Stovetop oven cooking. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Ginger
Trailer: Oliver
Texas
Stovetop oven cooking.

Hi, I am new here but am having a great time camping for the first time in my life. Just took delivery of an Oliver last week and getting used to all the systems on it. I wanted to share that I came across a stovetop oven a few months ago and I love it. I didn't know if others have used it. The brand name is Omnia. It is such a unique way of cooking and I like it so much I use it at home too. You can google it to find out more about how it works. For campers with small units that don't have an oven it can do the job of baking just like an oven. I make all kinds of things in my oven. I have made biscuits, cinnamon rolls, lasagna, peach cobbler, meatloaf, sweet potatoes, baked potatoes, yeast bread, egg casseroles, and a few other things. I just wanted to share this with those on this forum. If I can answer any questions about how to use this oven, I will be happy to try to answer. I am excited to be a part of this forum, and look forward to learning from all of you as cooking in a camper is still pretty new to me.
gingery56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Welcome to the forum.

It kinda looks like a Bundt pan with a lid...

Probably could do all that and more in a regular deep pot with a false bottom and a lid, but with more usable cooking area. Just my observation. Enjoy your new trailer.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:03 AM   #3

Name: annell
Trailer: Scamp
New Mexico
What is a stove top oven? Is there a brand?
annell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Stove Top oven

I've used the Coleman stove top oven many times. You can use metal cake pans or small cookie sheets, etc. The neat thing is that it folds down when not in use, saving space. Widely available at Walmart, Amazon, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...+stovetop+oven

Best,
Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #5

Name: Jeanne
Trailer: In the market
Arizona
Wink Stovetop ovens

We have a Coleman Stovetop oven we we bought along with our tent, stove, sleeping bags, and so on, back the summer we were married in 1965. I used the oven a lot but never thought of using in a camper. Our oven is brown and battered but otherwise looks just like the one in the Amazon ad.

Our tent and sleeping bags have moved on to another life, but we still have most of the other camping gear.

Happy baking.
Jeanne
Jacques in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
There are some Omnia oven posts on YouTube, but most are in Swedish or German.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Texas
Brand of stovetop oven.

It is an Omnia oven. There is quite a bit of information if you google it.

I'm sorry I was on the road all day w/o internet access. The Omnia was engineered especially for stovetop cooking in Sweden. They are manufactured in China. You can see a lot of information at http://omniasweden.com. I have some nice photos, but don't know how to post them here.
I have purchased two Omnia ovens so I have one at home and one on the road. So far I have been able to make just about anything I can do in my oven at home. It is lightweight, compact and I use a thermometer with it so I know how hot it is inside the oven. Recently, the company has come out with a silicone liner which means no clean up. I love my ovens.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:34 PM   #8

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
A modern version of the old West Bend Ovenette, which work beautifully on a propane cook stove or an electric hot plate. I have a couple of spares in case anyone is looking for one.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #9

Name: Jan
Trailer: 1998 17' Burro
Arizona
I haven't looked it up but I would be interested in a West Bend Ovenette. Do you use them?
Thanks-Jan
janallanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:18 PM   #10

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
I bake with an ovenette on the road. It has a thermostat and is quite handy. Warming rolls, making quiche, etc. etc.You can make muffins, meatloaf, virtually anything that you can do in an oven.

Google West Bend (or Stanley) ovenette and look at the images. Deceivingly simple.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:50 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Texas
Tom, you can find a lot of information in English on Facebook & by googling Omnia Stovetop ovens. I like your video. It does a good job of showing how the oven works and how it's engiineered.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:08 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by annell View Post
What is a stove top oven? Is there a brand?
Annell, The brand is Omnia. You can find information by googling or searching on Facebook. The key is to search using terms Omnia & stovetop oven. I have two and woldln't take for them. I have solar ovens which I like but too difficult to use on the road in most cases.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #13

Name: Jan
Trailer: 1998 17' Burro
Arizona
Good morning. I did check out the Ovenette. Quite ingenious. If you would sell one, please pm me.
Thanks-Jan
janallanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:54 PM   #14

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
When we had the Casita I baked in the Omnia all the time. I really liked it. My daughter in law called 'dibs' on it when we bought the Escape with an oven (they have a 13' Scamp). Nice to hear they have the silicone liner, I'll let her know. I also liked the Cobb for baking (and still do). Cobb Grill America

Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:17 AM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
We do all of our baking in a Weber Q100, usually by preheating it on high for 10 minutes, then putting in whatever is being baked for the amount of time specified on the package. We have done brownies, cookies, and muffins. We have also done meatloaf, which we check a few times while it is cooking. Using the grill eliminates an additional item(s) to carry and store, especially when we can get the same results as any other oven or device that mimics an oven.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:30 AM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have been cooking with the Cobb for over 5 years, getting low on their briquettes though...
Old 04-10-2017, 06:37 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Texas
That is an interesting approach. I would not have thought of a Weber grill to bake with....I am trying various things that people are talking about for baking and am having a lot of fun. I still like my Omnia best. I think because it was engineered for baking and it's very small and lightweight to carry. We have a Char King grill for grilling, but I don't think it would bake.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:41 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Texas
I prefer gas cooking, but I could see where the Cobb would be nice if you don't mind carrying and using charcoal as many people prefer cooking with it.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #19

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
We do all of our baking in a Weber Q100, usually by preheating it on high for 10 minutes, then putting in whatever is being baked for the amount of time specified on the package. We have done brownies, cookies, and muffins. We have also done meatloaf, which we check a few times while it is cooking. Using the grill eliminates an additional item(s) to carry and store, especially when we can get the same results as any other oven or device that mimics an oven.
We usually have the Q100 with us. What is your secret? I tried gingerbead and burnt the bottom so I haven't tried baking on it again....

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:29 AM   #20

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
We usually have the Q100 with us. What is your secret? I tried gingerbead and burnt the bottom so I haven't tried baking on it again....

I believe I stated it. I get the Q100 preheated on high and then bake it for the time stated on the package. I have checked things when 75% of the stated time has passed, but we have been very successful with the grill. I did, however, install a grill thermometer on my Q100 so I can keep the temperature in line with package instructions. Thermometer was purchased at Lowe's. Hardest part was determining where to drill hole in the front of the lid so that the stem of the thermometer would not contact the lid in another location as spacing is somewhat "tight."