Smoked Pig Neck Bones - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2016, 04:30 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Smoked Pig Neck Bones

There's a funky little fruit and meat market in Arcadia, just south of us, named K&J located on route 70.

We discovered it last year and drop in about once a week. Last week we bought a standing rib roast for $3.99 a pound.

This week we were in the store and a young woman bought a package of the smoked neck bones about $1.25 a pound. I asked her how she prepared them. The neck bones in water for about 30 minutes, adds the green beans for 20 minutes and finally the potatoes adding salt, pepper and a little cayenne pepper and a chopped onion.

Before the potatoes the meat is removed from the neck bones and returned to the pot.

I loved the rib roast, the green beans were great.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I love pig snout. When ever I have it i tell the others at the table, "Oh look, theres two holes in my steak."
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
I love pig snout. When ever I have it i tell the others at the table, "Oh look, theres two holes in my steak."
Pig snout is also good in head cheese..
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Pig snout is also good in head cheese..
Hi: steve dunham... The only part of the pig that can't be used is the "Squeal".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:16 PM   #5

Florida
Now that we're Florida residents we need to become more southern with our cooking.

The south aside I bought a cast iron Ebelskiver pan last week and have prepared 'skivers' twice. Today I made lemon curd for the center of our next batch of skivers.

For the non Danish out there, an Ebelskiver is a spherical, very light dough ball, made with batter similar to a pancake maybe 50% larger in diameter than a golf ball.

With our pan I bought a Ebelskiver recipe book, $3. It should keep me busy for the entire FL season.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-09-2016, 06:20 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The local butcher shop in a small town ( Pop. 600) near us makes head cheese ,
Once a year, at Christmas , he makes between 1000 to 1200 lbs of headcheese. They take orders and you need to get your name on the list early or you may be out of luck.
It's not the same or as good as my grandmother made but it's close . My grandmother used pig's brain and the local butcher does not.
My wife bakes fruitcake and julekaga for me at Christmas .
I am a very fortunate man !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #7

Florida
This store had more parts of the pig than I've previously eaten.

Two weeks ago we went to the Pig Jam in Plant City, barbecue cooking contest and good live music. As well we went to Parksdale Fruitstand for strawberry milkshakes.

Tomorrow morning we're going to pick strawberries, miraculously we will pick berries most weeks until we leave in April.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-09-2016, 11:10 PM   #8

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Norm and Ginny, Now that you are Fl residents, there is a great Italian market about an hour or from you in Plant City down in St Petersburg call Mazzaros Italian Market. You may already know about it. Nothing like that around the midwest where we are now. We love to check out all of their fresh foods, cheeses, breads, noodles and of course their wine selections when we are in the area. We stock up on their wonderful pastas (among other italian spices, foods, etc) for a couple months when we are in the vicinity. Parking is tough, especially with a camper. Best time is EARLY Saturday mornings.

They will NOT have smoked pig neck bones or anything of the sort...LOL
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:51 AM   #9

Florida
Italian

Jon,

Thanks for the tip. My grandparents on my mother's side came from Sicily.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #10

Name: Estella
Trailer: Currently shopping.
California
Send a message via Yahoo to LaFille1
No pig meat of ANY kind for me, thank you...pigs have feelings too!!!
LaFille1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #11

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Had fried pig brains and rocky mountain oysters a few years back. Interesting, but cannot say either will ever be a staple, o come to think about it, possbily ever again...had to try both once.... Really like pickled pig hocks. And of course Pork Barbecue is the ONLY barbecue.....
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #12

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I tried the oysters as well, once, on a camping trip in Colorado. I think I told my young sons what they were a few years later. Thumbs up for head cheese and pickled feet. When I buy my ration of head cheese (I have to do it myself, my DW usually "forgets") some people at the deli counter ask me what it is. They have no idea what they are missing. On the other hand, we are all different - I am an omnivore, my brother is a vegan. Go figure.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:46 PM   #13

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
the only dane in my family was my dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Now that we're Florida residents we need to become more southern with our cooking.

The south aside I bought a cast iron Ebelskiver pan last week and have prepared 'skivers' twice. Today I made lemon curd for the center of our next batch of skivers.

For the non Danish out there, an Ebelskiver is a spherical, very light dough ball, made with batter similar to a pancake maybe 50% larger in diameter than a golf ball.

With our pan I bought a Ebelskiver recipe book, $3. It should keep me busy for the entire FL season.

: we had a Canadian version of Ebelskiver the doe was same size as gold ball and we put apple inside or Rasberry jam or Strawberry jam and sugar on top now I have to use no sugar on every thing but is okay as I like it any way.
My mom made here own version of Danish Pancakes and we only get them on Christmas Morning as they are so rich, once made they contain rolled up Strawberry jam low in sugar, butter, Splenda for me but for you sugar people use what ever on top, oooooooooooh so good. But remember to take the Yolk out of the egg then mix the two together.
another one we used to have and still do is rising bread yeast when just right we cut chunks off and stick in pan full of butter and fry then pull it out and put on a plate and as I'm diabetic I can only use limited amount of butter, Splenda and some low sugar Strawberry or Raspberry Jam, again ooooooooooooooh so good.
These are mostly once a year only.
stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote