Turkey US 38 Cents a Pound - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2002, 05:30 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Turkey US 38 Cents a Pound

Ok, so getting close to the US Thanksgiving Holiday ... I know all my Canadian friends already celebrated theirs ... so this is old news to them ... but I love turkey!

In fact, I usually purchase 5 or 6 of the big birds, when they are cheap around Thanksfgiving, and we cook them every other month or so.

We then cut up the turkey meat and freeze them into little sandwich bag sized portions ... which are perfect size to take in the trailer. And we usually travel down the road with two or more bags.

Thaw the little bag of turkey out in the refrigerator to help keep things cool ... then throw the meat into a small crock pot with a can of cream of chicken soup ... and you have a meal, with a loaf of french bread, some carrots and celery.

Yum yum.

Since turkey's on sale, now's the time to fill your freezer.

Lowest price here is 38 US cents ... but I had to spend US$ 25 to get that price.

Pam made me a shopping list today ... and when the total reached $25, I quit shopping and checked out, with the largest turkey I could find ... 22.1 pounds (10 kg ).

Later in the week, I'll go back for another.

So what's turkey selling for in your neck of the woods?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 07:17 PM   #2

Turkey

In my wing, it's US$0.69. :o

Old 11-18-2002, 06:20 AM   #3

Alright Morgan

Alright, with Morgan's wing and a prayer, it's US$ .69 a pound

I've given you the leg up on prices in Illinois

Still waiting for the rest of you to post the facts for your neck of the woods.

Or don't you like turkey????

Old 11-18-2002, 06:26 AM   #4

Charles
Here up north about 0.90 Cents Cdn when its on sale. So comparable to your Costs PS I don't like turkey:zz

Old 11-18-2002, 06:39 AM   #5

Hi Ches

>> 90 cents cdn

Is that per kilo ... or per pound?

And Ches, most people overcook turkey, so the white meat is dry.

I've kept a log of all the turkeys I've cooked (my job to cook the turkey) over the past 15 years or so ... weight/brand/time cooked/results.

I guarantee if you have a thick slice of my moist white meat, over smashed potatoes and stuffing (externally cooked), smothered in gravy ... you'd like it!

And the little bags of frozen turkey meat (which you could probably store outside in Fernie!) make for an easy camping meal.

Old 11-18-2002, 06:46 AM   #6

Charles
Thats 0.90 Per pound according to my wife and I don't argue with her about what things cost:) I think my delemia with turkey stems back from my army days. You probably know what I mean. I like stuffing, gravey. cranberry sauce. Damm you ,you got me hungry:hap2

PS where I work we give 1.40 Cdn for 1.00 us, Bank is about 1.51.

Old 11-18-2002, 06:49 AM   #7

turkey

$.69 /lb two week ago here in OK. haven't looked lately, and don't take the paper. But as my Turkeyday family gathering just grew in number, I'll have to go find another one. Had 27 live ones go across the 'backyard' a while back, but I'd have to pluck one of those if, and I repeat, if I could catch one.

Old 11-18-2002, 06:54 AM   #8

Not bad

City Market. Butterball. Flat $9 for 16-24 lbs., with C.M. card, no other purchase required although we stocked up for the week. That's about 39 cents/lb. for the big one we got. (Jenni-O brand was also available for $5, or about .25 for a 20 lb. bird.)

B.t.w., when traveling this summer, we used Charles' idea to pick up "value cards" at the supermarkets and keep them in the rig. We found that various chains are owned by the same holding company, for instance City Market, Krogers and Ralphs. Sometimes the value cards are interchangeable. Then, it was interesting that Ralphs won't honor a City Market card, but City Market will honor a Ralphs card--go figure. I hate to carry the cards, but sometimes (locally at least) the savings are substantial.

Hey Ches, I know that Canada's Thanksgiving is earlier in the season. Is there a the traditional meal for that holiday?

Old 11-18-2002, 06:57 AM   #9

George
Yes sir ,same as yours. Other than politics we all do the same things.:)

Old 11-18-2002, 06:58 AM   #10

Turkey enchiladas

And by the end of the week, we'll finish off the turkey with enchiladas. My they're good, and easy to make.

Old 11-18-2002, 07:10 AM   #11

Turkey enchiladas

As this is the recipe part of the forum, George, where is the recipe for turkey enchiladas?

Old 11-18-2002, 07:16 AM   #12

Sausa Enchilada

Jana:
Its on the label on the Enchilada Sauce can!:winky

Old 11-18-2002, 08:59 AM   #13

Pam and I

We'll have everyone here for Thanksgiving too ... and will consume most of the turkey ... which is why I buy 5 or 6 turkeys when they are cheap.

Pam and I will often cook a 20 pound turkey for just the two of us.

House smells just as good as it does at Thanksgiving ... but we have a lot more leftovers.

After she and I eat our fill, we'll make a little assembly line ... cutting all the leftover meat into little bite sized chunks ... and Pam putting a couple of handfuls (because her hands are always clean) into zip lock sandwich bags for the freezer.

George ... you've given me a great idea .... A can of enchilada sauce and a frozen bag of cut-up turkey, warmed up in the trailer .... a southwestern twist on my turkey and can of chicken soup meal.

Buy those turkeys while they are cheap folks ... store that leftover meat in the freezer. Think of all the quick, easy, one pot camping meals you're making!

Old 11-21-2002, 02:45 PM   #14

Turkey, 9 cents! (US)

Austin, Texas-- With minimum purchase of $25, turkey price plummets to $0.09 per pound. That's $1.98 for a 22 lb. bird.

(Since I said Austin, Texas, do I have to do the money and weight exchanges?)
:cblob

Old 11-21-2002, 03:09 PM   #15

Texas

In my opinion:yep
yes you do Mary, because you know Texas is another country and everyting is bigger. so a Texas lb could be two or three lbs in Oklahoma. or that's what the last Texan I met told me :colors he also sold me a very nice bridge out in California but i haven't got to go and see it yet.

Old 11-21-2002, 03:28 PM   #16

Here's a stab at it

Here's a stab at it

$0.14 (CAD) per lb. or $0.06 (CAD) per Kg.

$3.12 (CAD) for a 48.4 Kg. turkey...

:reye2

Old 11-22-2002, 02:48 PM   #17

Turkey prices

I have no idea where you guys and gals get prices like that.

The last couple of birds I bought (Grade A - not Utility!) averaged about 40.00 for a 20 pounder. I could be off by about 25 percent but I can assure you that I have not been able to buy a turkey for 38 cents a pound - ever!

It's a known fact that turkeys are cheaper down south. I always figured it was because you all only eat it at Thanksgiving and Christmas whereas I will also cook one in February or March when my stomach growls for white meat.

P.S. for those of you who have never tried this:

5lbs of spuds + 1 package of philidelphia cream cheese + 1 cup of sour cream + teaspoon of garlic powder + parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. Make your mashed potatoes the night before and reheat on turkey day.

(I whipped up 15 pounds of spuds last month!) :wub

Old 11-22-2002, 02:50 PM   #18

Mary

1 kilogram is 2.21 pounds, therefore 38 cents per pound is 84 cents per kilogram

Old 11-22-2002, 06:18 PM   #19

Rick

The turkey my mother bought was $.09 cents a pound. My math was based on 9 cents for 22 lbs.

I bought a turkey today that was free. They threw it in with the spiral sliced ham. (The ham was expensive, though, at $2.99/lb.)

Old 12-01-2002, 01:02 AM   #20

At Safeway in Washington, small turkeys (under 12 lbs) were 0.39 USD per US lb, and over that were something like 0.25 USD per US lb, so the RatLadies and I enjoyed a 9.75 lber for about 3.80 USD. We shared it with my friend's cats and dog (separate feedings, of course), and fed the organs and bones to the gulls and crabs. I refilled the squirrel feeder, so the squirrels and chipmunks were also feasting.

Pete and Rats