manual and Program Modes. Program Mode is just as it sounds. It cooks so subtly on low that there is no way you are going to burn the food. Then it flips to warm. No fear of leaving the house for 6 hrs and coming home to the smell of fried anything. By far the coolest options is the…

7) Meat Probe- there I said it… meat probe. This is an option I haven’t seen anywhere else and alone makes it worth the price. The Probe fits in to a small hole through the lid. One end goes in to the meat and the other gets plugged in to the machine itself. You cook “what ever” until it’s the internal temperature you want and the machine automatically turns to warm. Not sure what temp the inside of your roast should be? No problem. Also on the lid are basic instructions for every kind of meat you can think of. They give you a setting based on medium so you adjust accordingly. Like a well done roast? Set the internal temperature for 170 instead of 145. Like it rare? Set it for 120.
The instructions give you an estimated time that it will take the meat to cook on both low and high, but if you are trying to gauge how much time is left, the front display shows a running count of the internal meat temp. You can tell how fast it's heating up.
END QUOTE
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote