What are the easiest meals to cook while camping? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-26-2019, 03:31 PM   #57

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Thank you Walt. I will think about this a bit more, looks very interesting. What do you use when on shore power?
For the most part shore power doesn't change my cooking practices.
I do use some electric appliances a little, but without shore power I can run them either from my generator or 1500watt inverter.

Walt

Old 04-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #58

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
One weekend, as I was leaving to camp, I grabbed a loaf of bread, some sliced cheddar, a package of lunch meat, and some fruit to tide me over for the travel day. I was fully intending to get to the grocery store after I set up camp. But I never got to the store and I had the most relaxing weekend just eating sandwiches, toasting the bread with cheese, and snacking on fruit. I never even went to the store. It was glorious.

Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:51 AM   #59

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Pam Garlow: now that's my kind of easy camp "cooking!"
Old 04-14-2019, 11:54 PM   #60

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
One weekend, as I was leaving to camp, I grabbed a loaf of bread, some sliced cheddar, a package of lunch meat, and some fruit to tide me over for the travel day. I was fully intending to get to the grocery store after I set up camp. But I never got to the store and I had the most relaxing weekend just eating sandwiches, toasting the bread with cheese, and snacking on fruit. I never even went to the store. It was glorious.
yup. gimme some sharp white cheddar, whole grain bread, maybe some lunch meats like a good dry pepper salami, or roast beef, and a couple spreads for variety (hot mustard, tapenade, onion/pepper relish, etc), and I'd be happy for the weekend. of course, if my wife throws in a freezer bag with a couple of her home made meatballs in tomato sauce, oh boy, that will get me through the better part of a week.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:27 AM   #61

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I have electricity so rarely when camping, I'm not sure what to do when we have it.
Hawkins has a line of small to large non-electric pressure cookers that are work well on a camp stove and help save $ on propane

Like others, I start out with about 2 days of fresh home cooked meals and then for about 3 more days eat meals that have been in my fridge thawing from frozen. After that I enjoy easy, usually one pan quesedillas, wraps, hashes or scrambles, quinoa bowls with cooked and fresh toppings, basically anything quick and easy but filling and nutritious.
As backup I always have packages of precooked flavoured rices to use in rice and beans and quick curries. I find that cooking rice and pasta takes too much of my valuable water and packaged rice like those from Tasty Bites are quite good. For really lazy days or after a long day's drive, their packages veggie curries are a welcome treat as well.
Patricia D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:31 AM   #62

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21
CA
a lot of our meals are baked in the propane oven. casseroles, toasted sandwiches, baked home cooked frozen meals ... we don't use a pressure cooker hardly at all at home either.

I realize the freezing thing is only good for relatively finite length trips, I think our max has been 3 weeks.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #63

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I may take a small stove top Presto pressure cooker this camping season. We use a crockpot more than a pressure cooker at home. Crockpot maybe 5 or 6x a year, pressure cooker maybe 2x a year. Thats why we don't have an Instant Pot, probably would not use that huge thing much.

This season cooking stuff:

Camp Chef Blind II stove
Blackstone tabletop Griddle
Electric Griddle
Dutch oven
Coleman 2 burner gas stove
Firecamp grill
Svea 123R

I do the cooking. Omelets, corned beef hash, breakfast burritos for breakfast. Now that we have an oven, maybe pizza. Otherwise the usual steak (soaked in Dale's seasoning for abt 20 minutes prior to burning...er...grilling. Try it, you may really like it), hamburger, grilled shrimp, fajitas; simple and fast. Always looking for new, SIMPLE, recipes.

Rzrbrn is online now   Reply With Quote

« Lemonade | - »