We can bake bread over a open fire! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita
We can bake bread over a open fire!

Who knew? Ran across this pic and thought I would pass it along. Might have to try it out.

Personally, I don't think this would work for sweet type of breads (fire would give them a smokey flavor in my opinion) but for fresh bread with your grilling I think it just might work.

So has anyone ever tried it this way?
Attached Images

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
outdoor bread

Thanks Robin for opening this up. I've cooked a form of bread "bannock" in pots over fires but nothing like below.

For those of us who might want to be a little more primitive in our bread baking:

Best,
Ches
Chesley Sugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #3

Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesley Sugg View Post
Thanks Robin for opening this up. I've cooked a form of bread "bannock" in pots over fires but nothing like below.

For those of us who might want to be a little more primitive in our bread baking:

Best,
Ches

looks fun I may have to try that!
avfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Dutch Oven cooking is great fun. Most people today use briquettes instead of a fire. The legs that doesn't like fit over the briquettes for heating the bottom.
I have a very simple recipe that uses a bottle of beer instead of the yeast.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #5

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I think the basic idea is great but I'm concerned about that fire on the ground. To me it looks like a wildire waiting to happen. Whoever made this clip apparently doesn't believe in "Leave nothing behind but footprints - take nothing away but photos and memories'!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
That bread had way too much flour, just in case some one decides to give it a try. Or you can add more water.

Have made biscuits inside a lidded grill. Have yet to try yeast bread.

I have made bread in our dutch oven several times and it works great! Just have to keep enough coals on top to get a nice color.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
I think the basic idea is great but I'm concerned about that fire on the ground. To me it looks like a wildire waiting to happen. !

My thoughts exactly! But I live in a wildfire zone so that is the first thing that came to mind.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #8

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Hmmm. I like the idea of only one rise.

His fire looked safe to me. We can't see if it was damp ground or not, he had a shovel, and the fire was kept small.

Not using a rock ring is more of a Leave No Trace method. Then, after the ashes are good and cold and wet--I presume a creek was nearby, you work them into the ground, sprinkle some needles or leaves over, and it looks like no fire was there.

The traditional rock ring is good to put a rack across, rest feet on, put things on to keep warm. It can supply excitement if the rocks explode. It doesn't keep a fire from spreading. Raking the leaves and fir needles out from the fire area will do that. And not burning during a wind storm or dry conditions will also help.

On one camping trip, the woods were dry and the wind was blowing in from the east, so we only lit some small candles for our "fire". They were on top of a rock. It worked. It wasn't cold so we survived.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
We used to make a stiff dough and wrap around a stick about an inch or two thick. Roast like a hot dog over the coals. Wrap around, pinch together, spiral wrap, then around and pinch that end. Slide off when done. Might have used Bisquick. Was yummy with butter, sugar and cinnimon for breakfast.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #10

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We used to do that many years ago when I was a little Girl Guide in England!

The camping we did was very 'basic', canvas tents, groundsheets, blanket rolls, girls helping with meal making over a wood fire, chopping firewood, hauling water with buckets, trench style latrines etc. Excellent training for adulthood. You just never know when a sixtyish woman will need to tie a bowline!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
We used to do that many years ago when I was a little Girl Guide in England!

You just never know when a sixtyish woman will need to tie a bowline!
Learned it when my daughter was a Brownie (in US group before Girl Scouts) I don't know about a bowline but I liked the idea that my daughter was learning how to be self sufficient using very little and work with a group of other girls to accomplish common goals. Surely life skills of value.

Did you learn that knot as the rabbit comes out of his hole, goes around the tree, sees a weasel and jumps back in the hole? I had forgotten that, you post reminded me and made me laugh.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote