Take away Hot Dogs - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #1

Trailer: 1992 13.5 ft Bigfoot
Hot Dogs in a Thermos

If you are going on a hike or a long drive and want instant lunch, try this. Boil some water in the morning. Fill a Thermos with hot dog wieners and pour boiling water over them. Close the lid tightly. Spread the buns with mustard/ketchup/relish (relish may make it a bit soggy) or supply with those little paks and wrap up. Pack your thermos away till lunch time. Be very careful when opening the lid of the thermos. SAFETY COUNTS HERE. Pour out the water making sure not to lose the dogs. Add them to the prepared bun and voila! - instant dogs!! This is great for hiking, long distance drives, picnics where you can't BBQ but want hot dogs. # of dogs depends on size and how many thermos' used.
Note: I used to send my boys to school with this lunch and they loved the idea. Depending on how old your kids are, you will have to remind them to be careful when opening the thermos. Better yet, send a note to their teacher asking them to open up the thermos and dump out the water for your child. It WILL BE HOT!! ENJOY!!
Karen

Old 03-28-2009, 06:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Karen
.....this idea sounds O.K. but for my liking, I'd think any dogs soaked in water THAT length of time might tend to make them (the weiners) too soggy for my liking.

Do you think if you preheated the thermos with boiling water, precooked the weiners, then dumped the water and quickly added the weiners, sealed (closed) the lid and wrapped the thermos as you mentioned might solve the 'soggy dog' issue? This way it might also preclude the warning about opening the hot water thermos too?!

Old 03-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #3

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I like that adaption too Doug. The only way I can tolerate hot dogs is fried/broiled/roasted, I can't quite stomach them boiled, so this would be an idea. I am sure the boiled ones would be a big hit with kids though, I know mine used to eat them like that before they grew up.

Especially when on canoe, or backcountry ski trips, I often make up something to put in a thermos to have quickly without having to break out a stove. Soups, chilli, Sloppy Joe mix, pulled pork, and stews are just some of the things I take. They can even be nice on a road trip where you are eating on the go.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #4

Registry
RAW is a great way to eat these beasts, being sure to peel back that skin IF so endowed!!!

Supper here last night consisted of a Grande sized can (used only helf, saving remaining for 'another fette') with half a doz 'dorks' as they are jokingly called by 'rodder types' and a fair dose of garlic powder (NOT salt), a whopping tablespoonful of chilli flakes, a jigger of 'Professor Phardtpounders 'Colon Cleaner Hot Sause", the elixer of capsaicin extremus, topped with 1/2 a Walla Walla Sweet and garnished with a hearty serving of freshly grated habanero flavored cheeze.

The weenies, speaking of the MEAT Of the Gods, I sliced them into about 3/4 inch slices cut on the bias and used a fancy-schmancy slicer that the Trailer Goddess uses for fancy slicing carrots.... Couldn't figure out what that CLOUD was around the bed in the morning!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 07:07 AM   #5

Doug, The wieners don't really go soggy, they just plump up. They are raw when they go into the thermos and it is the boiling water that cooks them over the time. It is the bun that gets soggy from the juice of the relish. We haven't had a problem with the mustard & ketchup but the relish is what does it to the bun. Believe me...I'm not big on boiled wieners either but my kids loved this idea and asked for these at least once a week when they were young. We've done the hiking thing with them and they turned out great for a quick lunch. I have never tried to make this any other way so if you try your idea, let me know. I'm a BBQ kind a girl when it comes to hot dogs and even then, they usually aren't my first choice. Have you ever cooked a whole fish in the dishwasher??
Old 03-29-2009, 07:56 AM   #6

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
RAW is a great way to eat these beasts, being sure to peel back that skin IF so endowed!!!
*silently hoping this is not Doug's contribution to the potluck in May*
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-29-2009, 07:56 AM   #7

Alberta
Registry

Quote:
Have you ever cooked a whole fish in the dishwasher?? ask.gif
I have heard of that Karen. Is is just wrapped in foil with fixiin's, then placed in the running dishwasher? I know fish cooks with minimal heat, and many dishwashers heat can be quite hot.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
*silently hoping this is not Doug's contribution to the potluck in May*
Jim, it looks like the May meet MAY just be your lucky day, ...that day in May!!
The Trailer Goddess, myself and many others opt NOT to partake of the potluck. Instead, we 'order in' right to our site(s) from a local Italian restaurant. Usually delivered hot within 20 minutes. We do this to help make clean up just a l'il easier that Saturday night (no cookin mess to clean up and IF you order pizza, its finger food, so no cutlery clean up involved either. Your call which ever way you plan to go that night!!

BTW!!! The potluck has ALWAYS turned out GREAT, no complaints from any of the hungry Eggers!!!

Cooking tip:
Flip meats only once and do not compress the food while cooking, not like our l'il smiley faced chef here...
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #9

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...What's a hot dog weiner... bologna only smaller???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 03-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
Jim, it looks like the May meet MAY just be your lucky day, ...that day in May!!
The Trailer Goddess, myself and many others opt NOT to partake of the potluck. Instead, we 'order in' right to our site(s) from a local Italian restaurant. Usually delivered hot within 20 minutes. We do this to help make clean up just a l'il easier that Saturday night (no cookin mess to clean up and IF you order pizza, its finger food, so no cutlery clean up involved either. Your call which ever way you plan to go that night!!

BTW!!! The potluck has ALWAYS turned out GREAT, no complaints from any of the hungry Eggers!!!

Cooking tip:
Flip meats only once and do not compress the food while cooking, not like our l'il smiley faced chef here...
May or June? BTW Doug, our condolences to the Trailer Goddess on the hot dog thing..!
Old 03-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Hi: All...What's a hot dog weiner... bologna only smaller???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf... would you boil the bologna before ya made a peanut butter n bologny sanni ....???

Mike >>> May in B.C. June in WA.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:06 PM   #12

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Alf... would you boil the bologna before ya made a peanut butter n bologny sanni ....???
You would put mustard and pickles on that, right?
Old 03-30-2009, 03:51 PM   #13

This is a great idea.

Of course, did you know that you can cook rice this way too? So if you're hankering for hot rice while on the road that'll work too
Old 04-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #14

Jim, I have never tried the dishwasher fish, it was mentioned in an old cottage cook book that I had but I believe that...yes, you do dress the fish then wrap and secure it really good in tinfoil. Put it in the top rack of the dishwasher - (without soap or Rinse ajent of course - that would be a ) and put it on for a shorter cycle.

If you try it..let us know if it works for you. I just filled my dishwasher up with Jet Dry last week so I have a few more weeks to go before I can even contemplate it..if I do. Hubby not really that big on fish but who knows?

As far as the rice in the thermos, I never thought of that. Oh, how I love this site. So many great ideas.