Using a microwave?! = NOT real... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-19-2011, 05:17 AM   #15

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Bobby,

I am right there with you! Hubby usually cooks meat on Coleman while I microwave the veggies.
Campfire smoke does not sit well with me. If I have one too close, I usually spend the time in the trailer. Last year, some idiot started his fire right next to our propane tank. He was a tent camper, one that I assume was new at it. His wife did not leave their car much. She did not have a happy expression.

We use our UHaul to see the sights. We park it and visit local sights. Hence, Howie, the Uhaul for Hotel on Wheels.

CindyL

Old 05-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #16

Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Registry
Don't forget the corn-on-the-cob in tinfoil with butter.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #17

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Corn-on-the-cob with husks on -soak in water (15 min) then cook with husks on. YUM
How To Grill Corn, Grilling Corn on the Cob, How To Grill Corn On The Cob, Grilled Corn on the Cob, Grilling Corn, Grilled Corn Recipes
Old 05-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha_gurl View Post
I'm sorry, but to me "camping" means cooking over a fire...where are those recipies at? You know, the potatoes/sausage/carrots with butter and seasonings in tin foil over the fire...there's gotta me way more fire recipies, care to share?
Hi Maggie
Here's a cleanup tip my brother-in-law taught me:
Before you put any pot etc, over the fire, coat the outside with liquid dish soap.
It doesn't make any fumes, and you'll be able to wash the carbon etc off very easily in plain water.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #19

Name: Maggie
Trailer: 1978 Boler 13'
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi Maggie
Here's a cleanup tip my brother-in-law taught me:
Before you put any pot etc, over the fire, coat the outside with liquid dish soap.
It doesn't make any fumes, and you'll be able to wash the carbon etc off very easily in plain water.

Francesca

That's a great tip! I've also heard about lining a dutch oven with tin foil...easier clean-up
Old 05-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #20

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
I've heard of people loading the pie cooker up with bread and then peanut butter, jelly and bananas. What an oooey goooey Elvis trip that is!!
Old 05-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #21

Name: Marsha
Trailer: Oliver
Michigan
Registry
When we were kids and went camping we also used pie filling between the bread to make - you guess it - PIES! Yummo. I think I've seen recipes for the pie irons, there may even be someone who wrote a cookbook about it.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #22

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Cooking over a fire is often not possible because of fire bans. It's often considered best to use a small gas or butane stove even for backpackers. There's several ways to make great meals using a single burner stove. One with a thing called a "Bakepacker".
Here's one of my favorite recipes. Bisquick, shredded jerky flavor of your choice, dried gravy mix. Put 1 to 1.5 cups of Bisquick in a baggy, (not zipper closing). add the rest, than add water slightly less than the Bisquick package recommends. Mix well. Place bag on top of Bakepacker, put Bakepacker in pot with about 1" of water in the bottom. Fold top of baggy over. Place lid on pot. Bring to boil and reduce heat to keep the water at a low boil for about 25 minutes. Remove baggie and open cut biscuit into finger food size. enjoy.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #23

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
That is a pretty neat Gizmo! Looks great for making cornbread, bisquits etc esp when the weather is bad and you want something "breadlike" with your soup inside the trailer. It's on my wishlist now. Thanks for posting this, it's pretty cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Cooking over a fire is often not possible because of fire bans. It's often considered best to use a small gas or butane stove even for backpackers. There's several ways to make great meals using a single burner stove. One with a thing called a "Bakepacker".
Here's one of my favorite recipes. Bisquick, shredded jerky flavor of your choice, dried gravy mix. Put 1 to 1.5 cups of Bisquick in a baggy, (not zipper closing). add the rest, than add water slightly less than the Bisquick package recommends. Mix well. Place bag on top of Bakepacker, put Bakepacker in pot with about 1" of water in the bottom. Fold top of baggy over. Place lid on pot. Bring to boil and reduce heat to keep the water at a low boil for about 25 minutes. Remove baggie and open cut biscuit into finger food size. enjoy.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:40 AM   #24

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
That is a pretty neat Gizmo! Looks great for making cornbread, bisquits etc esp when the weather is bad and you want something "breadlike" with your soup inside the trailer. It's on my wishlist now. Thanks for posting this, it's pretty cool!

Cornbread cooks nicely in the backpacker. I've cooked fish in it too. The only thing that gave me trouble was brownies.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Cornbread cooks nicely in the backpacker. I've cooked fish in it too. The only thing that gave me trouble was brownies.
Apparantly the amount of shortening in brownies prevents them from cooking properly.

Norm
Old 06-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #26

Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
One of my favorite cooking methods is wrapping ingredients in aluminum foil and steaming the contents. This works great for fish with lemon. If I have herbs to include, better. I usually wrap the veggies separately. It doesn't give you the smoke flavor but a heck of a meal anyway.The veggies tend to take longer than the fish.
Barrie
Old 06-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Crock Pots and Bakepackers

We've considered buying a bakepacker, a device that lets you bake in a Scamp. In researching it I came across a couple of articles on people who use their crock pots to bake bread. Has anyone done this?

Crock Pot baking bread site below.

Recipenet "The crock pot: an alternative bread machine"

A recipe
RecipeNet "Couldn't Be Easier Slow Cooker Bread"

Norm
Old 06-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #28

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Well, most nights I microwave ... frozen dinners. I'm just too tired after a full day of dog training. Plus, I have very little knowledge of campfires. I usually piggy back on friends who love campfires. I particularly like roasting hot dogs over an open fire.

So here is a fun thing for all you folks who value form and function: http://the-gadgeteer.com/2011/06/28/...the-bbq-sword/

BTW love the ideas on this thread. Maybe I'll have the energy to try some of them this winter.

Tags
microwave