Waffle CAST Iron - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2019, 11:13 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Mike, What is DW? Dear Wife?
Old 02-22-2019, 03:55 AM   #22

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by toothless25 View Post
I am looking for suggestions to a CAST waffle irons that I can use stove or fire.
I have a electric one for home I think I paided 30 dollars for ,
now I look for one in cast and they are expensive. 100 dollare or more.

I want something reasonable say 40 bucks but not china made

anybody find one?

i love waffles with vermont maple seems they are the quickest breakfast

Dave L
Here is a Wagner for $60.00, You can try making an offer on it via an email to the seller. Take it to a sheet metal shop and have it blasted with walnut shells to get all the rust off of it then clean and season it.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/6850414..._home_active_1
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:21 AM   #23

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
I have used the Rome type waffle maker for a few years, but will probably switch to the Lehmans small square one for two reasons.

1) The Rome one has a lot of smaller pattern "points" that tend to hold the waffle when done, and you often end up having to pry it out in more than one piece.

2) The handle gets as hot as the waffle iron itself so have to be very careful and use hot pan holders and have a safe place to set it when done so it doesn't mar or burn something up.

The Lehmans appears to have standard size "points", and a much longer handle with wooden handles.

https://www.lehmans.com/product/cast...kId=2615102814

If interested, I will send you my Rome one for the price of shipping.
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:17 AM   #24

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I always go to Amazon, because one of the first questions is always "where is it made?" and in this case (Rome) the answer was China.

I'm just going with what David said he wanted. It's a tough one. Made in Japan, for example often means super high quality. The same can be true for China. But figuring out which is which is sometimes a bit more research than you want to do for a waffle iron...

Lodge also makes seasoned steel pans, and I'm going to buy one of those soon and check it out. I don't mind hauling my one cast iron skillet around in the camper. I just keep it in the oven in a canvas grocery bag. But the thin, steel pans would be great for car camping trips. They're a bit more expensive but I assume they'll last a few decades. Carbon Steel.

I don't do aluminum or non stick.

As with everything in the information age...At one time you could find good cast iron in thrift stores. You still can. But everybody kinda knows about it now, so it goes fast. In most cases people are smarter now and rather than donate grandmas pans, they put them on ebay.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:53 PM   #25

Name: David
Trailer: U- Haul
Massachusetts
wow great response

I knew I would get a variity of replies on tghis blog, thank you all

no-stick and aluminum I have a fear of eating aluminum and teflon.. yuk

dave L
Old 02-22-2019, 06:23 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
no-stick and aluminum I have a fear of eating aluminum and teflon.. yuk

dave L

Look it up. Teflon ( none stick coatings ) and aluminum havn't been an issue for decades.

Here's one: https://www.treehugger.com/corporate...sure-myth.html
And, here's another: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...acid-pfoa.html
Old 02-23-2019, 09:17 AM   #27

Montana
Can't argue with the studies.

I still don't prefer it, but that'll make me feel better about using other people's pans when I house sit.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:40 PM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Castironitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
I have a collection of over 30 cast iron waffle irons. I have payed from $12 to $60 at antique stores. They can be purchased at reasonable prices if you look for brands other than Griswold.
I became afflicted with a mild case of castironitis when in the Boy Scouts as a Scoutmaster in the 90’s. It is a sinister affliction that sneaks up on you and like malaria it never quite goes away. In fact I had a little relapse last spring and bought an 8 inch Lodge Camp oven. Although slightly dated, an excellent article by Dave Horton of New York will make you aware of how bad this disease can be. Google “castironitis” and read his write up. It is sobering. I have purchased a few pieces of cast at garage sales but not often. I don’t often frequent thrift stores. Auctions are usually very competitive and without bargains in cast iron but can be a source at times. Small town antique stores can be a source too. In my experience they usually have common sized skillets. Good luck in your searching.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:16 PM   #29

Oregon
I get a funny grin on my face when people go nuts about using aluminum pots and pans thinking they are going to loose their minds from it.

After 15 years of long work days in an aircraft factory environment handling, drilling, sanding, riveting etc on aluminum parts and being where there was plenty of aluminum dust to breathe in from other people doing the same stuff I still did not get aluminum poisoning and I never heard of anyone working there who did have it.

Of course I was already crazy when I got there so you can't blame that on aluminum.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:26 PM   #30

Oregon
Something I learned recently, the #1 biggest enemy of non stick coating is using the pan on high heat. If you don't use them on high heat the coating holds up for a very long time. So don't pre-heat them to sizzling hot or use them for high temp frying and such. Non stick is not the right pan to choose for high temp searing for cooking rare steaks. But since burgers are best cooked starting with a cold pan and they stay juicier if you cook them on medium temperature it is great for them.

People who make pans can't teach people not to do the wrong thing with them because people often don't bother learning what not to do but instead think they already know all about something as simple as using pots and pans. Like I said, I did not learn that about non stick until very recently. It does not seem to be common knowledge.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:22 PM   #31

Smith Valley, Nevada
The biggest problem I've had with teflon pans is how fragile they are. I don't mind for myself, but teaching wives, girlfriends, kids, and house guests to be careful with them is a waste of time and doesn't always go over well. They all end up getting thrown out eventually. And regardless of whether teflon is dangerous or not, the idea of flakes of it in the food is not very appealing.

Now, the idea is to see how "non-stick" I can get the iron ones to be. And if someone uses a knife in one, or a metal spatula, or runs it up to a high temperature, so what?
Old 02-27-2019, 12:09 AM   #32

Wondering if you apply the same reasoning you use with non-stick pans to your trailer, your vehicle. Only good enough if you can abuse them?
Old 02-27-2019, 12:40 AM   #33

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Wondering if you apply the same reasoning you use with non-stick pans to your trailer, your vehicle. Only good enough if you can abuse them?
The point is: unavoidable accidental abuse that the pans can't take, vs durable pans that stand up to common practices. Should normal common practices be considered abuse? Or, how much training must one have to operate a frying pan?

One pan is over 80 years old and good as new, the other is anywhere from one week to two years old and either ruined or only used very carefully with an understanding of the strict limits.

Neither one is perfect. Nice to have choices.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:46 AM   #34

I'll give you that cast iron can take major abuse and be seasoned and carry on for many decades.
Just saying that if you don't crank the heat up to nuclear and if you avoid metal utensils, non-stick can last quite a long time.
Which is why I bought two T-Fal Professional 12" fry pans when they went on sale.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:06 AM   #35

Smith Valley, Nevada
Good advice.

I'll try to stay at sub-nuclear temperatures and mostly avoid using my jackhammer to flip the eggs.

One night, many years ago, I came home from a party and "warmed up" some left overs in my iron dutch oven, on high heat. Problem was, I went to sleep and didn't check on it until morning. All that was left was a thick black carbon lining in the pan. It was "enameled" with an interesting, black, baked on, brittle coating. A hand grinder would have been well suited to remove it.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #36

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
This thread has aggravated my "Castironitis" condition.
I was doing fine, and then after seeing this post ended up ordering the Rome cast iron waffle maker at Bed Bath and Beyond.
Then I realized I also "needed" the double cast iron pie iron.
They are on their way, once they arrive I'll clean and season them and add those to my collection.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #37

Montana
With all the information (and dis-information) out there, I always try not to be too judgmental of this kind of stuff. Science being what it is, it's always evolving. We've been told in the past that things were perfectly safe, and it turned out they weren't. Or told that they weren't and it turned out they were. Or sometimes just finally told "it depends". It's a process, rarely definitive.

The best you can do is look at the latest available science, then make an informed call on what you feel comfortable doing. I'm pretty confident that aluminum and teflon are safe, if used correctly. But I don't like them anyway Plus I like the extra skill cast iron takes.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:46 PM   #38

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
I am looking for suggestions to a CAST waffle irons that I can use stove or fire.
I have a electric one for home I think I paided 30 dollars for ,
now I look for one in cast and they are expensive. 100 dollare or more.

I want something reasonable say 40 bucks but not china made

anybody find one?

i love waffles with vermont maple seems they are the quickest breakfast

Dave L

You seem to have a problem with China made products??
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:04 PM   #39

Montana
Him and a lot of other people. Between the sheetrock used in FEMA trailers for Katrina, bad steel and other generally contaminated products, people are justified in being wary of Chinese made products.

China is booming and very unregulated, and you really need to be careful with goods sourced from there. Now not many people have a problem with cheap Chinese plastic, clearly, but with more durable goods and anything you're going to eat, I don't think caution is misplaced.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:43 PM   #40

Watch out for Romaine lettuce.
https://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/2018/o157h7-11-18/index.html