STEEL CUT OATS - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 1985 13 ft Burro
I hate oatmeal. I love steel cut oats however. Try it you will love it. We like the Mc Canns brand best. For toppers, we add pecans ,or rasins , and or brown sugar , maple syup, and or the various coffee mate creamers. No celantro however. Great on a cool camping morning. Enjoy
Al POGUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Much as I love cilantro and put it in almost everything, I have to agree - no cilantro in oats. Another good topper is shredded cocoanut.

They cook really slow in a regular pot - but really really fast in a pressure cooker
One of my favorite breakfasts too!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977 ('Total Eggstacy')
I am not fond of "quick oats" oatmeal. ICKY!! SLIME!!!
If you enjoy steel cut oats, also try Rolled Wheat. You can find it at any healthfood store. Cook the same as steel cut oats, but make sure to salt the water a little and a couple minutes before through cooking add 2 tsp. REAL vanilla extract to the pot. YUMMMMMY!!!!
Jessie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
I am not fond of "quick oats" oatmeal. ICKY!! SLIME!!!
If you enjoy steel cut oats, also try Rolled Wheat. You can find it at any healthfood store. Cook the same as steel cut oats, but make sure to salt the water a little and a couple minutes before through cooking add 2 tsp. REAL vanilla extract to the pot. YUMMMMMY!!!!
I do steel cut oats in the microwave- just cover with water, add raisins (I also like to add chopped up apple) and nuke for a few minutes. Then let sit for a bit. I also really like this mixed grain cereal that they sell at Trader Joes- in an oatmeal-like cardboard "can" but mixed grains. Delicious! I do like oatmeal but only if cooked just right and that seems easier to do with steel cut oats.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
I do like oatmeal with all the toppings. However, I have to agree with my dad on the one-minute and three-minute varieties: "It's library paste!" I always take the instant flavored oatmeal camping to eat in a styrofoam cup--always have. It takes good it the great outdoors!

Quote:
I do steel cut oats in the microwave- just cover with water, add raisins (I also like to add chopped up apple) and nuke for a few minutes. Then let sit for a bit. I also really like this mixed grain cereal that they sell at Trader Joes- in an oatmeal-like cardboard "can" but mixed grains. Delicious! I do like oatmeal but only if cooked just right and that seems easier to do with steel cut oats.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Choppin' fruit and nuts and addin' to oatmeal still doesn't hide them "LUMPS"!!! But on the other hand it needs to be thick enough to scrub the "Co less tour all" out of your veins
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
What is this? I'm a teacher and I don't proofread my own writing! I meant to say, "IT TASTES GOOD IN the great outdoors!" Part of my problem is I don't wear my glasses at the computer and I can't see the tiny font. Maybe I should enlarge it when I type...

Quote:
I do like oatmeal with all the toppings. However, I have to agree with my dad on the one-minute and three-minute varieties: "It's library paste!" I always take the instant flavored oatmeal camping to eat in a styrofoam cup--always have. It takes good it the great outdoors!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote