Smoked Salmon - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2015, 11:30 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Smoked Salmon

Every year our Seattle son gifts us with 3 pounds of Smoked Salmon in two 1.5 pound packages (and about 4 pounds of 2 year Tillamock cheese). We love the cheese and of course the salmon.

The salmon is great for a small trailer because it's sealed in mylar and keeps without refrigeration. It means we can always prepare a high quality meal without shopping.

The only problem is 1.5 pounds is good when there's more than the two of us but it always means a lot of leftovers.

This year I found an Alaskan company that provides salmon in 4 oz packages. We bought 3 pounds for the Scamp. The reviews for it were great and I plan to cook some this weekend as a test.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:03 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Leftover salmon can be used to make salmon salad. Sort of like tuna or chicken salad for sandwiches. It is also a great as a leftover with pasta. Just cook some onion, garlic, and peppers in olive oil. Toss the salmon in last then toss in some bow tie pasta. I'm getting hungry thinking about it.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Lemme guess... Smoked Salmon Tenders, 4 oz

These are very popular in Alaska. The company is about a block from my home in Anchorage. Also sold at Costco and most retailers up here including Safeway and Kroger (Fred Meyer here).

If you like chowder, try this in place of clams for a divine smoked salmon chowder.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post

These are very popular in Alaska. The company is about a block from my home in Anchorage. Also sold at Costco and most retailers up here including Safeway and Kroger (Fred Meyer here).

If you like chowder, try this in place of clams for a divine smoked salmon chowder.
We purchased 12 4ox packages for $40. from a different Alaskan company with free shipping. I hope to make Ginny a meal this weekend. I'll let you know how they were..

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #5

Florida
Salmon Chowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post

Mike,

I made Salmon Chowder, with a green salad and biscuits for us tonight. It was great. We used 2 of our 12 4 ounce packets. We have enough left over for lunch. On the package of salmon it was printed use before 2019 (no typo). Of course it will not last through 2015.

Thanks for the thought, I had never made a salmon chowder.

Jack L

Ginny loves pasta and salmon. That will happen next week. I doubt the salmon will last through August.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I've never been a big fan of salmon in particular, but on our recent drive through Michigan's Upper Peninsula I stopped along US-2 and bought a 1.25 lb chunk of smoked lake trout. It certainly was good. Unfortunately I didn't get to eat much of it... I had it in my mother-in-law's fridge (while staying at her house) and failed to retrieve the remainder when we left! Well, I know her husband enjoyed it. He used to smoke his own fish, but with advancing age he doesn't get out to fish anymore.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:22 AM   #7

Florida
Mike,

We really like Salmon and it's good for you as well though relatively expensive to purchase. The closest good Salmon fishing is in NL and Labrador.

The recipe II used did not call for smoked Salmon. THe smoky ness does make a positive difference. The recipe also called for bacon, I cut back on the bacon, but everythings good with bacon.

Last week we had a number of people for dinner and I made a marinated pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon, another winner.

I do like to cook and Ginny likes me to cook as well, I guess we're a kitchen team..Ginny made a Coconut cake with the tenderloin. Generally deserts are not made here unless we're having guests.

One of our favorite ways to cook salmon is baked with a honey, butter mustard coating sprinkled with crushed pecans.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-25-2015, 10:44 AM   #8

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
My favorite way to prepare fish (works with tilapia fillets or whatever) is to cook over charcoal, with a handful or two of pre-soaked hickory chips thrown over the coals just before putting the fish on the grill with butter. Aluminum foil works to keep the fish from falling through the grates, but I prefer a stainless griddle plate because it's easier to scrape off the fish when it sticks. Grilling until it sticks is actually preferable for me; when the fish gets crunchy around the thin edges, it's really delicious.

For a while I was brining the fillets for 15 minutes or so before grilling, but I never measured the salt and water, so the saltiness varied greatly. So lately I just add some salt to taste when the fish is on my plate.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #9

Florida
Just about anything grilled is pleasing. Salmon on the road is usually smoked because we have a 2 cubic foot fridge. Meaning 3 lbs of salmon takes no real space.

We have a little shelve in the 'way back' of the Scamp's built in bread box. We use a plastic shoe box t store the salmon, now filled will 10 4 oz packs of salmon.

There are a lot of hide away storage spots in a Scamp.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16