Waffle CAST Iron - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2019, 01:29 AM   #41

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post

Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:09 AM   #42

Name: Pete
Trailer: U-Haul 1986 -- got it 7/2013
Virginia
Registry
Cast Iron

An early poster in this thread wrote that there was little reason to be shy of cast iron just because it was made in China. Several other posters noted the absence of QC in China. Well, about 1970, having just moved out on my own, I bought a cheap set of frying pans, made in China, from a local discount store. I could see that the pans were ground asymmetrically, but that didn't bother me (didn't know better); when I unpacked them to use, and was washing them first, the handle and a large piece of the pan snapped off in my hand ! So the set went back, and I bought one pan at a thrift shop. I believe I still have it. I also inherited an iron pan from my grandmother's house and I still have it; it's probably older than I. Still works fine, doesn't stick if you follow the basic rules.

While I use nonstick, as a chemist I'm aware that overheating fluorocarbon polymers can release harmful gasses, but you have to REALLY heat it to break it down... maybe if you were trying to sear a steak, it would be hot enough. But not in ordinary frying/sauteeing. Last few years, I've bought a couple of the new "non-stick ceramic" pans and those seem to work very well, too. Ditto for one of those "copper" pans we see advertised on TV (I bought mine from the local remainder store). They all get a bit "stickier" the longer I use them but so far, they're OK.

While we're on cast iron: There's a really good kitchen gadget for cleaning cast iron; it looks like a swatch of stainless chain-mail. It will cut through the worst burnt-on crud quickly, won't damage the seasoning, and won't wear out. This happens to be an Amazon listing, but there are plenty of these out there, from restaurant-supply houses, and I expect Lehmann's and Gohn Bros. as well:

https://www.amazon.com/BroilPro-Clea...r=8-1-fkmrnull
Pete Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #43

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Crappy products can be found anywhere, but China is currently in a giant boom, and has been for a while, and there are some crazy practices going on. Think back to the days in the US when companies were selling sugar syrup with some bee parts thrown in and calling it honey. Some products were complete fakes. The amount of counterfeit goods produced and sold in China is crazy.

To make a sweeping generalization, Asian cultures tend to be very skilled and produce very high quality products. Chinese culture invented a lot of what we take for granted today, and just think of the Japanese commitment to quality and how it produced Toyota, Subaru and Honda as well as arguably the best knives, and in general just a very refined culture.

I love China and Asian culture in general, and the only time (so far) I've been overseas was to spend a month in China. But to love a place is to know it, the good and the bad.

What's going on in China in modern times is crazy. It's pretty smart to be wary of Chinese-made products.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:07 AM   #44

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This thread is becoming "political" and no longer about locating a USA made cast iron waffle maker. What has been lost here is that if the OP wants to find this particular product, he has every right to do so without being criticized. Lodge is far superior, and I say this with over 40 years of experience having had a variety of brands. I have shopped with Lehmans for probably 30 years and never been disappointed in anything I bought from them, and they are very good about answering questions about the products if you ask. I had the Rome waffle maker, used it one, and then donated it to thrift shop!

Just because you would make a different choice, it doesn't make the choice of another a wrong one, just a different one!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:17 AM   #45

Montana
Not sure where the politics is in the thread. But yes, everyone can make their own decision.

Threads wander. It's just what happens. The question has been answered, and now it's taken on another life. It's ok.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:47 AM   #46

Name: David
Trailer: U- Haul
Massachusetts
wow great response

again thanks with all the input, the only reason I said not China made is that who knows whats in their cast iron, known to put strange metals etc. into it
thats all.

I think of my FG trailer as the modern day covered wagon and irons are what cookie used to use.
I have three waffle, dutch, fry I can cook anything I am thinking of a pie iron
too. good for smores

Dave L
Old 02-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #47

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Just because you would make a different choice, it doesn't make the choice of another a wrong one, just a different one!

That applies to you too.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:57 AM   #48

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Crappy products can be found anywhere, but China is currently in a giant boom, and has been for a while, and there are some crazy practices going on. Think back to the days in the US when companies were selling sugar syrup with some bee parts thrown in and calling it honey. Some products were complete fakes. The amount of counterfeit goods produced and sold in China is crazy.

To make a sweeping generalization, Asian cultures tend to be very skilled and produce very high quality products. Chinese culture invented a lot of what we take for granted today, and just think of the Japanese commitment to quality and how it produced Toyota, Subaru and Honda as well as arguably the best knives, and in general just a very refined culture.

I love China and Asian culture in general, and the only time (so far) I've been overseas was to spend a month in China. But to love a place is to know it, the good and the bad.

What's going on in China in modern times is crazy. It's pretty smart to be wary of Chinese-made products.
Excellent post. Well said.

So much of the knee jerk hate for China is completely unfounded. It's a very complicated and extremely large culture. Partnering with the US for trade has changed the world. So many products we see are cheaply made, but were designed that way and marketed by US companies. When there, you see the industrialized modern society China really is, and the sincerity in their approach.

I encourage people to go and see for themselves. It's easy to travel there, the people are polite, gracious and friendly, the history is mind boggling, transportation makes the US look like it's stuck the 19th century with modern bullet trains, beautiful new bridges, modern highways and luxurious bus systems.

One minute you can be in an ancient palace and the next in the most modern city you've ever seen. In earlier centuries, they were the world's technological leader with ships, invention of the compass, explosives, rocketry, etc. China struggled for centuries to reform and stabilize. They went through some terrible times in the 20th century. So much of their history was destroyed and lost.

In school they learn English, they are taught our Constitution, learn about our presidents and literature and celebrate the Nobel Prize winners. Education is really important there and people work hard to make sure their kids get a college education.

Don't take my word for it, go see for yourself! That's what I did. I was curious, so I went to check it out and ended up going five times. Not on business, or paid for by someone else, I went to see it for myself. I met a Chinese woman that had been a middle school English teacher in the public schools for 20 years. I was invited to meet the students and speak to them in the classroom. Lovely young folks with a curiosity, sincerity and warmth that was wonderful. Selfishly, I took their teacher away and brought her to the US. Now, whenever she returns for a visit, her past students and co-workers gather from all around the country to celebrate with gifts and dinners.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:58 PM   #49

Montana
That's great.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:42 PM   #50

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Rome cast iron waffle maker

Tried out my new Rome waffle maker (made in China). Cleaned it well, and then seasoned it. Tried out on our kitchen gas stove and the waffles were pretty good! First one I didn't use enough batter and cooked it too dark but the next ones were better.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190301_101229.jpg   IMG_20190301_101312.jpg  

IMG_20190301_101617.jpg   IMG_20190301_103115.jpg  

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:19 PM   #51

Smith Valley, Nevada
Radar,

Do you turn it over half way through to cook the other side?
Old 03-02-2019, 09:22 PM   #52

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Radar,

Do you turn it over half way through to cook the other side?
Yes. Once I put the batter in, I flip it after a few seconds, cook 2 minutes, then flip it for 2 minutes on the other side.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:48 AM   #53

Montana
Looks good! A little lead is really nothing to worry about for adults anyway. Kidding, mostly, as I drink coffee out of my brand new unglazed clay coffee cup, straight from China.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1996.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	128186
Old 03-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #54

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Tried out my new Rome waffle maker (made in China). Cleaned it well, and then seasoned it. Tried out on our kitchen gas stove and the waffles were pretty good! First one I didn't use enough batter and cooked it too dark but the next ones were better.
Using a stove top waffle iron, becomes a bit of learning curve to get the time and temperature correct. Once learned, I find that I still have an occasional over cook. A key is watching the steam coming from the batter.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:14 PM   #55

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
It is not that likely the waffle irons from China have lead in them. But who knows for sure with all the metal recycling that goes on. However you easily can check for that by purchasing a 3M Lead Check test kit. You can find those lead testing kits at hardware and paint stores.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:43 AM   #56

Smith Valley, Nevada
It seems very unlikely, or nearly impossible that there can be lead in cast iron pans. This is because the temperature of iron when it is heated enough to pour into a mold must be above 1,523 degrees C by some margin. The boiling point of lead is 1,750 degrees C. So any lead present would very likely be boiled off as a gas during the process. That means there would not have been any lead in the scrap iron when it was previously molded into a previous product either. But the scrap could have had some lead on the surface if it was used as a container to melt lead in. Then it would boil off in the current molding process.

It seems far more likely that the trace elements in iron pans would be chrome, nickel, vanadium, zinc, manganese and carbon, for instance. It also seems silly to base the likelihood of lead in iron, on the country the iron came from. Heating iron and the casting process is the same here as on the other side of the planet. And lead is not part of that process. But it can be in enameling or glazing or making paint, etc. There could be lead in the baked on coating that some iron cookware comes with.

The only thing I can think of is that if the casting sand used to make the mold became contaminated with lead and then that lead melted and stuck to the surface of the hot iron while it was being poured. But lead is not part of the process.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:44 AM   #57

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
It is not that likely the waffle irons from China have lead in them. But who knows for sure with all the metal recycling that goes on. However you easily can check for that by purchasing a 3M Lead Check test kit. You can find those lead testing kits at hardware and paint stores.
Very interesting. I've never heard of these kits. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:13 AM   #58

Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Looks good! A little lead is really nothing to worry about for adults anyway.
Zach, thanks for the chuckle with the "adults" comment. I may be way wrong but if I had to guess at the average age of members here from comments....I'd bet that most of us have been getting mailers from AARP for many years . As we grew up in an era when almost everything had lead in it and we're still around, I'd certainly not worry about a Chinese waffle press. Now if it was made in Chernobyl, then I would worry .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:59 AM   #59

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This post should last a second or two.
If you're worried about lead, it's what bullets are made of. And there are a lot more bullets flying around than waffle pans.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #60

Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Truisms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
This post should last a second or two.
If you're worried about lead, it's what bullets are made of. And there are a lot more bullets flying around than waffle pans.
Or as Willie Nelson observed "there"s more old drunks than there are old doctors so i guess i better have another round."
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote