I have adapted several recipes for baked sweet potatoes into one favorite.
Usually I just wing it, so the following is my approximation of the 'official recipe'.
**WARNING** NOT low calorie, low fat, low sugar or low anything...
Combine the following in a small pot:
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (plain, UNSWEETENED cranberries, NOT Craisins - could probably use fresh berries also)
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3/4 cup apple juice (I used Sunripe Apple, Orange and Passionfruit blend this time)
- pinch salt
Simmer until reduced to a light
syrup, stirring frequently.
Take off heat then add:
- 1 finely minced green onion (white and green parts) and set aside.
Peel and cube 5 pounds yams (red skinned sweet potatoes)
Boil until fork tender, drain well, set aside.
In large bowl beat the following together until frothy:
- 4 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp maple syrup (the good stuff)
- 1.5 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
Add the first mixture to this and beat well (recommend a Braun type hand blender so the cranberries and onion puree)
Add the drained potatoes and beat again with the hand blender, or mash together if you prefer.
Put mixture into a greased 9"x13" dish.
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup (packed) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
Chop cold butter into small pieces, mix all ingredients together. Sprinkle over the potatoes.
Bake at 350 F for 1 hour (I did it in the Bigfoot
oven, but maybe this could be adapted to be cooked in a Dutch Oven)
Great for Thanksgiving and the holidays!