Suz' Stovetop Biscuits - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2005, 08:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
Suz posted this a while back and it's just too darned good to lose. I did it by the instructions and the biscuits turned out great the first try, even without the heat diffuser. (Sorry the picture is crummy but I copied it out of a Word Document that I saved the reciped into. I couldn't figure out how to clean it up any.)

Suz wrote:
Quote:
This is not my original recipe, but one I adapted from a South Texas Junior League Cookbook, Fiesta, page 242.
First of all, don't give up. Keep experimenting and you will get the hang of it. It took me a while. I've had them burned, raw, flat, etc, but time and practice will get you there. Also, if you are wanting to do a healthier version, I used white whole wheat flour on one batch on this last trip. It worked pretty good. They weren't the pretty white, but they were good and, I felt, healthier. I'm afraid that standard whole wheat flour would be too bitter and heavy. I'd work on the technique with regular flour until you get the hang of it, then branch out.
Also, I used my finally found heat diffuser for the first time on this trip. It was a tremendous asset and the biscuits browned perfectly. Plus, it allowed me to have a slightly higher flame so there wasn't a danger of it blowing out., Remember, this is not a "put it in the oven, set the timer, and forget it." It does take a little attention. The times are approximate just to give you an idea. I believe the ones this trip took about 45 (or more) minutes total. It could take longer as it is better to cook them too slowly than too fast.
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (I use less)
3/4 tablespoon sugar (orig recipe called for 1 T)
1 tablespoon Crisco butter flavor shortening stick that has been refrigerated
Milk (I have used canned or powdered if it was all I had, but fresh tastes best and it is what I recommend.)

Put 8" iron skillet on burner with low fire to preheat. If you have a heat diffuser, use it. It really helps. Mix all dry ingredients. Use a fork (or any method) to cut the shortening into the dry ingredients. Add enough milk to make a stiff but sticky dough. Cut into four equal parts. Put a tiny bit of oil in the bottom of the skillet and even out. Place one section of dough onto your floured hand. Pat into the shape of a biscuit. Put into the pan. Repeat until four biscuits are in the pan. Cover and cook until set and start to brown on the bottom. This will take between 15 and 25 minutes. Flip the biscuits over in skillet and continue cooking. When they start to brown (probably about 10 - 15 minutes), take the lid off and flip again. Once you feel they are done, remove the lid and continue to cook and flip until they are very crispy and you are ready to eat.
Technique and temperature are the two keys to successful biscuits. You could probably even use Bisquick if you wanted. That is what I used when I back packed.

The original recipe called for regular shortening. I found that refrigerated Crisco butter flavored sticks work better for me.

If you want to try them in the oven at home, you can roll out on a floured board to 1/2 to 3/4 inch thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter or glass. Bake in preheated 400* oven for about 15 minutes.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2005, 08:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
Heat diffuser. (Another crummy picture for the same reason.)
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2005, 11:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Dave, thanks for the re-post of the biscuit recipe and of course thanks to Suz for the original. I actually bought a cheap, made in China, 7" cast iron skillet to try this method of cooking biscuits. I found an old Club aluminum lid at Goodwill that fits the skillet. I have been very pleased with how well this method works. It also produces good biscuits with Bisquick. Thanks again. Tom Trostel