Small Propane Tank/Bottle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #1

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Small Propane Tank/Bottle

I've seen in my travels some very small and squat propane tanks with a nice curved carrying handle on the top. The look like 5-10 gallon tanks. For the life of me, I can't find them with a Google search. Anyone know a brand of tank that fits this description?

Thanks.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:22 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I am not sure what you mean by a curved carrying handle, but I have a 5 gallon (approximate) tank I purchased at Camping World. Even full, it is light enough to carry long distances and is far better than the disposable 1lbs cylinders. But it looks like a "stubby" 20 pound tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-13-2016, 07:40 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Amazon lists some small propane tanks. The one gallon size is what I carry for my grill and propane lantern. The hose and tank cost about $65 but compared to the cost of disposable cylinders it does not take long to realize some substantial savings. While disposable cylinders are recyclable the refillable 1 gal tank works well for me.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Here is a small one beside a 13" spare tire.

Altered Tongue, 5 Lb Propane, Spare Added Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket

And, here's one on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Worthington-2...BGJ0QS4E5HEWDR
Old 09-13-2016, 07:54 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Correct name is "cylinder", but most everyone, including me, calls it a "tank". Manchester Tank (LOL, there's the tank word) is a major manufacturer of what they call both "tanks" and "cylinders". I have a couple 11 pounders and a 7 pound propane tank / cylinder. They both look like shortened 20's. So a search using cylinder instead of tank may turn up more results. Odd thing is the smaller cylinders cost more than a standard 20. I've seen smaller cylinders at Gander Mountain stores and you may find them at Amazon. My local ACE Hardware said he could order the 11's
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have an 11lb Low Profile Manchester tank I use for my fire pit and BQ.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #7

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I have an 11lb Low Profile Manchester tank I use for my fire pit and BQ.
I have a couple of those I got free. Note in the linked ad it's referred to as both a tank and cylinder
Old 09-13-2016, 11:13 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
I've seen in my travels some very small and squat propane tanks with a nice curved carrying handle on the top. The look like 5-10 gallon tanks. For the life of me, I can't find them with a Google search. Anyone know a brand of tank that fits this description?

Thanks.
Peg,

Manchester Tank and Worthington Industries are the two main manufacturers of steel and aluminum cylinders. You can get also fiberglass cylinders marketed under the Viking Cylinders brand; they are manufactured by Hexagon Ragasco. (This is a different company from the Lite Cylinder Company whose fiberglass tanks failed.)

If I recall correctly, while the sizes we commonly use for camping and whatnot are technically cylinders, they are also marketed as tanks so we consumers can actually find them.

Marine supply stores seem to feature the fiberglass and aluminum versions. Recertification is periodically required for all tanks and cylinders. Fiberglass and aluminum ones cost much more than steel. I was a bit concerned regarding the potential difficulty of getting the fiberglass one recertified in the future.

Worthington publishes dimensions and weights for 4.25, 11, 20, 30-pound and larger steel cylinders, and also for 6, 10, 20, 30 and 40-pound aluminum cylinders. Manchester provides a similar range in steel:

http://www.mantank.com/products/dotp...5-420steel.htm

I like the 11-pound steel size. You can get the inherent stability of nearly the same diameter as a 20-pound cylinder, but in shorter version. I have even pondered trading out the two 20-pound ones on my trailer's A-frame for two 11-pound ones, at least for shorter trips.

I bought an 11-lb steel Manchester from Amazon. It was about $58 plus shipping; they are much more expensive than the more-common 20-pound cylinders. I belatedly realized that I could have ordered one locally from an Ace Hardware and traded the shipping costs for sales tax while supporting my local store. My oops.

My 11-pound capacity steel one is 13.3 pounds empty and just over 24 pounds full. It fits nicely in a commercial plastic milk crate.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:40 AM   #9

New York
Mike; I downsized to one 11 pound tank on our Casita. Converted water heater to electric.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:02 AM   #10

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
The correct name for the "cylinder" that I wanted to purchase is a low profile tank/cylinder. But I saw one that had a nice carry handle that was "L" shaped - basically a 1/2" diameter rod welded off-center to the top of the tank and then bent to a right angle above the top of the tank. Ergonomically, it made a nice way to carry the weight of the tank. Pretty sure it was a 4.5 lb., 1 gallon tank.

Thanks, all, for your responses.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Small Propane Tank/Bottle

The 4.5 lbs Worthington tank available at Camping World (and Amazon) that I have has the typical "rolled" edge on the valve protecting ring. But even when full, it is so light that there should be no ergonomic concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #12

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Since I don't use a lot of Propane for my trailer, I couldn't see carting around two 20 Lb Propane tanks for no reason. I switched them to half sized tanks, so that I have Propane if I need it, but I've had these tanks for two years now and they are both still full. I also take a composite 20 Lb Propane tank, which I only use for our BBQ and cooking appliances, and it's basically the only Propane we use. We don't cook in the trailer, and we generally stay at places which have power, so if we need heat (heat cube) and/or hot water, we use electric power.

Reduced the weight on the tongue by a few Lbs. as well.

http://www.propanetankstore.com/11-l...-propane-tank/
Attached Thumbnails
casita 012.JPG   casita 010.JPG  

casita 009.JPG   Keder Rail1.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #13

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
Fiberglass propane bottles

I just bought a fiberglass propane bottle at West Marine. It is 12.5 liter, 8.6 lbs. They are lighter, never rust and best of all you can see how much fuel you have left, you can see the fuel through the bottle.
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Since I don't use a lot of Propane for my trailer, I couldn't see carting around two 20 Lb Propane tanks for no reason. I switched them to half sized tanks, so that I have Propane if I need it, but I've had these tanks for two years now and they are both still full. I also take a composite 20 Lb Propane tank, which I only use for our BBQ and cooking appliances, and it's basically the only Propane we use. We don't cook in the trailer, and we generally stay at places which have power, so if we need heat (heat cube) and/or hot water, we use electric power.

Reduced the weight on the tongue by a few Lbs. as well.
Yes, we also use a separate stove outdoors with the 11-pound cylinder. I'm learning that two 20-pounders is probably about two months of propane even if we were to boondock and run the fridge and water heater. And it's usually so easy to buy more while on the road. I'm really liking this idea of lightening the tongue weight.

On the other hand, I really wish you hadn't posted those pictures. Now I've got carport envy!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:29 PM   #15

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Thanks Civilguy,
I'll take that as a complement...
Greg
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:49 PM   #16

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We've got a couple of 5lbtanks. One from Home Hardware and one from Canadian Tire (I think). We like them and use them on the stove and bbq.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:00 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Sure you're not thinking of a curling stone?
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 9.59.47 PM.png  

Tags
propane