Want to have a cookie exchange? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Want to have a cookie exchange?

We could share a favorite cookie or candy recipe and perhaps a special memory attached to it. Anyone have a favorite they would like to share?
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
SEVEN LAYER BARS:

1 C. graham cracker crumbs. Mix in one stick melted butter. Press mixture in 9X13 pan. Sprinkle evenly (in the following order): 1 C. chocolate chips, 1 C. butterscotch chips, 1 C. walnut pieces, 1 C. shredded coconut, 1 can Eaglebrand sweetened condensed milk poured evenly on top. Bake @ 325 for half hour or until golden brown around the edges. Cut into squares. Indulge (leave room for Tums). So easy even I can do it.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
I love these, I had forgotten all about them, thank you. Terry R.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #4

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Born in Canada, came here to go to college, ended up staying, but EVERY Christmas we make Butter Tarts with walnuts, not pecans. My sons have even asked for the recipe so they can continue the tradition in their homes in Minnesota, Utah and California.
Here's a website with pics and good recipe, but following is my recipe. Enjoy, eh!

Butter Tarts
(A great Canadian tradition. Recipe from my disintegrating copy of circa 1960’s Manitoba Co-op Cook Book.)

Cream until soft 3 T butter
Gradually blend in 1 c brown sugar, lightly packed
Cream thoroughly.
Beat slightly 1 egg
Add egg to creamed mixture, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
Stir in ½ t salt
½ t vanilla
¼ c broken walnuts
½ c raisins or currants or mixture
Put a heaping teaspoonful of this mixture (or more, depending on size of shell) into unbaked tart shells. Bake at 375 deg F, until pastry is nicely browned. Makes 1 dozen medium sized tarts or 2 dozen midget tarts.

NOTES:
I usually double the recipe. For tart shells I use a boxed Pie Crust Mix thus avoiding the disaster of my homemade pie crust. A curvy Coca-Cola glass makes the perfect size (@3”) shell that is gently pressed into a regular muffin tin. I usually bake the tarts about 10-15 minutes until the creamed mixture is a medium golden brown. Use a thin-bladed dinner knife to separate the filling that has stuck to the muffin tin. Then let the tarts cool long enough to be able to lift them out with the knife. Move tarts to cooling racks. Can be frozen, but they usually don’t make it that far. Sometimes they don’t even make it to the tin. That’s why I started doubling the recipe.

Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Yum I love butter tarts, though I make them as bars.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I am of Italian descent, ergo the name Gilda (pronounced Jill-da). I made traditional biscotti today. This is already my second batch and it's not even Christmas yet! When we camp I make these with Trail Mix added to the batter making Trail Mix Biscotti. They are a welcome treat on the trail (or in camp) as they are delicious and last forever. In Italy people dunk them in wine but they are also good dunked in coffee, tea or milk. Enjoy! Note: Once you have fresh, homemade biscotti you will NEVER want store-bought again!

Biscotti (Twice-Baked Italian Cookies)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
(Optional: 2 tablespoons anise seed and 1/8 cup anise-flavored liqueur)
1 1/2 tablespoons Bourbon or 2 teaspoons vanilla and 2 tablespoons water
1 cup coarsely chopped almonds or walnuts OR 2 1/2 cups Trail Mix
3 eggs
2 3/4 cups regular all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder

Mix sugar with butter, anise seed, anise liqueur, Bourbon (or vanilla and water), and nuts. Beat in the eggs. Sift and measure flour and sift again with baking powder into the sugar mixture; blend thoroughly. Cover and chill the dough for 2 to 3 hours.

On a lightly floured board, shape dough (10 oz. each) with your hands to form flat loaves that are about 1/2 inch thick and 2 inches wide, and as long as your cookie sheets. Place no more than 2 loaves, parallel and well apart, on a buttered or parchment-lined cookie sheet (one without rims is best). Bake in 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and let loaves cool on pans until you can touch them, then cut in diagonal slices that are about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Lay slices on cut sides close together on cooky sheet and return to the oven (375 degrees) for 15 minutes more or until lightly toasted. Cool on wire racks and store in airtight containers or freeze. Makes about 4 dozen.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #7

Name: Gail & Tom O
Trailer: Eggcamper 2010
Maryland
peppermint shortbread cookies

These are great for Christmastime.
Attached Thumbnails
peppermint shortbread cookies.jpg  
Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #8

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
German Chocolate Bars

While I haven't yet made these, they sound delish and would be great while camping/hiking.

German Chocolate Bars

1 1/2 cups Medjool dates
1/2 cup Raw pecans
1/4 cup Unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup Navitas Naturals Cacao Nibs Sweet
1/4 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of (sea) salt

Put in processor, line bread pan with plastic wrap, press, form, chill, cut and eat!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil M. View Post
Born in Canada, came here to go to college, ended up staying, but EVERY Christmas we make Butter Tarts with walnuts, not pecans. My sons have even asked for the recipe so they can continue the tradition in their homes in Minnesota, Utah and California.
Here's a website with pics and good recipe, but following is my recipe. Enjoy, eh!

Butter Tarts
(A great Canadian tradition. Recipe from my disintegrating copy of circa 1960’s Manitoba Co-op Cook Book.)

Cream until soft 3 T butter
Gradually blend in 1 c brown sugar, lightly packed
Cream thoroughly.
Beat slightly 1 egg
Add egg to creamed mixture, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
Stir in ½ t salt
½ t vanilla
¼ c broken walnuts
½ c raisins or currants or mixture
Put a heaping teaspoonful of this mixture (or more, depending on size of shell) into unbaked tart shells. Bake at 375 deg F, until pastry is nicely browned. Makes 1 dozen medium sized tarts or 2 dozen midget tarts.

NOTES:
I usually double the recipe. For tart shells I use a boxed Pie Crust Mix thus avoiding the disaster of my homemade pie crust. A curvy Coca-Cola glass makes the perfect size (@3”) shell that is gently pressed into a regular muffin tin. I usually bake the tarts about 10-15 minutes until the creamed mixture is a medium golden brown. Use a thin-bladed dinner knife to separate the filling that has stuck to the muffin tin. Then let the tarts cool long enough to be able to lift them out with the knife. Move tarts to cooling racks. Can be frozen, but they usually don’t make it that far. Sometimes they don’t even make it to the tin. That’s why I started doubling the recipe.
Oh, man, my hubby's aunt made wonderful butter tarts!!
She used to bring them to every family gathering.
They're great with a hot cuppa tea
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote