Stackable/nesting cookset? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
Stackable/nesting cookset?

Not sure if this is the right forum, but this seems a catch-all forum, so... We just bought a new to us camper, and we're trying to get our camp kitchen set up. Right now, we're using an assortment of old pots and pans from our car camping days, but it would be nice to have a set that takes up less space. We don't need high quality -- you should see what we're using now! -- but we're not minimalists, I hate having to clean a pot in the middle of meal-making, so a larger set would probably be good.

What are y'all using? Any and all ideas appreciated! Thanks!
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
You can find old stuff on ebay. We were just at a Camping World store and they had two different sets, but big dollars, one around $100, the other set was over $200. I bought a Coleman cook set that nested, like new, at a yard sale but the non stick finish came right off after a couple uses so that got tossed. Another neat piece that you will have to search for on ebay is a Regal picnic pak, stackable food storage, aluminum, the bottom piece has a removable handle to use it as a fry pan, which we don't do. They are good for keeping your camping snacks & goodies in. Think they are from the 60's, some came with a striped insulated bag, we have four sets of them. They were also made by Buckeye. Can usually be had in the 20 to 30 dollar range. After buying a few sets on ebay and paying shipping too, I found one at a yard sale at a neighbors for $2!!! But for cooking we're still using extra old kitchen stuff.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
If price is of little concern and quality is of a higher concern I would suggest looking at cookware that is intended for use on a boat/yacht galley. Google "marine nesting pots" and you will find lots of options. Amazon has some choices as well. Take a look at this set to start Stainless Steel Cookware Sets (Nesting) | Galleyware Company.

I would suggest getting a set that is stainless steel. It is my personal opinion that Teflon while camping does not withstand the rugged treatment the pots are likely to get. However, both at camp and at home we have one Teflon-coated fry pan. We have All-Clad cookware at home.

Personally our aluminum nesting cook set is left from our backpacking/car camping days and we find it to be totally functional and easy to clean.

I have attached photos of our nesting set of camping cookware as well as our Rubbermaid nesting plasticware with "easy find lids".
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 007.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 008.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 006.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #4

Name: Neil
Trailer: Boler
California
Registry
We are using a beaumark heavy aluminum pot and pan in our Boler simply because we had them on hand. We have a 12" cast iron pan as well, but in reality we only use one pot and one pan. You can do bacon and eggs, steak or pork chops, fry up some potatoes in the pan. Boil water, make hard boiled eggs, or heat soup in the pot. All is non-stick so we just give a quick wipe with a paper towel and wash it when we can.

We really don't cook anything that would need more than those two pieces and aren't gong to carry anything more until we find we need it.
nlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #5

California
Registry
I had a Regal picnic pac until recently, never used. I could not think of how I would use it. Each layer was far too big to store foods that the two of us might use. I'm curious, exactly how do you use your pacs?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Recent camping trip included our daughter and her three kids. In the picnic pack was chocolate chip cookies, chocolate zuchini cake, zuchini bread, donuts, apple turnovers Food seems to keep good in it, but it was only a 5 day trip. Right now there are about 10 of them on ebay with widely varying prices. We had bought one for our daughter last year, now our son wants one and he doesn't camp. We use ours almost every camping trip. we just bought at Camping World some collapsible stuff, a dishpan, cullander, [strainer thing] storage containers, a couple other kitchen things that I don't remember but the cook wanted them. And she's a real good cook so I don't argue about buying cooking stuff. Only way to buy there is the things on sale, and if you're a Good Sam member sometimes the shipping is free or a low amount. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #7

California
Registry
Thank you. Looks like you are well-stocked with goodies!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have a set of collapsible storage containers from CW
Collapsible Bowls - Product - Camping World
most pots/pans are stackable from camping places, I'd stay away from aluminum though.

moved to camp cooking
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
those are nice options. you can also rethink what and how you cook things. for example a wok can be used for a lot more then stir fry. or my favorite is a nice dutch oven. soup, roast, shrimp boil,cakes and baked goods. a huge variety of things.and many of them the lid doubles as a griddle. sometimes its not about what you cook with,,,but what you cook, too. think about recipes that require little or no pot and pans. you may find you really don't need much to make a great meal. a simple grill over a fire has been known to cook some wonderfull meals. and sometimes simply wrapping in foil and setting on the coals is all you need.

so stacking pot set great idea... inventive use of what you have great idea...inventive cooking always a great idea!
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #10

Name: Angie
Trailer: In the market
Ohio
Try Nonstick Backpacking Cookware

I consider myself a foodie / wannabe gourmet, so I knew I would not be happy with low-end cookware. I am very happy with the aluminum non-stick sets which backpackers normally carry. The brand names are GSI and MSR (and others) and can be found at Campmor and Altrec and Amazon too.

These are not always the cheapest, but you can catch them on sale, and they offer many advantages. They are lightweight, and they nest to a perfectly compact little package. The handle comes off. I find that the "four person" set is big enough for cooking for two people.

My original set - I would guess it is 8 years old - is still in good shape. That model is no longer made, and I got another one half price on Camping Gear & Outdoor Gear - Outerwear & Outdoor Clothing from Campmor.com at some point, but I still use that original one. So for durability you cannot complain.
angangang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Dan, places such as REI and here in Canada Mountain Equipment Co-op sell various sized nesting pots. Some sets are on the small light weight side (for back packers) and others are a bit more heavy duty and larger and work well in the camper. The prices on the sets are wide ranged - IMHO the pricier ones are worth it though as they tend to have a bit thicker bottom for more even cooking and they will last you many many years of camping.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #12

California
Registry
Pie Iron AKA: Jaffle, Jaffee, Pudgie Pies, Mountain Pies, Hobo Pies, Sandwich cookers

Let us not forget the pie iron for cooking on coals! While I do not have one as yet I will be getting one today from Eddie Bauer (also available at REI and many other places.) Be sure to get one made of cast iron. (If it's very heavy and black it is most likely cast iron.) Aluminum ones do not last.
There are tons of recipes online. I just ordered a pie iron recipe book from
www.boondockers-used-sports.com. He has recipes on the website too!
Old 08-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Wok

I bought this wok at Mt. Equip. Co-op and liked it so much that I bought two more, one for the house and one for my daughter. In the trailer I store it in a canvas bag and try really hard to remember not to use metal on the non-stick coating.
Attached Thumbnails
100_1510.jpg   100_1511.jpg  

100_1512.jpg  
Scouter Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita
REI has a nice selection.
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
to bad your not in Canada, Princess Auto has a nice set for $30
Attached Thumbnails
cookware.jpg  
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #16

Name: Stephanie
Trailer: 1989 13 ft Scamp
Kansas
We use our Boy Scout Trail Chef set from 1977-got it for a wedding present that year. Still works great. Oh, and you must have a cast iron dutch oven-just because it's the only way to make peach cobbler, right? )
StephinKickapoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #17

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
As for myself I have one med. size pot,1 SS skilet with lid to match(that can double as a small pot) 8 & 10 in cast iron skilets,hot dog forks and pie irons. If we need more that that the son in law is cooking on the grill & uses throw away foil pans.(because they heat fast & you don't have to clean them up when you finish) If we cook big meals we bring the big pot or slow cooker from home. Most of our meals can be cooked in 2 pots or pans
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #18

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Yeah nesting pots are an attractive idea. I don't have any yet. I would look for a set with pail style handles though and thick bottoms. Pail handles would work well over a campfire. Except for cast iron most other cookware is not that great on a campfire. Anything that works well on a campstove would work in the trailer.
What you get depends on what your cooking style is. I have a 12" titanium skillet and lid with a thick cast body. I like a cast iron frypan as well. I am thinking of bringing a Wok along (steel not non-stick, woks are supposed to get hot and heat destroys non-stick) because they make great stir frys and a fabulous deep fryer with a cup or two of oil. I have a 8 quart stockpot for soups, pasta, blanching and heating hot water manually in larger quantities. I also consider essential a 3 quart saucepan with lid for boiling potatoes or rice and sometimes a 1 quart sauce pan is handy. Overall camping pot sets don't seem to suit my style.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #19

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
On our sailboat I had a lovely set of Cuisinarts pans " a whole set in 1 square foot". They had nice layered copper bottom. Loved those pans but sold them with the boat. I think magna makes a similar set
Better than most home pots and pans
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #20

Trailer: Casita
REI w/photos

Comes with a nice mesh bag. All teflon coated. The lids also serve as frying pans. One handle fits all.
Attached Thumbnails
REIpans1.jpg   REIpans2.jpg  

LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote