Stovetop oven cooking. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #21

Name: Judy
Trailer: 13' Scamp "La Cucaracha"
Texas
Spare ovenette?

Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
A modern version of the old West Bend Ovenette, which work beautifully on a propane cook stove or an electric hot plate. I have a couple of spares in case anyone is looking for one.
Just got my trailer (13' Scamp) a few weeks ago, and an oven is what I think I'll miss the most. What are you asking for a spare Ovenette (if you still have one)? You may private message me if you'd prefer ~ then, I'll try to find my inbox again...haha.

Happy trails!
Old 08-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #22

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
[QUOTE=JC_In_Austin;655104]Just got my trailer (13' Scamp) a few weeks ago, and an oven is what I think I'll miss the most. What are you asking for a spare Ovenette (if you still have one)? You may private message me if you'd prefer ~ then, I'll try to find my inbox again...haha.

I'll let you know in September if I have a spare ovenette for sale. Folks have spoken for the ones in my inventory.

Meanwhile, keep an eye on Ebay. They pop up from time to time.

Peg
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:55 PM   #23

Texas
[QUOTE=herons;655108]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_In_Austin View Post
Just got my trailer (13' Scamp) a few weeks ago, and an oven is what I think I'll miss the most. What are you asking for a spare Ovenette (if you still have one)? You may private message me if you'd prefer ~ then, I'll try to find my inbox again...haha.

I'll let you know in September if I have a spare ovenette for sale. Folks have spoken for the ones in my inventory.

Meanwhile, keep an eye on Ebay. They pop up from time to time.

Peg
Thanks; I believe I've found one!
Old 08-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #24

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I've been experimenting with baking in the small propane bbq we take along. I made cupcakes first - heated the bbq, used paper cases in the metal cupcake pan. They burned on the bottom but they all got eaten anyway. Tried again (actually 16 year old grandude tried) with great success. He put the stainless steel vegetable basket in the heated bbq with the cakes on top. This lifted the baking higher from the flames. His final batch used up a wee bit of leftover cherry pie filling from the previous night's bush pies. He put some dough in the paper case, then a small dollop of pie filling, and topped up with some more cake dough. Excellent.

Later in the week he made scones (baking powder biscuits, bannock, not sure which is the best description!) using the same method to lift the baking up from the flames. We have some cast iron we can use as a cookie sheet.

The other thing we did was to roast some meat - pork sirloin the first time and beef the second time (not sure what cut it was.) The pieces were between four and five pounds each. Both turned out very well -juicy and tender. The Yorkshire puddings were a flop - will have to do some more thinking about how to make those!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:45 AM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
I've been experimenting with baking in the small propane bbq we take along. I made cupcakes first - heated the bbq, used paper cases in the metal cupcake pan. They burned on the bottom but they all got eaten anyway. Tried again (actually 16 year old grandude tried) with great success. He put the stainless steel vegetable basket in the heated bbq with the cakes on top. This lifted the baking higher from the flames. His final batch used up a wee bit of leftover cherry pie filling from the previous night's bush pies. He put some dough in the paper case, then a small dollop of pie filling, and topped up with some more cake dough. Excellent.

Later in the week he made scones (baking powder biscuits, bannock, not sure which is the best description!) using the same method to lift the baking up from the flames. We have some cast iron we can use as a cookie sheet.

The other thing we did was to roast some meat - pork sirloin the first time and beef the second time (not sure what cut it was.) The pieces were between four and five pounds each. Both turned out very well -juicy and tender. The Yorkshire puddings were a flop - will have to do some more thinking about how to make those!
You guys are eating way too good to be camping, a can of beans and a burn't hot dog would be my choice....
Old 08-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #26

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Been there - done that. After several weeks it got boring! Tried adding some variety by toasting marshmallows instead but several people in the group threw up before feeling full.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:18 AM   #27

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You guys are eating way too good to be camping, a can of beans and a burn't hot dog would be my choice....
X 10 on that. The only time in over 30 years that I've used the oven in an RV was when the house power went off and the meatloaf was only half done.....RV to the rescue .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #28

Texas
Haha. I've had my trailer for a month, taken it out twice , and used the toaster oven both times!
Old 10-27-2017, 08:52 AM   #29

Trailer: 75 Scamp 13 ft
PEG! I found you! Ovenettes Rule!
Lydia W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #30

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
I didn't know I was lost!
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:58 AM   #31

HaHa...You're a funny one! I'm still looking for Audrey on FGRV!
Old 10-31-2017, 04:35 AM   #32

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I've used the Coleman folding oven in the Casita to make muffins. The muffins didn't come out too well and the top of the oven was so close to the range hood it melted the fan into the grease catcher and it also melted the outside vent and the "flapper" mechanism in the vent. You probably wouldn't be surprised to hear that the repair parts cost almost as much as the total package.

The Coleman box says to use the oven outside and I guess I found at least one reason why.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:39 AM   #33

Sorry to hear that, Steve. I have and old West Bend Ovenette and have baked Blueberry Muffins in it on my stove inside my 13' Scamp - no damage. It made the camper nice and warm - plus it smelled marvelous. Several ladies that I camp with have them as well and have made pork roast, cinnamon buns, pineapple upside down cakes, baked dips, and even enchiladas. It's a shame they don't manufacture Ovenettes any more...they're amazing! If you can get your hands on one, it's well worth it.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:18 AM   #34

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
ovenite

is the Ovenite el. fired?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:23 AM   #35

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The concept of stovetop baking without burning is pretty simple. Whis is needed is a layer of air separating the inner pan and the outer pan. So basically you can put a pot inside of a pot but use a spacer of some kind between the bottoms of them. It could be a wire rack that raises the inner pan a small amount.

You can buy baking pans that are made with a double wall structure with a built in air layer. They sell them as pans for making cake, bread, etc and you find them in the better kitchen specialty stores. Their intent of design is to prevent a burned bottom on the baked goods. Put a lid over them and you will have a little stovetop oven for cakes and biscuits. But do allow for some steam venting by leaving a small gap on the seating of the lid. Unless of course you want a steam bake.

So no need to hunt up a vintage product or order expensive units. You can make your own from some nesting posts and a little wire rack. You can even make a support structure to put between pots by bending around some of the strips of hobby metal either stainless or aluminum. A quarter inch wide strip will give you enough elevation for the air gap. Just zig zag the strip back and forth to create the support. It does not have to be pretty as long as it is functional

Always good to analyze products and think...how and why does that work? In this case it is the air gap that is keeping things from burning on the bottom and sides which makes it possible for a bake rather than a fry up.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:23 AM   #36

The Ovenette is placed directly on the stovetop burner and has a thermometer (approximate) on top so you can regulate "oven" temperature.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:29 AM   #37

Missouri
wow

thanks for the post neat idea. I want one!!

bob
Old 10-31-2017, 06:33 AM   #38

Missouri
found one

well I just checked ebay someone must be reading these posts they just listed one. 80bux please!

found one on etsy for 33.00 don't know if its a good post or not

bob
Old 10-31-2017, 06:39 AM   #39

Missouri
just thunkin

Lydia how about an old fashioned dutch oven? I think you could mount a thermometer on top and have the same thing?

while in Alaska one time we saw a woman making busquits using one by the way.

bob
Old 10-31-2017, 06:42 AM   #40

Missouri
steve I bought one of those ovens haven't used it yet sort of let the wifey relax too on travels so we don't cook much. I have a feeling this isn't a fire up and leave set-up lots of watching since the stove has no regulation to it!

bob