Steak on the Cobb - Magic Technique! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #1

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Steak on the Cobb - Magic Technique!

Here's a nifty way to cook a steak. For we Scampers, you might want to freeze the steak at home before you leave. Sometimes that little fridge can't quite hack a hard freeze.

fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
They "stole" that technique from Cooks Illustrated magazine...It came out a few months ago, I know, I subscribe to it.

Plagiarism aside, (this method goes against everything we were always taught about making sure that our steaks were left out for a while to come up to room temperature before cooking,) flies in the face of convention. However, after having skeptically trying it, I have to say that it really does work well. Makes for a nice flavorful sear, (referred to as the "Maillard effect",) on the outside and a moist pink demarcation edge just an eighth of an inch into the meat. The rest is nice and rare and super moist with a gorgeous crust. Just my opinion, but any steak done beyond rare, or at best medium rare, is sacrilege!
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #3

Minnesota
Registry
Other way around. This came out two years ago. I saw that article in my Cook's Magazine and decided to give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #4

Washington
Registry
Really, prior to seeing it in Cooks Illustrated, I had never seen this technique anywhere before. I always thought of CI as being on the "cutting edge." Funny because of the timeliness of the two articles.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #5

Minnesota
Registry

This works really well with pork chops, too. It was a whole article on molecular cooking techniques applicable to the home cook.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #6

Washington
Registry
I would have some reservation as to using this technique with pork. Undercooked pork is not always a good thing. Most pork today is free of trichinosis, which was common years ago, but I would use a bit of caution if it was not USDA approved (i.e home raised) pork. But I love it for a good rib steak.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #7

Minnesota
Registry

145F and you're good to go.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
They "stole" that technique from Cooks Illustrated magazine...It came out a few months ago, I know, I subscribe to it.

Plagiarism aside, (this method goes against everything we were always taught about making sure that our steaks were left out for a while to come up to room temperature before cooking,) flies in the face of convention. However, after having skeptically trying it, I have to say that it really does work well. Makes for a nice flavorful sear, (referred to as the "Maillard effect",) on the outside and a moist pink demarcation edge just an eighth of an inch into the meat. The rest is nice and rare and super moist with a gorgeous crust. Just my opinion, but any steak done beyond rare, or at best medium rare, is sacrilege!
I'm with Greg 130 to 135 F is just right , well maybe just a little overcooked
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #9

Minnesota
Registry
135F for steak is, ummmm, leather. 135F for pork is underdone.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #10

Washington
Registry
I agree with fusedlight on Beef. For me a steak done to 120-125 degrees is perfect. But pork should be cooked to a minimum internal temp of 160 degrees.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #11

Minnesota
Registry
160 is, in my book, overdone for pork chops. Then again, my wife doesn't like pink pork. It's not going to harm you, though, if it is over 145F (USDA guideline). Poultry, on the other hand, needs to hit 160F.